pvc vs delrin vs ebonite

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

pvc vs delrin vs ebonite

Post by fluti31415 »

Hi, everyone --

I have been inactive for a long time, but lurking. After searching, I have not been able to find an answer to this question:

Years ago, I had an M&E polymer flute. I don't know if it was delrin or PVC, or something else, but it was so heavy that I couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes before my shoulder and wrist ached.

Now I see that he makes an ebonite flute, but I'm not quite sure what ebonite is. Does anyone have experience with playing one of these flutes who can tell me what the weight is like? How does it compare to blackwood -- to rosewood -- to any other material?

How do they sound -- are they very bright?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Best wishes,
Shannon
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: pvc vs delrin vs ebonite

Post by Jayhawk »

Shannon,

I've owned flutes made of all three materials (Delrin Seery, ebonite and PVC M&Es). The delrin flute was the lightest, but it was also the thinnest walled, had a lighter slide material, and it was the only flute of the three that was keyless.

I suspect if a PVC or ebonite flute was thin walled it would be about the same weight as the delrin, but none of the fake materials is nearly as light as a wooden flute.

If weight is seriously an issue and you want a non-wooden Irish style flute, a Copley in delrin without tuning slide or a delrin Forbes or the slideless Gary Somers pratten will be the lightest flutes you can find.

Eric
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Shannon,

My M&E Ebonite flute weighs in at 15.7 ounces-not a lightweight, for sure. Any flute with a fully lined head (all M&E's), will be heavier than flutes with unlined or partially lined heads. I do find the M&E Ebonite to be very well balanced, though, so that may be a consideration to you as well, depending on the flute. I don't find it heavy, but I don't play for long periods of time either.

Also, any flutes with traditional tuning slides will also weigh more, simply because there is more metal, so Eric's advice about flutes without tuning slides is apt, as well as seeking out thinner walled Delrin flutes such as the Forbes-it's very light. It is thinner walled, and does not use a traditional tuning slide, but it works as well as most of them. Don't know how light the Somers Delrins are, but they have more tradtional tuning slides, I believe.

But if you really want light, then I'd suggest a Boxwood Folk Flute by Casey Burns-it's a treat to hold and play for the body and hands. Nice tone for the ears too, and about the same price range (or less!), and you get real wood. As long as you are reasonably aware of how to care for it, it's a great choice, and should serve you well.

There are other nice, fairly light wooden flutes too, of course, depending on how much you are able to spend. I think there was a weigh-in thread around here somewhere too, that might give you an idea of some others that might suit.
~~~~
Barry
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I recall a Seery Delrin keyless was about 13 ounces, about the same as a Hammy Hamilton 6-keyed African Blackwood flute.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Wood will always be markedly lighter. I'd agree with the advice of a slideless Copley or Somers if you want less weight in a poly flute.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
megapop

Post by megapop »

Doc Jones wrote:I'd agree with the advice of a slideless Copley or Somers if you want less weight in a poly flute.
Or maybe da Shannon then...?

PS: And how about some press-ups? :)
Last edited by megapop on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Here's a video with those materials played on the same model flute by the same player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7HgKm1HzKI

Cheers.
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluti31415 »

Thank you all! I am looking for keys, so I think I am going to wait and go with wood. I was fine with an 8 key blackwood flute some years ago, and sold it (why, oh why??) so I will start shopping around.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

fluti31415 wrote:Thank you all! I am looking for keys, so I think I am going to wait and go with wood. I was fine with an 8 key blackwood flute some years ago, and sold it (why, oh why??) so I will start shopping around.
You could always get a keyed delrin flute from Dave Copley, I know he really enjoys turning delrin keyed flutes! :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Jayhawk wrote:none of the fake materials
Fake?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Fake?
I wonder what fake Delrin is like? :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jon C. wrote:I wonder what fake Delrin is like? :D
Naugahyde??

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Fake?
It was meant kind of tongue in cheek, but the internet doesn't always capture that well.

I am one if C&Fs most avid promoters of fake flutes... :-)
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

greenspiderweb wrote:
... Don't know how light the Somers Delrins are, but they have more tradtional tuning slides, I believe...

I also make a 3-piece Pratten model flute as well as the 5-piece model with metal slide. The 3-piece model has the same construction as the 3-piece delrin models of other makers, with a long thin-walled tenon at the top of the upper joint where it enters the head, so that joint can also act as a tuning slide. This design is sometimes referred to as 'slideless', as Doc does above but that specifically refers to the absence of a metal slide and as we know, a long thin-walled top tenon can also approximate to a tuning slide.

The embouchure cut is the same on both models and the 3-piece design does make for a lighter, lower cost construction. For a weight comparison, my 5-piece Pratten model weighs around 330g, while the 3-piece is around 285g but of course as far as the player is usually concerned, a good balance between head and body is more important than overall weight.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com