Rob Forbes Delrin Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rob Forbes Delrin Pratten

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi all,

Looking to pick up a delrin flute for my son. Anyone play one of Forbes flutes? Like to hear about your experience.
Thanks, Arbo
an seanduine

Re: Rob Forbes Delrin Pratten

Post by an seanduine »

This was almost too easy :D Arbo, I searched the keywords "Forbes flute" and filled in the author box "Denny".
'Nuff sed. :thumbsup:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Very nice flute, although i sold it for a Baubet Delrin which is brilliant, and i mean in comparison to whatever you like.
At €340 it's a steal!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

You'll pry mine out of my cold, dead hands. STILL my favorite flute to just pick up and play. Awesome tuning, awesome tone, great ergonomics and light as a feather ... and you can punch the bejeezus out of it or not, depending on what you want. Pretty much perfect.

If there's still a clip on Rob's site of Kevin Crawford playing Murphy's, that's my Forbes and it was recorded at Augusta the year you were there.

That said ... I really liked the Gary Somers I played a while ago, too. I'd say it's close to comparable and a little cheaper.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Hi Arbo
Yes Forbes Delrin are great flutes. Pratten based but voicing is flexible. I have been playing my keyless as my main flute but am in the process of swapping back to a Rudall based flute. Fully agree with Cathy's praise for Forbes.
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I had a Forbes and wish I still had it. It was easy to play, sounded great and the low D would rattle the windows. I switched over to a Rudall style flute and the differences were so great between the two that I just wanted to focus on playing the one flute. I miss being able to just leave it out and grab it any time I feel like playing. And it uses O-rings to seal the sections so no cork or thread to maintain.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Echo all of the above. I own one and wouldn't part with it.
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Ditto all of the above plus the body is quite thin and very comfortable to hold and the integral tuning slide is a nice feature also.
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Funny, I was thinking of selling a few flutes yesterday. There are some horrors in the box that I would not even try to move on. Guess most of us have a couple of those. But one I was thinking I could put on Ebay is my Forbes and maybe some of the above comments have whetted an appetite somewhere. My Forbes is about two years old and looks like new with no damage or anything. It has three metal rings, is tunable, and the one-piece "cork and head." The reason I would like to sell it is that I am just in the mood to reduce the number of flutes I have and between it and my Copley, I prefer the Copley because it is a bit easier to play. But the Forbes is a nice flute and is a bit edgier and sleeker. Anyway, I'll offer it for $275 plus free shipping in the continental U.S. for a week before deciding whether to put it on Ebay or back in my flute box. Outside the U.S., I'd have to find out what shipping would be. Paypal only. Will take first offer and won't play favorites. PM me if you are interested.
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

The Forbes I offered has been sold. Will be going to a great town that I lived in 40 years ago and still enjoy visiting. Thanks all.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

libraryman wrote:The Forbes I offered has been sold. Will be going to a great town that I lived in 40 years ago and still enjoy visiting. Thanks all.
Sorry I missed it. I had already put a deposit down on one of Rob's flutes.
Arbo
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Sorry, but the flute did go very very fast. If its any consolation, I got my Rob Forbes right when he guesstimated and I think you will like yours. I did say the Copley is a bit easier and is very full, but the Forbes can get reedier and is probably louder. Good choice.
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

I just posted one for sale yesterday...no cracks or dents - great deep Pratten sound on the lower hand.

Also posted in Exchange Forum.

All the best,

Michael
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx