Mic for making Clips & Snips recordings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Mic for making Clips & Snips recordings

Post by jim_mc »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent mic, under $100 (preferably well under $100) that a marginally technologically inept person could hook up to their computer to make some simple recordings? I'm just looking to put some files up on Clips and Snips, and maybe make some simple instructional CD's for my fife students.

Thanks!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I just use an omnidirectional mic from Radio Shack. Make sure the window of your fipple is fairly close to the mic. If you want to get a little fancier I think Radio Shack sells lavaliers. You could blue-tak one of those to your whistle. All of these options should be in the $20 range.
Cheers,
Aaron
Mike J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mike J »

I’m afraid I can’t give you an answer; but I was going to be posting the same question shortly once I had done a little bit more research. Now that you’ve saved me the trouble, I’ll sit back and watch the responses.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

There was an extensive and exhaustive discussion of microphones a few months ago. I went with advice given and paid about $80 for a sony mic. It works great. Someone else spent $35 for a Radioshack mic which sounded just fine.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I'm curious if they make a mic that can attach to the whistle itself right above the window. That way you have some movement and don't have to be so still trying to keep the window directional to the mic.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Gunnar wrote:I'm curious if they make a mic that can attach to the whistle itself right above the window. That way you have some movement and don't have to be so still trying to keep the window directional to the mic.
I'd get a tie-tack type microphone, and either blue-tack it, or arrange another mount to keep it on the whistle.

Aodhan
revwhit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by revwhit »

O.k. - Don't laugh. I take a clip mic and clip it to the brim of a base ball cap. The mic sits about 3 to 4 inches above the fipple. :oops: I look stupid - but it sounds good.

Whit
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I use a Shure SM57. The mic was about $80. The mic input on my sound card doesn't give enough gain for this mic, so I use a preamp (also around $80) and run it into the line input. It works great, but I don't think it sounds any better than Tony Higgins' setup.