looking for a mellow sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

looking for a mellow sound

Post by davidbruce »

Good evening, all. I'm a piper, but making the transition to whistle. I hope some of you experienced musicians can help me find a whistle that is right for me.
I am looking for a mellow sound. The mass produced inexpensive whistles I have are a bit too shrill (which is upsetting for my wife and our daschund.) Also, I think the quality control is not an exact science.
Most Highland Pipes are made of blackwood which gives a rich, full sound. Some are now being made of delrin, and, although the jury is still out, many pipers believe that the sound is not as rich, and may be a bit harsher. Is this true of whistles? Will a wood whistle have a more mellow sound than either metal or delrin/pvc/polymer? What whistle will give me a good mellow sound, and likely be in tune with itself? I would prefer not to have to spend all the grocery money on a whistle, so price will be a bit of a factor. That said, better to buy once and buy well. (I can live on peanut butter.)
I am also looking for a book or a book-and-CD that will help me to learn. I can read music, and am able to play a few slow airs on whistle now, but I have nobody to teach me about embellishments or to make sure I am not developing some bad habits. Is there a good self-tutor programme you might recommend?

I have read through a lot of the forum topics. This is a great site, and the contributors are to be commended for your willingness to take the time to post thoughtful comments. Many thanks to all of you.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: looking for a mellow sound

Post by Katharine »

Are you willing to try lower-pitched whistles, or do you definitely want to work with the D whistles? Even a B-flat whistle is more tolerable (it is the highest-pitched whistle my cat will stand for, so I know of what I speak!).

You could also try muting your whistle, which makes it much easier to deal with (though I know that's a challenge for a new player who is also working on tone). I personally use a piece of tape across about the lower half of the tone hole, others like to use a piece of poster putty on the ramp of the windway, and then some even insert a toothpick.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My suggestion: look at the whistles by Carey Parks. I especially like his Bb - it's pitched a little lower and has a built-in muffler.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Clarke Original whistles are quite soft and mellow. Pretty inexpensive, and they can be customized (search for tweaking a Clarke whistle).
As for the instruction materials, this is among the best: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if you're looking for a whistle that doesn't sound like a whistle. I think you may have a long and fruitless search ahead.

Mike
megapop

Post by megapop »

The mass produced inexpensive whistles I have are a bit too shrill
Which are...? There are considerable differences even among those cheapies. I'd consider Walton's whistles quite mellow, for example. But I concur with Mike; and they'll all be louder in the upper range, and, depending on the key, potentially likely to be perceived as "shrill"... so maybe you want a whistle that is more quiet in general, but probably has a rather weak bottom end then. Trying a Bb is another good suggestion here.

FWIW, IMHO the whistle with the most mellow upper range is the Dixon Trad line.
Some are now being made of delrin, and, although the jury is still out, many pipers believe that the sound is not as rich, and may be a bit harsher. Is this true of whistles? Will a wood whistle have a more mellow sound than either metal or delrin/pvc/polymer?
No, not per se I'd say. The discussion of wood vs. polymer rages on here as well; however, in a whistle the voicing is far more important than the material anyway.
Last edited by megapop on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
return null;
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum.

For a tutorial you might consider Mary Bergin's book(s) with CDs.
http://maryberginwhistle.com/

There are several tutorials printed/CD, DVD or on-line instruction, even Skype live lessons available. I always say to look in your local area for any support from whistle/flute players who may be able to help.

Have fun and enjoy! :)
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi davidbruce

As a piper that likes slow airs on whistle, how about this one.

Passing Places - Fred Morrison

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Another thing to consider is experience. Not sure how long you have been playing whistle, but I'm sure we all recognize that starting point where second octave made everyone within a 10-mile radius-- us included-- shriek "OMG CALL THE PRIEST AND KILL IT WITH FIRE!" It gets better, I promise. It will always be high-pitched, and even somewhat shrill, because that's just par for the course with a high whistle. But eventually you'll stop having to cringe when you get into second-octave territory.

(Depending on your whistle, the poster-putty tweak-- where you fill the void in the head-- can also be helpful on the 2nd-octave front. I was amazed how much easier it made my Walton.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

The Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog is quite mellow. So are older Feadogs.

