Syn Whistles invite C&F....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I want one!!!!
Dear Mr. Syn, I'll order one, they look great. Send me all of them...bwahahahahhaha....
No really, I'd like to order one.
Cheers, Amar.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Another lamb to the slaughter?

Post by Walden »

serpent wrote:... but at least, for the nonce you don't have a certain pair of heavy-duty skeptics pounding you before you even so much as get a picture up or a sound file, and you don't live in Missouri. :D
Yeah! It felt a little like deja vu, to me.
Reasonable person
Walden
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I emailed him and I pmed him and no answer. I just hate that. It takes more now to bring about a case of WHoa (I`m shaking so bad I can`t even ilistrate my affliction correctly) but to be nipped in the bud like that is beyound cruel. I`m going over to the flute side. :boggle:

Tom
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

Hello again folks, the last 24 hours since posting my invitation have been fairly busy ones and I regret that I have not been able to answer many of the messages that have been sent to me yet, but yes, I do exist, and yes, I will reply.
May I say at this point that postage from Australia is about US$5, or close enough, and generally takes somewhere between one week if you are lucky, and two weeks if you are not. If anyone wants to order a whistle, they are certainly available, and if you email me, I can give you the necessary transaction details.
As far as my identity goes, Syn Whistles is an enterprise that I wish to stand (or fail) on its own and be quite separate from anything else that I do, so I would really be happy to be known quite simply as syn, (the original and best perhaps). I certainly do not wish this enterprise to ride on anybody else coattails so I will just say that my first name is not Michael, and that all other speculation will be neither comfirmed or denied.
My thanks also those who have welcomed me to the board, good to be here! Must go now and answer some emails, cheerio, syn.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Do Australians say "cheerio" ? hummmm..... :-?
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Well, this identity is a real <b>no brainer</b>.
  • Clue 1:
    Sometime in the not too distant past, a new whistlemaker appeared on the board and sold OODLES of whistles on looks alone...our Mr. Syn is using the same tactic.
  • Clue 2:
    This same whistlemaker reappeared recently promising to start making whistles again...hmmmm.
  • Clue 3:
    The mysterious Mr. Syn's first name is not Michael, but he didn't say it wasn't John.
  • Clue 4:
    In the outback people use outhouses...just like in the Ozarks...and they both start with the letter "O".
  • Clue 5:
    The postage is only $5...the same currency used in Missouri.
There! You have the indisputable clues before you! Now tell me who Mr. Syn is!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA <b>BWA-HA-HA-HA HA HA</b>
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

I just received an email from Mr. Syn. While details are still tentative, you may see Syn whistles popping up on GC in a couple months, once all the inital details of a new line launch are worked out. :D :D

I can't wait to get one either, if they sound as good as they look, then we are in for a real treat!!

Aodhan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

John Allison wrote:Well, this identity is a real <b>no brainer</b>.
  • Clue 1:
    Sometime in the not too distant past, a new whistlemaker appeared on the board and sold OODLES of whistles on looks alone...our Mr. Syn is using the same tactic.
  • Clue 2:
    This same whistlemaker reappeared recently promising to start making whistles again...hmmmm.
  • Clue 3:
    The mysterious Mr. Syn's first name is not Michael, but he didn't say it wasn't John.
  • Clue 4:
    In the outback people use outhouses...just like in the Ozarks...and they both start with the letter "O".
  • Clue 5:
So, by these clues, perhaps it is the Waldentone from Waldco.
Reasonable person
Walden
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

John Allison wrote:Well, this identity is a real <b>no brainer</b>.
  • Clue 1:
  • Clue 2:
  • Clue 3:
  • Clue 4:
  • Clue 5:
There! You have the indisputable clues before you! Now tell me who Mr. Syn is!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA <b>BWA-HA-HA-HA HA HA</b>
Well, it isn't the John you are thinking of. (Yes, I've figured it out.) And, his name isn't John, or Michael. I'll respect his wish for them to stand on their merits, but you are waaaaayyyy off.... :D :D :D

Aodhan
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Well, I gotta say that this "Mr. Syn" is getting a much better initial reception than the last new maker who ventured in here. Of course, I could also say that we were probably right to be suspicious of someone who talks that much and comes from the same state as a great musician like John Ashcroft. (Just kidding, Bill).

I'm still a *little* chary, only because the announcement seems to have preceded the availability of the product and it occurred on a day where several known spurious threads were not only seen but rather expected.

I'll wait for a review before indulging my disorder, but I gott add that, if real, they're awful nice looking and the price seems far more than reasonable.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I agree that the look and price seem great, and if Terry wants to sell whistles and flutes, I can't wait to get one myself ;)

(Please note that his e-mail is an Australian e-mail, so unless he's gone through the trouble of having an Australian e-mail forwarded to a different address, then it's likely that he really is from Australia.)

Erik
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Mr Syn has now replied to my email and I can confirm, beyond any shadow of doubt that Syn whistles exist. As I hinted very strongly yesterday, the prototype on my desk is indeed an earlier incarnation of the whistles you see a couple of pages back. In keeping with his wishes, I shall say no more about his identity except that his name is neither Michael nor John.

I can say more about the whistles. What I said a page or two back obviously stands, at least as regards the prototype. The conjecture that they might be like Sindt's is not correct in any respect other than superficial appearance. The mouthpiece is neither weighty, like a Sindt nor is the sound cloudy. Those who think that Sindts sound pure might see a similarity, but I don't. Burke is the whistle that comes to mind as closest in sound but Syns are a bit less pure than that.

I'll email Mr. Syn again to find out about improvements over the prototype I play. I can say this: it's currently my favourite knock about whistle, that's why it's sitting on my desk. No, you won't be getting a Copeland, Overton or Abell_did you really expect that for the price—but you will be getting something much closer to a high end whistle than anything I have played that's even close in price. For your money, you'll get a wicked little whistle

Oh, to answer one last question, some Australians do say 'cheerio' and some will even say 'g'day' if you ask them nicely. I won't say either, however nicely you ask me, cobber. :P
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

This gives me hope for the Board...much-needed, because I was losing hope that it could be what it used to be. But some of the fun and humor and mystery seems to be back! :D

Well, I confess I am pretty ignorant of Australian makers--I don't know of any others besides Michael Grinter. But I do remember some other guy joining a few months ago who said he's been making whistles for a while...can't remember more than that, though. Here's the clues I could pick out:

a) the person has been making whistles for many years (did the original post say 15 years?)

b) the past whistles have been wooden

I guess I need to read the main C & F whistle info again, or search the archives, or something...I love a good mystery and it drives me crazy till it's solved! :D

Anyway, I'm happy to see some light-hearted fun and stuff back!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Well, I was quite wrong--mislead by the design and the faire city of Canberra.

After receiving Mr Syn's reply to my email, I know it's ok if I reveal his first name.

It's not John neither Michael.
It's Anon.
Mr Anon Syn, and I did order one of his whistles.

Mr codename W1K is not alone here to know of his former whistles; actually we all should since Mr Prez D. Wisely published a description in a mid-2002 newsletter.

To Grouchy John from Orang county :roll: : it seems the Australian address and ID of A. Syn, Esq. is quite reliable and verified.
He actually concluded his email to me by "kenavo", which you all know is a NA (native aborigen) greeting. :razz:

Post by Wombat »

Zubivka wrote:
Mr codename W1K is not alone here to know of his former whistles; actually we all should since Mr Prez D. Wisely published a description in a mid-2002 newsletter.