another question about terminology

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
john

another question about terminology

Post by john »

just a simple question

in irish music there are countless occasions when you have a pattern of notes that involves alternation between a dominant sounding note and a bunch of other notes - some tunes that come to mind that typify this are 'peter street[f# to d, a to d, b to d, cnat to d etc]', 'the galway rambler'[b to g, d to g, e to g, b to g etc], 'the harvest home'[c# to a, e to a, f# to a etc]. forgive me my crappy notation, but if you know the tunes you'll know what I'm getting at - I just want to know what it's called

thanks
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: another question about terminology

Post by Nanohedron »

I know it as "pedal point". IIRC it's originally an organist's term that has been borrowed into broader parlance.

If there are other terms for it, I don't know any.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I realize that in some ways this is a neologism, but I would suggest the use of the word trope. I don't mean it in any way like the Medieval usage, but rather as an expansion of the Twentieth Century usage, to wit: "The primary purpose of the tropes is not analysis (although it can be used for it) but composition. A trope is neither a hexatonic scale nor a chord. Likewise, it is neither a pitch-class set nor an interval-class set. A trope is a framework of contextual interval relations. Therefore, the key information a trope contains is not the set of intervals it consists of (and by no means any set of pitch-classes), it is the relational structure of its intervals (Sedivy 2011, 83)."
I will now scurry back to my bunker and let other more musically erudite members make suggestions. :boggle:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Interesting. I have been calling a note like that d in Peter Street a fulcrum note, or the fulcrum of the phrase.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Wikipedia confirms that yes, in Western classical music parlance, "pedal point" is the correct term. Pipers should be interested to know that its original usage, of describing a sustained bass note on the organ, makes it a synonym for "drone."

Props to Bob & Tom: I think "trope" and especially "fulcrum" are also cool terms. :-)

Cheers,
Mick
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mke_mick wrote:Wikipedia confirms that yes, in Western classical music parlance, "pedal point" is the correct term.
Well, lest you all think I'm a dictionary-kissing prig, in private I actually call it "some bouncy stuff".
mke_mick wrote:Props to Bob & Tom: I think "trope" and especially "fulcrum" are also cool terms. :-)
They are. And considering that ours is a proudly shaggy tradition peopled with rapscallions, there is ample room for that.

I want to coin cool terms too. :cry:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

I always called them anchor notes
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I learned "pedal" in music theory.

But if you talk with most theory wonks they seem to apply that mainly to a bass note, so it doesn't quite work.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

there is a term used in French piping, "picotage" that accurately describes the melodic action of returning to a tone repeatedly from either above or below that tone. Sometimes this action is termed "rappell" , curiously indicated in manuscript indicated by the letter 'r' on the line or space to rappell TO, between melodic tones. Eastern European pipe tech also involves much of this, closed fingerings above a often moveable lower open fingering... (Yuri? this is your dept) Arguably the dense lower-hand gracenotes of Highland piping (leumluath, taorluath, crunluath, barluath et al,) are a species of this melodic action also.
"Pedal point" (as I was taught) has polyphonic implications: that there is independent melodic and/or harmonic activity above that pedal tone.
"Tropes" as Im sure many here already know, are ad libitum melodic extensions by chanting monks over a proto-harmonic backdrop, which could be either drone, moveable drone, or other basic contrapuntal texture. Troping played an important part in the development of multivoiced polyphony. I could go on.....
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Or the cran, whose similarity of name to "crunluath" has always had me scratching my head...
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

CHasR wrote:"Pedal point" (as I was taught) has polyphonic implications: that there is independent melodic and/or harmonic activity above that pedal tone.
Yes, to me the essential difference between pedal point and drone is that pedal implies some kind of building/releasing of tension through its dissonance/consonance with a harmonic progression, whereas drone does not.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I call it "the repeated note in the spiky part."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

CHasR wrote:there is a term used in French piping, "picotage" that accurately describes the melodic action of returning to a tone repeatedly from either above or below that tone. Sometimes this action is termed "rappell" , curiously indicated in manuscript indicated by the letter 'r' on the line or space to rappell TO, between melodic tones. Eastern European pipe tech also involves much of this, closed fingerings above a often moveable lower open fingering... (Yuri? this is your dept) Arguably the dense lower-hand gracenotes of Highland piping (leumluath, taorluath, crunluath, barluath et al,) are a species of this melodic action also.
Rappell sounds like a perfect name for it!

In Highland Piping you see that kind of thing in a lot of modern reels and hornpipes in the top hand. Like in Itchy Fingers. But in piobaireachd a lot of the formalized doublings are exactly this, just played slower in the modern tradition. But any suibhal doubling is a series of melody notes alternated with low-a for the entire part. I suppose you could also think of the low-a that the taorluath, etc. are played TO as rappelling to a -- especially in the doublings.
McElmurry

Post by McElmurry »

highland-piper wrote:
Rappell sounds like a perfect name for it!

I'll be considering ways to include the term in session banter from now 'till Sunday.

Like wow your A part was totally repellent dude.