Thoughts on Bb flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Thoughts on Bb flutes?

Post by NicoMoreno »

I have what I'm pretty sure is the first modern 8-keyed B flute, from John Gallagher. It's lovely, and although it has taken quite a while to get used to, I don't find it a ton more difficult than the D flute (well, Gm tunes are a little harder on my hands).

One thing you might think about is if there are flat pipers around with B sets. They're rarely Bb, so if you want to play with them, B is a better choice.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I may have let this one sit a little too long. Oops!

So for those of you with Lehart Bb flutes, how's the tuning? My C flute, while lovely and I love it, has a couple of tuning issues. Is/was your Lehart Bb in tune with itself?

Also, for those of you with a Casey Burns Bb, same question.
~Tiff
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Yes I do make Bb flutes in boxwood. Thought everyone should know. And the boxwood I will be using in the future is ore or less knot-free and kind of perfect.

Blackwood too. But not Mopane at this time as I don;t have any ready.

Casey
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Casey Burns wrote:Yes I do make Bb flutes in boxwood. Thought everyone should know. And the boxwood I will be using in the future is ore or less knot-free and kind of perfect.

Blackwood too. But not Mopane at this time as I don;t have any ready.

Casey
Great to hear you have that option again, Casey!

And Tiff, the tuning on my Burns was right on-no issues that I came across when I had it. Just a sweet sounding and great playing flute, and oh so light to hold-no fatigue from playing for a while.
~~~~
Barry
paddler
Tell us something.: I'm interested in traditional music from western Europe, especially Irish Traditional Music. I play and make simple system flutes, whistles and Uilleann pipes, and occasionally dabble with other instruments, such as harp, banjo, bouzouki, mandolin, concertina, accordion etc. I'd like to become a better musician.

Post by paddler »

In answer to your question about tuning, it seems pretty good on my Lehart Bb. The C# and D are a little flat (maybe 10 cents or so) compared to the other notes, but thats pretty normal for a lot of flutes. The tuning of the C# in particular has to be balanced against the tuning of C nat . It plays at A=440 with about 4mm of slide open for me.

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Like Nico, I was an early Gallagher adopter. In fact, I have what's probably his first real keyless that was released into the wild. It's a lovely light flute, the tuning is great, and because John drills the toneholes at a bit of an angle, it's not a bad finger stretch. I do find, however, that I'm sometimes inclined to rest it on my shoulder after about 20 minutes b/c the distance from blowhole to left hand is longer. This might not happen if I played it more often, but there you are. I'm a weakling!

I'll also second Nico on the "B vs. Bb" thought ... if you're around a passel of flat pipers (which you may be in Salt Lake? :-) Lucky you!), it might be worth considering a B flute instead ...
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Cathy's Bb is why I talked John into making a B.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks for the info, Cathy and Nico. I'd love to have both a Bb and B flute. Wouldn't we all?! I do live near a passel of pipers here in SLC. I think two of them have B and C chanters. We haven't done much with the flat sets but I just tuned down my fiddle and played along with the B chanters. Mmmm.......B chanters........
~Tiff
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Have a listen to Sylvain Barou playing a Lehart Bb, if you haven't already.

http://www.box.com/s/4j9mmarce0rqhtfucaus
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Lovely. Thanks, Gordon!
~Tiff
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Barry brought to my attention that I never posted about receiving my Bb flute. I got it! I ended up ordering a Gilles Lehart Bb flute November 1st and got it November 27th. Now that's service! And it's lovely! Plays easily, tolerable reach, is very much in tune with itself and looks great. It has a nice, reedy tone to it and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the input, everyone!
~Tiff
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

:thumbsup: