How to improve (tweak) a Dixon Trad in D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sakarron
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How to improve (tweak) a Dixon Trad in D whistle

Post by Sakarron »

Hello, i'm new at this forum and new at the whistle world.

You see, i live in a third-world country, and nobody sells tin whistles in here. The only way to get one would be through amazon or some website like that, but Dollar it's very expensive in my country.

So, well, i asked to a cousin that lives in England and visits our country from time to time, to get me a tin whistle. She got me a Dixon traditional, made of brass, in key of D. I really enjoy it, it sounds way better than the sh*t recorder. But i have a problem. Some octaves (specially in the E hole) are kinda airy. I tried a "tweaking" and that was sticking toilet paper inside the whistle really tight, in the air camera, but that didn't improve anything (didn't make it worse either).

I'm going to try my best to get a Susato, i've read that they sound way brighter and louder.

The thing is, how can i tweak my whistle without failing?

Also, could you recommend a Susato? I saw that they are different models.

Thanks and sorry if someone already did a thread like this.
Mr.Gumby

Re: How to improve (tweak) a Dixon Trad in D whistle

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's probably not a useful reply in your situation but when the DixTrad first was new I bought one out of curiosity. The next day I showed it to another whistle player asking an opinion. I got the reply she didn't like them because of a 'hissy e' that the ones she had tried (at the same seller I picked up mine from) all sported. She had to admit mine didn't have that particular flaw.

Which only goes to show once more you really need to try a whistle, any whistle, before you buy it (and yes I realise that's no use to someone who has to rely on friends to bring or send over instruments).

A remedy. I don't know, in any other situation I'd probably suggest to dump it and put it down to experience but that won't do in your situation. I can only suggest the trad seems to be very sensitive to how much air you're trying to put through it, especially on the e in both octaves and air noise seems to increase very rapidly with the amount of pressure.
My brain hurts

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

IMHO you should steer clear of Susatos unless you enjoy a piercing, plastic recorder sound and toyish looks..
Again, just my honest *subjective* opinion
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Sakarron wrote:Also, could you recommend a Susato? I saw that they are different models.
Yes there are currently five models of Susato high D whistles available.

The S-bore Susato Kildare high D is the subject of much distain. Much of it is unfounded in my opinion. Yes it is a very loud whistle at the top end of its range. Those notes can take some skill to hit comfortably but that comes along the more you play one. They reward generous air input and playing with wild abandon. The top-end issue can be ameliorated somewhat by using the simple MTGuru O-Ring tweak described here - elastic bands work too. It is a popular whistle in some circles. The tone is very pure and some people do not prefer that and others think that sounds like plastic. I don't know that plastic has a particular sound. Kevin Crawford of Lunasa fame plays a Kildare S-series in C with great effect.

Then there is the V-bore Susato Kildare high D. This is a more well behaved whistle and a decent choice if you like the sound of a Susato. The narrower bore limits the overall volume and help make the top notes more playable. This is a good choice in a Susato if you like the sound.

The there is the Susato Dublin S-series high D model which is being phased out according to some sources. This is much like the Kildare S-series outwardly. But the bores are completely cylindrical. The Kildares have slightly tapers bores. These are on their way out. The Kelischeks themselves, Susato's makers. do not sell them any more but many retailers still have them in stock. I'd skip this one.

Then there is the Susato V-Series Dublin high D. Again very similar to the V-series Kildare but a cylindrical bore and non-tunable. I would pass on this one too for the non-tunable characteristic.

The newest Susato high D is the Oriole. It is a lot like the Kildare S-bore in playing character and sound. It plays rather well, IMO. It is tunable. One head fits several bodies in different keys. These were priced well below the other Susatos when they were first released but prices have climbed over the last year. I have not seen a good deal on one in months. You could still search the net for one. It is still a decent whistle at a fair price. I like the Oriole but I also like the Kildare S-series whistles, YMMV.

Susatos are fairly robust whistles. The only part that needs to be protected is the blade/labium which is soft at the sharp edge. However some folks will nick the blade to make the sound slightly less pure - results can vary depending on how you nick the edge. Otherwise the Susatos can last a long time. They are weather resistant being ABS plastic and play better than many whistles in a breeze.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tor

Post by Tor »

How to improve a Dixon Trad D whistle: Just play it more! :)
That worked for me at least - the more I played it the better it sounded and the 2nd octave got better and better and I really like the whistle now.
I bought two btw - I gave away one. I can't find any differences between the two, so according to my extremely limited sample they're very consistent. These two are nickel. I've also seen, held and heard (but not played) a third one, in brass. Sounded similar from what I could tell, taking into consideration that it was played by another person.

Tor
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi,

Based on my Dixon older models, they have a hallow fipple/stopper. I have also made Tony Customized my DX202 Head in Similar to the Trad Model.

If the case is hallow fipple you can put a tacky poster putty instead of toilet paper.
Toilet paper accumulates moist and can be a breeding ground of bacteria/yeast/fungi/virus/amoeba/protozoa/algae, :devil: etc.

If you came from a Recorder/ Classical Flute Background, you will definitely comment and notice the Hissy E (Second octave, Second Note) of a whistle.

I also noted that on my Susato in all keys, Feadog, Generation and Dixon on my first try.
Eventually I have learned to embrace the quality/bugs of a tin whistle.

Even a sweet and pure birdlike Bluebird Freeman has the same hissy sound (in my ear)

My description of the hiss is it is kinda mute the note a little (but still louder than Cnatural), and you hear in your own ear the "F" Consonant.

If I will phonate/enunciate it, it is like pronouncing 'efffffff' (like "elf" without "L" but "F" is somehow sustained). If this is not your description, then disregard this message.

I think, IMHO, it is based on your experience that you are used to the 'clean' and somehow smooth and quiet sound of a Recorder in second octave or sweet sound of metal Classical flute Flute in comparison to the overblown 'Chiff' of the whistle.

However I tested this theory if it is my ear or the instrument.

I made a recording of my own tune practices and
apparently the sound becomes clearer and no hiss was recorded.

My theory is, it is my/your ear.

The sound we hear when we play a tin whistle and flute is actually 2 sounds.

First sound: Sound of the notes played
Second sound: Sound of your breath/air traveling to the tubes/traveling to your cheeks then to your ears.

Your own ear is very much sensitive to even hearing your own breath. If this is the case, you also have a good ear/paranoid ear :lol:

*Notice that the whistle has 6 hole and E+ note is the first note that is only one hole that is open.
Where the B3 hole serves as a vent.

*Notice also the velocity of the Air on the second octave which is faster than that of the first octave.

When your air velocity is faster and you have a smaller vent, you normally hear a hiss (my definition)

In my own definition (not this is my OWN, you can have your own definition), I think it is a Venting effect.

I define the venting effect as a force where air exits in a narrow hole.

Notice that the sound of F#+ has no Hiss (my definition) because air has vented on 2 holes already.

I happen to notice also that this venting effect is somehow minimized if the B3 hole is larger.

I am not good in Physics, maybe Hans can comment on this. He is a freaking master on this.

Hans, we need your guidance. :wink:

Regards,

Angel
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”