black and tan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

black and tan

Post by michael_coleman »

So the group I recently formed to play for a creative arts forum goes under the name Black and Tan because the fiddle player is English and the rest of us are Irish. And it tends to be our favorite drink. Wish us the best, we practiced again tonight it sounded great, about 500 people usually show up, so the craic will be grand!!!
nickt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nickt »

Have a great craic!

I have to admit (as an Englishman) I don't understand the black and tan bit - are the Irish black or tan or the English? What do the black and tan relate to? The only ref I have is the Scottish regiment from the 1916 Easter Uprising who wore black uniforms with tan leather - they were Glaswegian thugs who did lasting damage to Anglo-Irish relations. You'd be a brave man to go into an Irish pub calling yourselves "Black and Tan"!

Nick
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Wombat

Re: black and tan

Post by Wombat »

michael_coleman wrote:So the group I recently formed to play for a creative arts forum goes under the name Black and Tan because the fiddle player is English and the rest of us are Irish. And it tends to be our favorite drink. Wish us the best, we practiced again tonight it sounded great, about 500 people usually show up, so the craic will be grand!!!
The best of luck Michael. Are you quite sure that's the name you want to use, though? :o

[Edited to add that, as I posted, Nick spelt it out explicitly. We Aussies have such a sensitive feel for history, eh? Well, Nick's really english but he's sensitive too.]
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'd agree with Nick. I'd never even consider the name Black and Tan. Here's a link with a little more B&T information.

http://www.irish-society.org/Hedgemaste ... k-tans.htm

Good luck

Steve

PS. Also check this link. Read the instructions to the Black and Tan police. Nice!

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_and_tans.htm
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I believe the black is Guinness (Irish) and the tan is Bass (English)...although this varries from pub to pub. Seems to be a popular drink in "Irish" pubs in America...not sure about elsewhere.

-Brett
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bretton wrote:I believe the black is Guinness (Irish) and the tan is Bass (English)...although this varries from pub to pub. Seems to be a popular drink in "Irish" pubs in America...not sure about elsewhere.

-Brett
We have those drinks here. Nobody minds the name for the drink but, Michael, for a band, I'd change that name really quickly before someone does or says something very ugly. We're not kidding; those guys were every bit as bad as their reputation suggests.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael, I have to toss my hat in with the cautionary ring. That's a fraught name. I don't even drink Black-and-Tans because of the historical associations (but I could always get over myself :) ), even though it's been said that the drink is a remembrance of ugliness past.

Best,
N
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Very interesting, I had no idea that is where the association for the drink Black and Tan came from. Perhaps you should go with the name "half & half" instead. Thanks for the history lesson SteveK.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Try this black and tan beer. Sounds yummy.

http://www.arizonabev.com/csr/MSmud.htm

Steve
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

SteveK wrote:Try this black and tan beer. Sounds yummy.

http://www.arizonabev.com/csr/MSmud.htm

Steve
It's excellent beer and comes in a cool jug, which I have on display in my computer/music room.
Seth

Post by Seth »

This is indeed a touchy subject. My band once got someone yelling at us just when we introduced the next song we were going to play as Black and Tans. He did calm down once he found that the song was making fun of them.

I'd still say go with the name though if that's what you're attached to. Just realize that it may make you some enemies you don't want.

Seth
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You'll still find folks who lost grandparents in the "Black and Tan War." The Irish have long memories, and still scare their children with stories of Cromwell, from the 1650s, so you can bet they remember the horror of the Black and Tans.
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

This stuff is VERY GOOD.

http://www.saranac.com/blackandtan.html

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Wizzer

Re: black and tan

Post by Wizzer »

michael_coleman wrote:So the group I recently formed to play for a creative arts forum goes under the name Black and Tan because the fiddle player is English and the rest of us are Irish. And it tends to be our favorite drink. Wish us the best, we practiced again tonight it sounded great, about 500 people usually show up, so the craic will be grand!!!
My mother used to tell me stories about the Black and Tans. How the people of Monahan were at the mercy of their capricious ways. How when she was born and my grandparents wanted to have her baptized that they had to have a neighbor hide her on the way to the church. Her name was to be Maurine but the church at the direction of the government would not give any child an Irish name.
If she were alive today and she hear that you are making light of the suffering of so many Irish men and women she would defiantly be at any venue you played at with al large sign and even louder voice to educate you to the folly off your ways.
You need to be ashamed off your self for making light the suffering of the people of Ireland as they fought for the dignity.
If you play in my area I will fill her shoes and be there myself.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Gunnar wrote:Very interesting, I had no idea that is where the association for the drink Black and Tan came from. Perhaps you should go with the name "half & half" instead. Thanks for the history lesson SteveK.
A Half & Half is a different drink. Whereas a Black & Tan is Guinness and ale (usually Bass) a half & Half is a Guinness and lager (usually Harp)

Cheers,
Aaron