Take me tender...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Take me tender...

Post by an seanduine »

Yes terrific album. Love it when portions of 'Kitty's Gone A'milking' and 'When the Cock Crows, it is Day' go steaming by. The Colgan set is in fine voice.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Beautiful record. Looking forward to the next one, in, hmm, 2031...had heard a few of these tunes on the odd tape, the earliest from, hmm, 2000.

Those are great little, hmm, bass regulator "fillips"in Máire Bheag Ní Ghibhearlan. Hmm, my computer says that's a real word, too. Lady Ayre's is in O'Neill's, the Miller's Maid I think it's called, from Delaney, 1st part is the Flags of Dublin.

"Digit Medley" to go with your "Piper's Finger" tune: one of the Boys of the Lough wrote a tune, The Piper's Broken Finger...Recently I've come across a couple of more tunes about our profession in James Morrison's manuscripts, the Drunken Piper (=Maids of Mountkisco) and the Tipsy Piper (=Richard Brennan's), to go along with the Piper's Despair and the Quarrelsome Piper. Hmm, pattern is emerging here. :lol:

I like Connelly's Stack of Barley, there's a bit of a tune there, it's not a cryptic melody. The usual tune of that name will never be the same for me after finding it on YouTube performed by, hmm, Lawrence Welk. Cue that up at your own peril.

JR wrote:I have to say my favourite part so far is the clacking of the back C key during the Flogging Reel. Beautifully idiosyncratic.
You hear that on the odd Leo R or Willie C air, too. You could make a compilation of stuff like that, or the bellows valve clack on the first Chieftains. Be fun to make a record and take every bit of cork off the keys, extra noisy flap valve, get an extra creaky chair...
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

Mine arrived last week, first CD I've bought for ages. I really like it, it's a lovely progression from the one before. I like the feeling of immersion I get from it, as though Jimmy can now begin to ascend back up out of a long dive into another time and place. Glad he's done it, so I don't have to. Cheers. I wager* Ronan had to call him "Paddy" or "Mr. Coneely" throughout . . .

*not really
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
mukade

Post by mukade »

I don't have a CD player, so I was pleased to see the digital version.

I bought it last night and was listening into the wee hours.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've yielded to peer group pressure and ordered the CD.

By the way, it's a great idea, to study a piper and then record an album of their music. It's a bit more involved than just picking your favourite 10 jigs and reels and booking the recording studio. Bravo!!
PJ
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

This is now up on iTunes. I was pleased to discover today.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Got my copy last Friday. It's an excellent CD. JOBM's piping is sublime and the Colgan set sounds wonderful.
PJ
billh

Post by billh »

PJ wrote: By the way, it's a great idea, to study a piper and then record an album of their music. It's a bit more involved than just picking your favourite 10 jigs and reels and booking the recording studio. Bravo!!
Also. if you do it right I hear you get a certificate! ;-)

Great album, and beautifully recorded.
JR

Post by JR »

Fans of the record would enjoy this article from the Sean Reid Society Vol. 1, if you've not read it yet.

http://www.seanreidsociety.org/SRSJ1/Br ... nneely.PDF
Calum

Post by Calum »

Mr.Gumby wrote:According to Tom Pat Mitchelol came in one day and recorded 'Blue Suede Shoes' on a blank cylinder, in the style of Mici Cumba. At the time Tom said 'we have yet to hear back on that one'.
Rarely have I seen such an accidentally appropriate typo :D