OT - . . . gasp . . . OH NO!! MORE SNOW!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - . . . gasp . . . OH NO!! MORE SNOW!!

Post by mamakash »

Hey, kids, just when you thought the winter was behind us.

exerpt from weather channel.com . . .

"Heavy, wet snow (see Storm Watch) is likely over extreme southern New York, most of Pennsylvania, western Maryland (and the adjacent mountains of West Virginia) and northern New Jersey. During the afternoon, the wintry glop is forecast to plunge into southern New England, too. New York City may end up in the center of this wintry redux with six or more inches of snow a good bet to constrict (see python reference) travel in and around the Big Apple. The Washington-Baltimore area probably will mark the southern extent of this out-of-season foolishness, with a mix of sleet and cold rain likely there. Philadelphia, however, seems destined to be hammered by a mix of slushy snow and sleet while Boston should see all snow (beginning tomorrow afternoon), but maybe not so much as New York. At this rate, it may be summer before spring grabs a toehold in the Northeast. "

For God's sakes, we just turned the clocks ahead for Daylight saving time, I'm looking forward to balmy evening walks when I get home from work. The dafodils are up.
Is anyone finding this weather a tad depressing? :(

Just hope that everyone who lives in the area will take care getting to work tomorrow. Maybe the weather will fool us and we won't get snow, after all.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Last I heard a forecast, we're supposed to get about 6 inches around the Chicago/Milwaukee area too. :o Just in time for opening day at Wrigley Field tomorrow. But the good news is it's also supposed to be in the 60's by Friday, so it won't last long. As they say around here, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, and it'll change....

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

It snow again here too. Last night. (The day before it was seventy out and I wore a summer dress.) The trees had been getting leaves and some of my bulbs had been coming up too! :( Well, I guess we won’t have to worry so much about drought, now, will we? :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Looks like the snow will miss us, but rain and lows about freezing can make for some really nasty travelling. The real worry looks like Tuesday night witha forecast low of 23. The trees are all budding and the warm weather last week caudsed a lot of the local farmers to get the seed in. 23 degrees could mean a major hurt for some of them. Last Wednesday it was 81. Sheesh!
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Another dull sunny day in Southern California, probably in the 80's. Yes, I really don't like it.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Michael, if you were here right now, I'd push you into a snowbank. :wink:

Just kidding. It hasn't started snowing yet, but they are predicting 8 inches here. April is the cruelest month.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
hank123

Post by hank123 »

Michael,
you didn't tell them thats its been a little windy lately. It's so windy I couldn't really go surfing this morning and the chop makes the dive conditions poo also. This cursed California weather. I'm sure everybody back east would love to push us into snowbanks, but I swear I was complaining to my better half this morning about the slightly windy weather here in Long Beach. I actually put a sweater on for this evenings backyard BBQ. Rough I tell you, rough.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Just teasing, hank.... my heart does go out for you on that sweater thing though, that is rough. ;)

The weather has been pretty gorgeous here in Atlanta, despite a wee bit of rain. It's 7:30 in the morning, and 62 degrees right now--with thunderstorms predicted. Maybe the rain will wash away the film of green covering everything. Gotta love the spring pollen in Atlanta!! You drive down the spring-green pavement, leaving tire tracks behind. :-D

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Dunno about sunny California weather-it must stay south of Susanville this time of year.
I drove Hwy. 44 & 89 from Susanville on Friday following a snowplow through the McCoy Flat/Lassen/Shasta area, and questioned my prudence twenty miles in with no traffic following, only an overturned semi in the opposite direction and white-out falling snow. -Hit snowfall at the same location the previous week in the other direction. It did look pretty good the previous day along the eastern shoulder of Death Valley while motoring past Beatty, Mina & Goldfield, Nevada in the high desert. This is a landscape of majestic landforms and old mining towns trying to eke out a modern living, another portion of the surfeit of mountain
scenery throughout the interior west. -Good birdwatching too, but whistling tends to be difficult in the constant wind, never allowing a metal whistle to warm up. The desert south of Tucson, however, will make a soprano aluminum whistle sing like a bird in the desert heat. No warmup problems here!
HDSarah

give us back our weather

Post by HDSarah »

Ok, first you Lower-48* types steal our weather, and then you complain about it, too! You've taken more than your share of that lovely cold and snow all winter. If you've had your fill, please send your leftovers north. We have a pitifully thin snowpack, and it's all going to melt away really fast, and then we won't be able to cross-country ski again until October. :cry:
Many of us here would like a nice dump of snow to keep the trails fresh for a couple more weeks. Summer's nice, but in moderation. :)

*Lower 48 is Alaskan slang for the 48 contiguous states of the U.S.

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Sarah,

I know the folks out west and out east got more than their fair share of snow this year, but around the midwest area we had a very dry winter. Basically no snow to speak of. In fact, I think it's the first winter in a long time that we haven't had any snow storms with an accumulation of 6" or more. The cross country skiiers and the snowmobilers have had it rough this year. And the farmers have been very worried about the dry subsoil conditions. The good news is even though it's been dry it's been really cold, so the experts say a lot of the mosquito larvae have probably been killed off - makes it a more comfortable summer not to mention that whole West Nile Virus business. (This year the state wants the local public health departments to do throat swabs on dead birds for testing for WNV - yuk! :boggle:
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Brian, what were you doing in Susanville? I am originally from Redding and yeah, it makes sense that it is a bit colder in NorCal. They actually have seasons.

Hank, I was out at Bolsa Chica last Friday to surf, but there was a sandstorm on the beach, the sand actually hurt my face. We had a hard time even getting out to the ocean because it was so windy and our boards acted like sails, crazy :boggle: !!
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

It's 5:40 pm now, and I can say that most of the wintery mix is finished. Snowed heavy, though, around noon. Its a wet, heavy snow, all the trees are coated, awfully pretty. It reminds me of one of the "Little House" books, in where Laura Ingalls related a spring snowfall as a "sugar snow". Supposedly, the maple trees get their sap slowed down by a late snow, which makes for better sap gathering. Life is so much easier now. When I get the hankering for syrup, I just shoplift the boysenberry bottle from the IHOP. :D

And speaking of smilies . . . has anyone ever abused their smiley privileges on this board?
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I guess I'll chip in my two bits. We had snow here all day. That's not so bad. last week we had freezing rain complete with falling branches and power outages. The ice is still falling off rooftops. The snow today is a relief. We were told there might be more freezing rain. The first line of the song I'll Remember April is something about "this lovely day" ha.

Steve
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Michael-Susanville was enroute to Tucson to see snowbird parents, but the trip usually goes by air. California is so full of neat features that going by too fast seems a shame. Death Valley in early spring is a fine place, as is Hwy.395 to Bishop and parts south. You live in one fine state!

Best Regards,
Brian O.