Nickle or Brass?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Nickle or Brass?

Post by jonharl »

Kind of like Pepsi or Coke I imagine. What do you prefer your Generations to be made from, nickle or brass. I know L.E. McCullough's old Generation was nickle. (At least that's what he plays on his video) Besides your own preference. do you know the preference of professsional whistles players if they play generations.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I definitely prefer brass.

The nickel feels slippery to me and I have to think about holding onto the whistle. It takes all twelve of my brain cells working at the same time just to play the thing, so that's a distraction I can do without.

I do think there's a little more of an edge to the sound of nickel (some say "brighter"), and I prefer the sound of brass, but neither is "better." It's really just a matter of taste. The difference may be subtle -- people often say there's no difference.

Best wishes,
Jerry
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I can't tell the difference in sound but I do hate the slipperiness of the nickel. Brass for me!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I prefer the Nickel. I have several Gens in Nickel and a Feadan in Nickel. I have a Feadog in Brass. I prefer any of the Nickel to the Feadog brass. I haven't been playing long but I can tell the difference in the sound. I don't feel the slipperyness. The brass is much lighter though.
Ron Kiley
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

There's definitely a difference to the sound. Take one head off and switch it from brass to nickel tubes. The nickel is a little "brighter" or sharper sounding. I prefer the brass sound. Seems a bit sweeter. And, yes, it's easier to hold onto.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I've always loved brass best; but, this new Copeland nickel D is like honey, really like honey...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

How'bout wood or aluminum? :)

Sort of analogous to what Tony said, it's hard to tell the difference because the heads vary quite a bit. I (meaning my toddler) broke the head of an Oak, and hated my Feadog, so I put the Oak shaft on it. It sounds a LOT better than the Feadog shaft -- clearer, fewer overtones, less breathy. It doesn't exactly jump out at you, but it's there if you look for it.

For naturally purer sounding whistles, I usually vote for brass.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I like brass Gens better than nickel. Nicer tone and less slippery (for me). I gave away my nickel. Now I have three brass, one of which is so outstanding in tone and playability that I'm almost afraid to take it out of the house. (I keep a Burke WBB in the car, not because I hold it in lower esteem than the Gen, but because it is sturdier and less likely to get damaged, and, unlike a good Gen, it can be replaced if it is lost or stolen.)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The nickel copeland D beats the brass, indeed.
Generations I prefer nickel, but it doesn't
matter terribly. Never had slipperyness,
but then I have sticky fingers. Best
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I like both nickel and brass. Just depends on my mood and/or what I want a particular tune to sound like. I agree that the brass is a softer, sweeter sound, the nickel is a purer sound to me. I also agree that the nickel feels slippery but have never had trouble holding on to one.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

You could have the Nickel whistles made with a wire brushed finish instead of polished. It would stay well in the hands and less discoloration than the brass.

BTW - Nickel-Silver is great sounding material for whistles, only problem is finding tubing in desirable sizes. Usually it has to be special ordered.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

It seems everyone has given me a good excuse to order a 6 key set of brass Gens. In order to compare them of course. Maybe I can order a low G at the same time. I am considering a Dixon or a Susato low G. What are the Pros and cons or alternatives?
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Paddy Moloney always liked brass. I guess I'm a little late though.
-Ross
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Brass, I like the pretty mellow color :)
I have a nickel but it just looks... bah, cant really tell the difference in sound (due to the fact that ones Bb and the others a D, makes it a bit harder)