Made a new whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
UncleChuck
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Made a new whistle.

Post by UncleChuck »

I am really happy with the new instrument. The old version required a lot of pressure to blow correctly. This one is as easy as breathing. It's sweet and clear with a hint of chiff. I will probably send a couple of them on tour pretty soon after I get some orders filled.

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Made a new whistle.

Post by plunk111 »

Why is the F# hole so huge? Never seen one that big, so I figure there must be a reason!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

plunk111 wrote:Why is the F# hole so huge? Never seen one that big, so I figure there must be a reason!
I like to have the holes spaced as evenly as I can. With the tubing inside diameter, that is where it fell. The tuning is good and the hole is not hard to cover for me. I like larger holes, but I can see where it may be a problem for some people .
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It looks nice!

I don't think the hole size on a soprano D whistle would be much trouble for anyone. Even the biggest holes on a high whistle are pretty easy for most people to cover without any trouble.

I'd be interested to hear the whistle. They look very nice but I'm curious about how they sound.
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Sirchronique wrote:I'd be interested to hear the whistle. They look very nice but I'm curious about how they sound.
My playing is soooooooo bad. :tomato:

Here is a video of me --trying-- to play South Wind. FWIW, I play better when I am not watching myself on my cell phone playing. Also the video and sound quality are pretty bad. It should give a rough idea of what it sounds like. (the squeeks are me, not the whistle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbGerIcbZY
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

UncleChuck wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:I'd be interested to hear the whistle. They look very nice but I'm curious about how they sound.

Here is a video of me --trying-- to play South Wind. FWIW, It should give a rough idea of what it sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbGerIcbZY
The whistle seems to have very good response. And you have a nice looking hat.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Tommy wrote:The whistle seems to have very good response. And you have a nice looking hat.
Well thank you very much! :lol:

FWIW, I do like these whistles very much.
HunterGatherer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by HunterGatherer »

Looks nice and sounds nice! Good job! :thumbsup:

HG
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

HunterGatherer wrote:Looks nice and sounds nice! Good job! :thumbsup:
Thanks!
woodbala

Post by woodbala »

I like the design! :)
Woodpecker's Balafons:

http://woodbala.com
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Congratulations, it seems a good whistle.
Sorry for my bad english...
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Thanks guys!
netstar

Post by netstar »

ooo they look really nice what a good job, I really like the b flat whistle as I am a fan of the treble recorder and love the mellow sound
rexykik

Post by rexykik »

I had the great fortune of receiving one of Chuck's new whistles in D about a week ago and thought I might share a few photos.

It's really a lovely instrument; quite a steal for the price. I only have a Walton's Mellow D, Sweetone, and Oak to compare it to, but it's certainly nicer than any of them in every regard.

I wasn't sure what to think of the delrin plug mouthpiece when I ordered it, but I can easily say now that it is incredibly comfortable and feels better than the fipples on the forementioned cheapies. The large F hole is no problem.

Last edited by rexykik on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Thanks for the kind words.