Thoughts on Bb flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Thoughts on Bb flutes?

Post by matahari_1946 »

I've been thinking about Bb flutes lately. I'm thinking about ordering one but I'm interested in what other players think about the variety of Bb flutes out there. I'm wanting a wooden flute, nothing plastic. Been thinking about Gilles Lehart (already have 3 of his flutes in other keys) and Casey Burns. What have you tried and what do you think?
~Tiff
paddler

Re: Thoughts on Bb flutes?

Post by paddler »

I have a Lehart keyless low Bb flute in African Blackwood. I love it! Its a really nice sounding flute and a real pleasure to play. I bought it used from Steffen Gabriel. At the time he suggested that it had a fairly long stretch compared to some of the other low Bb flutes out there, but I find it quite easy to play. Its definitely a big, heavy flute, but is has a gorgeous sound. Its great for playing slow airs and pretending you are Jean-Michel Veillon! :D

-- Jon
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

I have the same feelings (including for pretending being JMV :D ) with my six keyed Bb from Lehart, it sounds great. :thumbsup:
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I have only had one Low Bb flute, and I loved it dearly, though I had to raise money at the time, so I had to sell it a while back, and I still rue the day I did so. It was a Burns Bb in Boxwood, keyless, all wood (no rings or slide) and it was just a great flute, and amazing to play-very light on the hands, easy stretch, great soulful tone, and very, very easy 2nd octave-and sweet!!! If given the chance, I would buy it back in a heartbeat, or would buy another like it....and sell my dog to get it! Oh, that's right, don't have a dog...oh well, I might think of something to sell to manage it! :wink:

Unfortunately, I don't think Casey is making Low Bb's in Boxwood anymore, but I would imagine if you don't have any hand/wrist problems, the Blackwood or Mopane would be great too, even though they weigh a bit more-but the playability and tone should be excellent as well. Don't know what Casey's wait time would be either-but certainly I can recommend one, even if it takes some time to wait for it.

Oh, those low tones-seem to be the key to my being! Maybe I just vibrate in concert with the universe, and it's Bb signature, I don't know-or it could be because my musical evolution started with the Susaphone (double bass Bb!) so long ago. No matter, the low Bb flute certainly soothes the soul to hear and play!

Hope you find one for you!
~~~~
Barry
homain

Post by homain »

I've got a Casey Burns Bb in boxwood which is fantastic. Great flute, great guy to work with. Here's a video of it making noises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-9FzBIkKNI
-conor o'bryan
http://conorobryan.com
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks for the input, everyone!

So Jon and Bran, I am really interested in a Lehart Bb because I love his flutes. I have one of his C flutes and I have no problem with playing it comfortably. I'm wondering, however, if the distance from the embouchure hole to the tone holes will be a problem for me. I am very short which means I don't have long arms so am wondering if I'm going to have neck problems from playing Lehart's Bb. Any problems with that? I play piper's grip and do so comfortably on the C flute so I don't imagine that being a problem with a Bb.

Barry and Conor, thanks for the info on Burns' Bb! I looked at his website, haven't contacted him yet, but I saw that he does the offset holes on his low flutes. Was that how your flutes were set up? I'm not a fan of offset holes so that definitely wouldn't be a selling point or me. And I'm also wondering if the holes were in line if I'd have a hard time reaching them.

So many great Bb flutes, not enough money for them all! :(
~Tiff
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

And Conor, I'll watch the video when I'm not at work. :D
~Tiff
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

matahari_1946 wrote:I'm wondering, however, if the distance from the embouchure hole to the tone holes will be a problem for me. I am very short which means I don't have long arms so am wondering if I'm going to have neck problems from playing Lehart's Bb. Any problems with that? I play piper's grip and do so comfortably on the C flute so I don't imagine that being a problem with a Bb.
I don't have problems with holding the flute but I don't have short arms. I think that there are maybe 30cm or a bit less from the embouchure to the first tone hole.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I have played both and own a Burns in boxwood. The Burns is easier to play smaller holed but less full toned. Fit and finish on my Burns was rough ( non concentric boring, small knots that leaked that I had to fill myself, ) that said I really like the Burns. I love the small flexible embouchure cut. (Mine has no cutaway) also the offset holes are not in anyway distracting or take any getting used to. No issues switching back to a flute with online holes.

I had some trouble with the stretch on the Lehart but playing flat fingered on the top hand would reduce any problems. The Lehart had this amazing fat sound. I think I preferred the Lehart but not having spent as much time getting to know it hard to say.

My Burns has B, C, and A bodies as well which was the main selling point for me and despite a few compromises with that type of setup, the whole thing works well.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks, dunnp, that is a helpful comparison!
~Tiff
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

Tiff, i have an "All wood" Rosewood Olwell which i love. it's very light and has the best tone. my friend had one of Doug's flutes, i know you said "no plastic", but it had a great tone and very easy to play (not to mention the price).
it does hurt my left wrist if i play the Bb for longer then 20 minutes.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Bb flutes are one of life's guilty little pleasures for me. I used to own a keyless Grinter Bb and now play an Olwell, and although the Olwell would always be my first choice, I would definitely second the recommendation for Gilles Lehart's Bb. I played one that knocked my socks off in Ireland last summer. Another option might be Carl Bell. I'm friends with a member here who kindly sent me his Bell Bb a few years ago before I got my Olwell, and it was a fine choice as well, and probably the least expensive Bb option I've run across.

Here's a little jig on mine: https://app.box.com/s/8an3vqdtj51vyv74nwj6
paddler

Post by paddler »

Tiff,

If you want to get a better idea of whether a Lehart Bb would be comfortable enough for you, you could mark out the hole positions on a piece of PVC pipe or a broom handle, and try it out. Here are the approximate distances (in mm) from the center of the embouchure to the center of each tone hole on my low Bb Lehart:

These were taken with the tuning slide closed. I usually have it open a few mm, but not a whole lot. I think I'm a relatively flat blower, but not by a lot, compared to most.

The other dimension that might determine comfort is the external diameter where the flute rests in the top hand (although I did note that you play with a piper's grip, so I'm not sure how relevant this is to you). Anyhow, the external diameter just above the top tone hole is about 29mm. This is a pretty big, fat flute, and heavy too.

For me, the limiting factor with respect to comfort is my left wrist. I think the strain comes from a combination of reaching a long way across my body to get to the left hand tone holes, combined with the fat diameter of the flute where it rests in my hand. Together, these mean that its a bit of a stretch for L3, and my left wrist angle is not ideal. This may be the same issue eilam is dealing with on his Olwell, and may be inherent to these larger flutes. I don't mind suffering some pain for a while because it sounds soooo nice, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to put in many long hours playing this flute.

Jon
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks for the input, everyone! While I would love to own a Bb Olwell, I'm not fond of his waiting list and price range. :D That's something that makes Lehart's flutes so attractive to me: good quality, good price, ridiculously short waiting list. But Gordon, the clip you posted is lovely! Nice, smooth, buttery tone. Sounds great! And the tuning sounds spot on. I'd love to play a nice Bb like that.

Thanks for the measurements, Jon, that is extremely helpful! I'm definitely going to try those out and see how it feels. My C flute is a 6-key black wood and that thing is heavy but the sound is worth it. I'm planning on going keyless with a Bb, hopefully it won't be too much heavier than the keyed C. Just tonight I tried one of Lehart's 6-key D flutes in mopane that a friend just bought from someone here and I couldn't believe how much lighter it was compared to my 6-key black wood Lehart D. I wonder if he can do a Bb flute in mopane......
~Tiff
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I can play my Burns A body without any strain for hours on end. I have very small hands. I do think a lot of hype is often made over flutes for small hands. I can manage nearly any stretch. It comes down adapting ones grip and practice. I could learn to manage the Lehart it just isn't as instantly accessible as the Burns.

If you look on Jil's webpage it shows a light coloured flute I am assuming is boxwood. Might be worth asking him about a Bb in boxwood.
http://lehart.free.fr\