And Shearwater make a Session (!) whistle which is fairly loud but with a very mellow tone. A lot more fipple than chiff though…

BTW I am referring to high D whistles.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I know what you're after. I had much the same problem in looking for a whistle that wasn't overly piercing and had a "rounder" quality to it. After many trials, tribulations, and a significant amount of my college food budget spent on whistles, I learned something rather important. People on the forum had tried to tell me this, but I had to experience it myself: the whistle really is only half the equation. I can change the sound of my whistle by how I breathe with it, and whistles I previously hated became very, very dear to me.

However, you *do* want to choose a whistle that suits your playing style. I find that I like a whistle that doesn't take a lot of air, and only needs a gentle breath. So many whistles these days have much greater resistance, (I think to accomodate folks that don't want to learn breath control, but that's just my opinion). To me a whistle should be bright and clean in tone, easy to blow, and be capable of playing light and crisp.

I breathe (not blow) my whistles from a very open throat and relaxed face. This has helped a LOT in terms of tone. Don't be afraid of your high notes, as this will increase the tension in your body and make the notes shrill. To me, playing a whistle is best done by relaxing as hard as you can.

Here are some whistles I feel support a player seeking these qualities that I have personal experience with:
Copeland
Sindt
Burke Narrow Bore, Brass
Freeman Bluebird, tweaked Generation
Classic Generation
Clarke SweetTone

And my new favorite: Noah Talmadge. He's a very new maker, but his headjoint design is the best I've ever seen, and the tone incredibly pleasing. However, he's still working on getting the bodies to tune to a natural playing pressure, so one has to be patient when ordering a whistle from him. His lower keys, however, are uniformly excellent from the get-go. Get the aluminum bodies though.

Hope this was helpful, and as always, it's only my personal experience and opinion.
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

Here's a second vote for the mellow dog -- just an outstanding whistle that I've always felt sounds warm. I don't get the same vibe from my freeman bluebird (I like it but it's very sweet and occasionally shrill to my ears) nor my Freeman-tweaked Gen D (not shrill, but I wouldn't call it warm), but I do get it from Jerry's tweaked Gen G, A, and Bb (especially the Bb). Re price points, even used wood whistles are going to run you 3x+ the cost of a mellow dog with a C and D body, and I don't think you could do better for the price than the mellow dog. And the aesthetics are nice -- Jerry is now adding a thin brass ring at the base of the green head (to prevent splitting) and the sticker is now gold on a brass body (looks aren't everything, but it's an attractive whistle). Anywy, my two bits -- good luck.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

Many thanks to everyone who offered these insightful and thoughtful posts. There is a great deal to consider. It appears from these posts and from all that I have read elsewhere that there are several good options.
It seems that whistles are like good bottles of wine....a $50 bottle may be very good, but not necessarily 5x as good as a $10 bottle. (I know there are some problems with that analogy, but, you get the picture.)
As to mellow, I wonder if a better adjective might be "round" or "warm." I may well pick up a Bflat, such as a Walton or Feadog. I have a bit of a problem with the seam on the Clarkes, although I do like the sound of the Clarke Original.
In addition, I think I might try either a Mellow D (Walton) or one of Jerry Freeman's tweaked whistles in D. A Mellow Dog may be the answer there. After all, you can never have too many whistles.
Regards to all.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

davidbruce wrote:After all, you can never have too many whistles.
Now you've got the idea.... :D

(By the way, I vote for the Freeman Mellow Dog as a great starter whistle.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I'll throw in a suggestion for the Parks Ghost Whistle. It's hard to make generalizations about whistle materials, but I have the sense that metal whistles "ring" a bit more, particularly if the metal used is thin. The Parks Ghost is made of a clear food-grade material, similar to aquarium tubing, but stiffer. The sound is very clear, with no "ringing" or other noise at all. And at $30 it's very affordable. It's a bit louder than the Dixon Trad, or the Clarke whistles already mentioned, so it holds up pretty well in sessions, but not the least bit harsh.

For what it's worth, I also have an aversion to a certain character in a whistle that I'm describing as "harshness." It's hard to put in words, but it's a kind of sound, in the second octave, that has a hint or "echo" of the lower, fundamental pitch leaking through. It bothers me, and I just won't play a whistle like that. I like a pure tone in the second octave. The Ghost has that. I agree with megapop that the Dixon Trad has a very pure second octave, too.