Authorization For Plum Wood Day on August 27th

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Authorization For Plum Wood Day on August 27th

Post by ytliek »

Authorization is granted that August 27th be forever declared Plum Wood Day.

For all those individuals, seasoned whistlers and newbies alike, being affected by WHOAD and further confused deciding which material to choose for a whistle with aesthetic, health, and musical ability concerns be it known that WOOD is a good thing. The apple may not have fallen far from the tree, but, the plums have been plucked, pasturized, and postal delivered. If I can't play it well I'll just look at it!

David Boisvert - Greenwood Pipes - reedbiter on C&F sent me this recent plum harvest.

Got wood... I love fruit... it's healthier! :thumbsup: And WHOAD has been satisfied for today... Plum Wood Day. :) Time to party :party: and pint up :pint:
megapop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Authorization For Plum Wood Day on August 27th

Post by megapop »

ytliek wrote:Got wood... I love fruit... it's healthier! :thumbsup: And WHOAD has been satisfied for today... Plum Wood Day. :) Time to party :party: and pint up :pint:
Toast to that with a slivovitz! :)
return null;
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

megapop wrote:
ytliek wrote:Got wood... I love fruit... it's healthier! :thumbsup: And WHOAD has been satisfied for today... Plum Wood Day. :) Time to party :party: and pint up :pint:
Toast to that with a slivovitz! :)
Now that's what I'm talking about. Salute!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice whistle. The very first whistle I ever sold was plumwood.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek, not a word on how it plays or how it sounds? :D

Pretty nice whistle, huh?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

brewerpaul wrote:Nice whistle. The very first whistle I ever sold was plumwood.
Paul, your Marblewood whistle was the very first woody I purchased. If I remember correctly (actually I checked my old emails to verify) you discouraged me from purchasing any higher end whistle with my being a rank newbie. I'm glad I didn't take your advice (that particular time) :) as your whistle turned out to be a gem that's carried about regularly. Perfect shirt pocket fit! That's why I don't like T-shirts, no pocket and my belly hangs out. :lol: I do listen and follow the sages here while difficult to figure out who's who cybering about.
I don't have too many of the wood whistles because of all the fear from reading about care, maintenance, cracking, splitting, and so forth. I do have just a few different woods as of now and learning about the woods all along seeing how they hold up against a newbie-ish whistler's tough use.
Feadoggie wrote:ytliek, not a word on how it plays or how it sounds? :D

Pretty nice whistle, huh?

Feadoggie
More fear... from above... sages, the guy in the sky mentioned in a thread not too long ago about reviews, what they should include, by whom, and IIRC something to the effect there "needs to be a systematic review by competent people". Geez, I'm shaking and wobblin' all ready. So here's my newbie-ish thoughts concerning my Boisvert plumwood high D whistle. (This not a review :lol: ) In full disclosure, I did already have a used Boisvert whistle, but, when reedbiter recently posted his new available whistles I decided to leave the used club and join the original and new owners group.

The craftsmanship is exquisite. Exquisite period.
Plumwood with brass ferrules that are engraved, polymer or delrin? plug, tunable and fingering holes finely crafted for sure fire landing with full coverage. The six holes are crafted with a slight indent. I don't know the proper vocabulary word for it, but, carved out or recessed. Beautifully.

As for the sound, keeping in mind my newbie-ish-ness, the tone is pure but with two full octaves of clear and loud notes. The transition between octaves is going to take a little more practice for a clean transition to occur. Its me not the whistle. The upper register is a nicely screaming sweet clear sounding one. The windway on the Boisvert is larger than any of the other high whistles I own. So the whistle demands full breath and no fear of honking while playing. Just lean into it and let it go no fear. Not comparing windway sizewise to any low whistles here but its big. Easily, this whistle fits into any session large or small. If I don't learn to play it well... I'm just going to look at it as its a pretty nice whistle for sure. :)

I do not know how to record sound yet, excuses, excuses, (possibly a genetic ludite) but eventually I'll get something played/recorded. I'm a slow learner but its been fun. YMMV :)
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Hey Ytliek,
What's this"WHOAD" thing you keep making reference to? Fact or fiction? Regardless, that is one "plum" of a whistle. If she sounds as sweet as she looks, Dave created a true beauty for you. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Cayden wrote: What's this"WHOAD" thing you keep making reference to?
WHistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder

:lol: :D :) :o :boggle:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:More fear... from above... sages, the guy in the sky mentioned in a thread not too long ago about reviews, what they should include, by whom, and IIRC something to the effect there "needs to be a systematic review by competent people".
Ytliek, I only asked how it sounded and played! :) Not looking for a full on review man. A simple "plays nice , sounds good" would do.
ytliek wrote:In full disclosure, I did already have a used Boisvert whistle, but, when reedbiter recently posted his new available whistles I decided to leave the used club and join the original and new owners group.
Whoa! It wasn't Purpleheart by any chance, was it? I owned a Purpleheart Boisvert. I sold it to help fund a big, honking lathe to make more whistles. It may be the only whistle I ever sold over which I have had any regrets.

I do like the whistles David makes. I like how they feel in the hands. It is a very pleasant whistle IMO. It's nice to see another one in the hands of someone that appreciates his work. Have fun with both of them.

Cayden, have you ordered one yet? :devil:

Feadoggie
flootoot

Post by flootoot »

ytliek wrote:Authorization is granted that August 27th be forever declared Plum Wood Day.

For all those individuals, seasoned whistlers and newbies alike, being affected by WHOAD and further confused deciding which material to choose for a whistle with aesthetic, health, and musical ability concerns be it known that WOOD is a good thing. The apple may not have fallen far from the tree, but, the plums have been plucked, pasturized, and postal delivered. If I can't play it well I'll just look at it!

David Boisvert - Greenwood Pipes - reedbiter on C&F sent me this recent plum harvest.

Got wood... I love fruit... it's healthier! :thumbsup: And WHOAD has been satisfied for today... Plum Wood Day. :) Time to party :party: and pint up :pint:
That's a beautiful instrument!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Feadoggie wrote:Cayden, have you ordered one yet? :devil:
One ??? Did you suggest only one???

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

lordofthestrings wrote:
Cayden wrote: What's this"WHOAD" thing you keep making reference to?
WHistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder

:lol: :D :) :o :boggle:

Thanks for the edification, I was totally unfamiliar. :boggle:

Sheepishly yours,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Very beautiful instrument you have there! I want to get a wood one myself one day. Maybe one of the Native American varieties. What exactly is the difference between a NA 'flute' and a whistle, anyways?
Whistlin' since 2013
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

farmerjones wrote:What exactly is the difference between a NA 'flute' and a whistle, anyways?
Too much to go into in a short post. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_flute

Feadoggie
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

Huh, thanks! Seems like one of the big differences is the 5 note pentatonic scale. I've tried playing this on my low D to some success (D, F, G, A, C, D) but I think it'd be easier on a C keyed whistle. The construction is also very different.
Whistlin' since 2013