Sindt prices....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Sindt prices....

Post by ytliek »

Mr.Nate wrote:I think people should look elsewhere to greener pastures. Starting with..

The highly underrated Hoover white cap (30$)

Gary Humphrey narrow bore stealth or Journeyman III whistles (120, 130$)

And for my all time favorite...The Reyburn narrow bore (200$) It has more back pressure than a Sindt but just a lot better in volume, tone and intonation. No waiting list and Reynoldo is a pleasure to work with!

I am absolutely sick of hearing about Sindts :o
Well whistle tours and competent reviews about other whistlemakers certainly could shift the attention away from the thoroughly covered whistles.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Just saw a revelatory video about kids in Paraguay playing instruments made from recycled junk, cellos, violins, etc. Now that's amazing and refreshing. Well, I guess we're already there what with plumbing tubes and the like for whistle bodies.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Nate wrote:And for my all time favorite...The Reyburn narrow bore (200$) It has more back pressure than a Sindt but just a lot better in volume, tone and intonation. No waiting list and Reynoldo is a pleasure to work with!
With insured postage, duty, import VAT and handling charges, that would come to about $350 if you wanted to import it to the UK. Just sayin' ...
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

benhall.1 wrote:
Mr.Nate wrote:And for my all time favorite...The Reyburn narrow bore (200$) It has more back pressure than a Sindt but just a lot better in volume, tone and intonation. No waiting list and Reynoldo is a pleasure to work with!
With insured postage, duty, import VAT and handling charges, that would come to about $350 if you wanted to import it to the UK. Just sayin' ...
Don't you have a certain limit where everything below that is duty and VAT free? All whistles i have imported have just sailed past customs anyway (might be some luck involved as well)
There are morally disputable ways of importing too i have used once or twice, but that's too off topic :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The limit is well below the price of most designer whistles, in Ireland anyway ( I think anything over €20 is liable for taxes and the shipping cost is taken into that amount. I once bought a pair of red Converse all stars from China for €20 through ebay and had to send in all paypal proof of payment, invoice etc. Including postage I paid €23 but they let it through anyway.)

That said, I have had no trouble getting whistles sent over without any customs interference, as long as the seller posts them with regular (air) mail and declares 'tin whistle' things are OK. The real problem is with makers who insist shipping insured and/or with a carrier like Fedex who insist on slapping on a standard customs clearing charge. A Gary Humphrey whistle I bought, for example, had more than half it's price added on by the time it arrived and that made the cost prohibitive for considering another one, unfortunately.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

In the UK they add on 20% plus a handling charge of £9.00, so a £40 whistle with £10 shipping added ends up costing £69, over 70% added to the cost of the whistle!!!
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

That's interesting.. up to €148 is customs free here, VAT on anything regardless of value (that was news to me, never had to pay VAT, only customs fee in a few cases). Most whistles can be sent as letters though, it seems and apparently they have focus on packages, not letters.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

[/benhall.1]With insured postage, duty, import VAT and handling charges, that would come to about $350 if you wanted to import it to the UK. Just sayin' ...[/benhall.1]

I see your point! You can get a lot more for your money if you just buy local like maybe a whistle from Hans Bracker, Fred Rose, Bleazy, Ormiston or others :D
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And the most recent eBay Sindt D went for $326 US.... There's obviously a market out there for these whistles.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

At $326.00 the used Sindt appears to be losing value compared to the commanding $345.00 used price 9-28-2013. :) Apparently used is pricier than new. :D

And at $326.00 the Sindt is only half the value of a used Copeland ($620.00). Only half! Is it only half as good?

Value... let's talk about it.
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

ytliek wrote:And at $326.00 the Sindt is only half the value of a used Copeland ($620.00). Only half! Is it only half as good?

Value... let's talk about it.
If someone would like to lend me a Copeland then i'd be happy to answer.

I truly can't imagine playing a whistle that's better than my Sindt. Would love to experience it though.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not to go all Oscar Wildish on you but aren't you confusing price and value there?
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Not to go all Oscar Wildish on you but aren't you confusing price and value there?
Can't imagine you being Oscar Wildish, Peter. Still, I suppose it would account for how young you look whenever I've seen you in videos etc. :twisted:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hm, maybe I should watch videos in stead of looking in the mirror Image
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I do realize that price and value are not one and the same thing.

Neither are the new and used terms the same thing, and yet, the used is pricier than new.