Is rosewood undervalued as a flute wood?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Is rosewood undervalued as a flute wood?

Post by jemtheflute »

an seanduine wrote:'Rosewood', without a scientific name is meaningless. . .
My 1st response point, pretty much.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

an seanduine wrote:For clarity's sake I would prefer not to use the catchall name 'rosewood'... It's a very large family with colors and characteristics all over the map. 'Rosewood', without a scientific name is meaningless. . .
Bob
Here's a few, then:

http://www.wood-database.com/?s=rosewood

We can proceed now, if there's anywhere to go.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Kevin, I think I can explain why I think it is problematic to proceed, but you will have to indulge me since my reasons are somewhat verbose.
You are well aware that it is difficult to identify wood without a microscopic examination. Ordinarily we rely on a trusted chain of custody from harvest and correct botanical identification to manufacture. In the absence of that or the examination of the piece in question microscopically. the identification of wood is mostly putative.
Thirty-five years ago I took my turn at making flutes. Primarily cylindrical bore 'folk' flutes in the keys of F and G. I sold them at festivals to 'free spirits' (hippies). Had I made the intuitive leap Doug Tipple made with regards to the 'wedge', I might well still be doing something in that area. (What makes this more curious in retrospect is the fact that I had met Raoul Fajardo and discussed his invention!).
I still have on hand several flutes in cocobolo from that time. They are so dark now that they are indistinguishable from several antique flutes I have which are putatively made of cocus. I made flutes from Dalbergia Latifolia, Macassar Ebony, Dalbergia Nigra (pre-CITES), Honduran Rosewood (Dalbergia Stevonsii) and Padouk. I 'knew' what those woods were by the assertion of my supplier. Even here I think the operative word is 'putative'.
I can speak about the finishing and machineability of these woods, but I cannot speak to their long-term suitability in terms of stability
since I lost touch with many of their owners. In short I'm not sure if there is anywhere to go from here.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

an seanduine wrote:In short I'm not sure if there is anywhere to go from here.
Bob
Somehow, Jim will find a way.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

kkrell wrote:
an seanduine wrote:In short I'm not sure if there is anywhere to go from here.
Bob
Somehow, Jim will find a way.
:lol:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to all. I think my original question was answered by information about rosewood's being endangered, its unavailability and expense and also the allergenic risks of working with the stuff. One wrinkle seems to be that rosewood flutes are in fact being produced in large numbers by an American flutesmyth, and these flutes cost significantly less than their blackwood flutes. Some of the pictures I'm linking to are of flutes in higher keys, but lots of regular D flutes are also being produced in rosewood (at least that's what the maker calls the wood) at a much cheaper price than blackwood. It would be interesting to figure out what's going on.

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/folkfifes.html

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/irishflutes.html
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I dunno about the fife, but the F, G, and A flutes/folk fifes on the Sweetheart site appear to be Honduran rosewood, D.stevensonii. It's a fine tone wood, density about 0.9. It's not nearly as resinous as African blackwood, and coarser grained, a little more susceptible to tearing while you're working it. I have a strong preference for ABW or kingwood in terms of workability.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Let's not forget that African Blackwood is a rosewood too, Dalbergia melanoxylon.
Play Happy
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No, if you check the thread you'll see we haven't forgotten. And the distinctions you and others are proffering are worth counting, IMO, and interesting in their own right. Still, talk of 'rosewood' simpliciter isn't meaningless unless, of course, the Sweetheart flute site is meaningless. I did ask Ralph once about the acoustic difference between their rosewood flutes and their blackwood flutes. He said they sound different 'under the ear' of the player, but the audience can't hear the difference. As Sweetheart is making lots of these flutes, and pricing them well below their blackwood flutes, one supposes they may have found a way around some of the rosewood-related impediments mentioned in this thread. Thanks again for the conversation, Jim
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

No problem, Jim.

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Maurice Reviol also seems to like Honduran rosewood. In fact, I just sold one on Ebay. I thought it had a nice warm tone, very pleasant. I would not think of this wood as being inferior to blackwood at all although I agree it is not quite as biting. I only sold it because I promised myself that when I bought my R & R that I would try to sell a couple of flutes and I thought that one had a chance of being picked up in this very down market. It was and I think the buyer got a very nice flute. I don't know about Indian rosewood, but Honduran is an excellent tone wood. So limiting my answer to the O.P. to Honduran, I think he may have a point.
Favourite Flute

Post by Favourite Flute »

I love my Casey Burns "Honker" made of Honduran rosewood.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Here's another maker (http://www.martindoyleflutes.com/flutes.html).

'Martin Doyle's keyless flutes are made from the best hardwoods: African blackwood, cocus, boxwood and rosewood.'
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

FWIW, I just saw this on a hardwoods web site:

Please note: On June 12th, 2013 Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) was listed on CITES Appendix II which placed strict regulations on the international trade of the species.

I had no idea it was being harvested so quickly.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.