latest e-bay prices

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: latest e-bay prices

Post by MarkP »

Indeed, each to their own I suppose, Cillian's is the only whistle I ever play out (the Sindt I enjoy at home sometimes). If as much energy were spent on tunes as whistles I suspect there'd be sweeter music for fewer $$$ :wink:
Mark
megapop

Post by megapop »

MarkP wrote:If as much energy were spent on tunes as whistles I suspect there'd be sweeter music for fewer $$$ :wink:
:pint:
return null;
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Mr.Gumby wrote:An easier, freer player than the Sindt (though by a small margin) and with a sweetness the Sindt lacks.
My Improved is certainly a free-er blower, takes much more air than the Sindt, as to sweet, that is something i could never describe it as. It has quite a harsh upper register that my ears perceive as nasty.

I'm not against Feadogs, my Eb whistle is an MK1 Feadog head on a gen tube - now that is what i would call sweet. I've never found any other Feadog that sounds anything like as nice as the MK1 does, and i've had 4 MK1's and they've all been the same (i gave the others away as presents to people).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My Improved is certainly a free-er blower, takes much more air than the Sindt, as to sweet, that is something i could never describe it as. It has quite a harsh upper register that my ears perceive as nasty.
Well any of the ones I tried, blew easier than the Sindt and more sweetness. The Sindt has a more focused tone with a hard edge to it and needs a bit of extra push.

Here is an impression of the two, two distinct voices but no nastiness in either, both capable of doing the job well.
My brain hurts

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

"File removed" already? Shame, I always enjoy hearing a bit of your playing Mr. Gumby, almost as much as I enjoy your photos.

As for pricing, I never really get why people get irked about what an item sells for, it's not like we're talking about mandated health insurance :lol: Anything that's in scarce supply and has some demand for it will tend to sell for more than new. We all know this. Why should it bother anyone, except perhaps the maker if an item is going for 2, 3, or 10x new cost? If you want one and don't like the price, learn to make your own. Of course that WILL cost you many times the price of a used Copeland...... And if you don't want one, why are you griping about high prices? :poke:

The positive outcome of the high prices in this case, is that it appears to have stimulated Michael to make a whistle or two, one of which is now on eBay, direct from the maker.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Well, the secondary market can stop saying "no longer being made". :)
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Well any of the ones I tried, blew easier than the Sindt and more sweetness. The Sindt has a more focused tone with a hard edge to it and needs a bit of extra push.

Here is an impression of the two, two distinct voices but no nastiness in either, both capable of doing the job well.
Thank you ever so much for the music Peter. Beautiful playing.

I think maybe the problem is your use of the word sweet to describe the tone of the Improved. I would call the Sindt the sweetest whistle i've ever heard. I suppose a lot is in the semantics, what's sweet to one is not to another.

I've been having a good play with my cheapies and really focusing on what i'm doing since listening to your clip. I still find the Improved to be harder blowing (as in i have to blow more into it to get the back pressure up, if i don't blow more into it and get the back pressure up then it doesn't work nice at all) than the Sindt, the Sindt i can just relax, chill out, and play and it just does what i want it to without any effort at all on my breath. The Improved takes a bit more push and some breath control that the Sindt just doesn't seem to need at all.

But the upside of all this is that i'm making the Improved sound pretty nice now, and the other cheapies at least some way to being reasonable, which i wasn't doing before - so thank you for that! Still love the Sindt though - although i do think playing it all the time has made me rather lazy when it comes to breath control which is reflected when i pick up the cheapies. :D
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Loren wrote:The positive outcome of the high prices in this case, is that it appears to have stimulated Michael to make a whistle or two, one of which is now on eBay, direct from the maker.
Already up to $515. That's a pretty good hourly rate for a whistle maker. :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

free-feet wrote:
Loren wrote:The positive outcome of the high prices in this case, is that it appears to have stimulated Michael to make a whistle or two, one of which is now on eBay, direct from the maker.
Already up to $515. That's a pretty good hourly rate for a whistle maker. :D
You'd think it less so, if you knew what takes to make a Copeland whistle.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Loren wrote:"File removed" already? Shame, I always enjoy hearing a bit of your playing Mr. Gumby, almost as much as I enjoy your photos.

As for pricing, I never really get why people get irked about what an item sells for, it's not like we're talking about mandated health insurance :lol: Anything that's in scarce supply and has some demand for it will tend to sell for more than new. We all know this. Why should it bother anyone, except perhaps the maker if an item is going for 2, 3, or 10x new cost? If you want one and don't like the price, learn to make your own. Of course that WILL cost you many times the price of a used Copeland...... And if you don't want one, why are you griping about high prices? :poke:

The positive outcome of the high prices in this case, is that it appears to have stimulated Michael to make a whistle or two, one of which is now on eBay, direct from the maker.
Simply expressing my opinion!...Wouldn't call it griping.... but I'm sure some clever soul will probably post the definition of griping to prove me wrong....you're right though, I don't want one....had one didn't like it ...Again, my opinion!