Ebay Fentum flute..

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: Ebay Fentum flute..

Post by jim stone »

Yes, yes, I think I understand now.
It's like that famous country song: 'I Can't Leave Her Behind Alone.'
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Hmm.... I'm apparently a whole lot more country that I realized. I whole lot. :D

So, it's arrived!

It is indeed marked on all expected parts Fentum London

with the LH joint only marked:

Fentum
29 Queens Row
Walworth
London

So that puts it 1844-45.

Remarkably good condition actually save for one pad... and its missing the crown and most likely the screw. There is some very odd felt stuffed into the end that I've yet an attempt to yank it out. Nasty but typical HJ crack but it's away from the emb. Speaking of which the emb is sharp and got that RR shape... or perhaps the Wylde shape :D

It's been played but it was loved.

Everything appears to be original including the pads. Which seal well after a little rehydrating. Springs are strong too.

I was surprised to find the slide sheath, keys, rings and pins are silver also, it's cocus.

Lowish cup keys and the key seats are the ringed/rimmed. Recessed fit for the "short F" touch.

I'm still at work so I haven't pulled the pins and checked on the key stamps.

I cleaned it up some and it had a lot of tobacco residue or some kind of soot.

Some micro cracks no doubt but I got it sealed up pretty good so it plays quite solid. I suspect it will be even better once the cracks are sussed out.

It's plays great. Really great. :party:

And now.

The answer we've all been waiting for.

Drum roll please......

D

It's a D. Jon wins. Not sure what though but I'm sure we have some nice parting gifts.

Plays just like a Rudall from 1845 with all the expected quirks.

I'm keeping it!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
paddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

I have a Fentum with the 29 Queens Row, Walworth address. It has a very Rudall-like look and feel and is a fabulous player. Sounds like you got a good one!

Jon
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

And now.

The answer we've all been waiting for.

Drum roll please......
No way! You lucky b...!!! :lol:
Nice catch!
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Ha ha! :devil:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Congratulations Aanvill! All the best!
nicklow

Post by nicklow »

Well there you go.... my guess was leaning to a higher pitch too, well 'played' anyway
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It will be here in a matter of minutes... :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Minutes strung into lots of them.... damn L.A. traffic.

Thanks Jon! :)

An interesting thing. The HJ from my 8-key "Wylde" could not have fit any better into the barrel belonging this Fentum. Both liner tubes appear to come from the exact same tube stock or at the very least made from the same tooling. Were they making their own tube stock in house or getting from an outside source?
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Nice little flute! It is very close to the one I have. I will post a photo of them together, when I get to the shop. Ironically, this has a replacement short F, and mine is also missing the key! Makes you wonder, if he had a bad casting...
One interesting not about the short F that is not the original, the original key is a Clementi, Monzani, and F,H&P design. The round touch with the recessed leather lined indentation. I don't know which maker invented that design, probably Clementi. I am working on a F,H&P at the moment with it, and a smaller version on a short foot Monzani.
The highly figured Cocuswood looks beautiful. That it was kind of a second, as they liked the straight grain, but similar to other Wylde made flutes. I don't think smaller shops had access to the choose woods.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Yea, I didn't realize that the short F wasn't original until this morning. Pointed peak detail where the spoon meets the cup as opposed to the flat detail on the original keys.

Interesting idea about the casting. We've seen short F fail before I think.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:Yea, I didn't realize that the short F wasn't original until this morning. Pointed peak detail where the spoon meets the cup as opposed to the flat detail on the original keys.

Interesting idea about the casting. We've seen short F fail before I think.
Yes, I have seen Wylde flutes with pretty bad castings!
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

All done! :party:
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Wow! And an a bone screw cap! Woohoo!

I'll come get it tomorrow! :-)

So cool.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Oh ma guuurrrrd!!

I just payed a visit to Jon to pick it up.

With all the micro cracks zipped up and with the pads and tenons reconditioned and repaired its a wonderfully good flute. :love:

Jon does great work!
Aanvil

I am not an expert