What should I do and where should I start?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What should I do and where should I start?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You should also consider the possibility you're actually blowing the other notes sharp, beginner can be strong blowers sometimes. Play it by ear, don't check yourself against a tuner all the time.
My brain hurts

Meridian1101

Post by Meridian1101 »

I hadn't thought to check against a tuner, I was just hearing what I hear, but I'll keep a close check on airflow, thanks.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

Mikethebook wrote:With recorder you would have been used to tonguing every note the classical way.
This seems to be an oft repeated statement about the "classical way". I don't have time or inclination to get into this too much right now but much of the music originally composed for recorders probably would not have had slurs/tonguing indications in the written parts - the player would be expected to know what to do, much like ITM!
And there would be, as always, differences of opinion.
And you might even do it differently at different times.

A couple General Rules
- don't tongue too much
- listen to "good players" and imitate them, though it can be tricky to know what they are doing!

Instead of "good" I could have said "players you like/love" - but as one listens to more players what one thinks is "good" may change
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
Meridian1101

Post by Meridian1101 »

Thanks. Who are some favourite players of people in here? I find lists on the Internet of famous Irish tin whistle players but without going through every single one (I intend to at some stage) it would be really useful to know some of the best loved.

Both the A and low F Cheiftain whistles arrived today. They have a very nice sound, and the low F is do-able although it will take quite some time to manage the stretch comfortably. So glad I swapped the low D, I honestly don't think I'd ever have managed that one, at least not the Kerry Pro. The A plays wonderfully, extremely nice tone.

One thing I noticed is the plastic boxes that whistles come in... I'm guessing that's how most come because the Dixon high D also came in the same style. Very useful boxes to put the whistle back each time, but is this usually how to store a whistle? Or is there some sort of canvas holder or something to keep multiple whistles?
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Glad you're pleased with the swop! Generally speaking, very generally speaking, whistle players can be classified between high and low whistle players though some are known for covering both. Mary Bergin and Joanie Madden stand out as perhaps the most famous and loved of contemporary high whistle players (though both do play lower key whistles). Depending on your taste in music there is a wide range of low whistle players. My favourites are Davy Spillane, John McSherry and Brendan Ring.

There are bags available for keeping multiple whistles but they are not always cheap. There have been several threads relating to these bags. Examples include http://mkwhistles.com/mkshop/accessorie ... l-bag.html and http://www.colingoldie.de/accessories.html.

Edit: Here's a recent thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93779
Meridian1101

Post by Meridian1101 »

Ok, thanks a lot! Will follow that link in a minute. I take it then that most people keep their whistle in the hard plastic container it arrived in?

I have recently bought Mary Bergin's 'Feadóga Stáin' which I'm enjoying, and will look out now for the other you mentioned. I'm interested in both low and high players. Davy Spillane I know, great sound, though I know him more for his uilleann pipes. Michael McGoldrick and Brian Finnegan are the others I listen to. But after that I'm rather unfamiliar. Definitely will go and listen to John McSherry and Brendan Ring, thank you.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

My advice would be that you don't keep a whistle in the plastic container. Playing will leave dampness inside the whistle and an airtight container is then the last place you want to put it. I tend to leave whistles stood up in a corner allowing then to drain and breathe. If you do want protective containers for them then go for something breathable. Colin Goldie's individual whistle bags are tough and inexpensive. http://www.colingoldie.de/accessories.html. Or you can find whistle bags on eBay e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-LOW-WHISTL ... 20d56589db
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Joanie Madden is almost as famous as Mary Bergin for the high whistle but much more prolific. Check out sample of her solo albums here http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?H ... &style=all. They are very different to Mary's albums but wonderful all the same. In addition there are all the albums she has done as part of the band Cherish The Ladies. If you like her music, and few people don't, a book of transcriptions of many of her tunes is available if you want to spend more money!!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

So glad I swapped the low D, I honestly don't think I'd ever have managed that one, at least not the Kerry Pro.
Everyone feels that way with low D at first, I assure you. Your experience probably would have been the same, regardless of what low D you were using. If you practice using the piper's grip each day, it does get better and will eventually likely be no more difficult than a regular soprano whistle.

I felt the same way with low whistles at first, and simply thought I couldn't ever be able to do it, no matter what. Now I have no issues with them, at all.. It's no more difficult for my hands than a soprano D. Then I went through a repeat of that situation when I got a reviol which has bigger left hand holes than any other whistle I've played. I thought it would also be impossible or that I had some kind of physical limitation due to how my hands are, and that it would be impossible. A month of practicing heavily on it, and now it's no problem either.

It is extremely common for people to think this way when they start playing something with a greater reach, but the simple fact is that it takes actual time and effort to be able to do it, and I highly doubt anyone picks up a low whistle for the first time and plays it with no problems.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Just to chuck in my thoughts.

You need a D (low or high) if you are going to play with others. No one can play along easily with the other keys BUT you may be able to play with singers who sing in all kinds of bizarre keys.

Dixon whistles are my least favourite because from experience they are often out of tune so you are not at all alone in your findings. Then I did wonder if that is because they are often bought as a second whistle by less experienced players and with practice can be played in tune as suggested above. However, why not just get a whistle that sounds right? Something like a susato is easily found and won't break the bank and is reliably in tune.

When I got my low d I cried because I couldn't play it, but I can now. Times have moved on and there are lots of low d s designed for smaller hands and some time you may find one that suits, so don't give up the dream completely.

Enjoy your whistling, it changed my life for the better.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No one can play along easily with the other keys
That's a bit of an overstatement isn't it?
Dixon whistles are my least favourite because from experience they are often out of tune so you are not at all alone in your findings. Then I did wonder if that is because they are often bought as a second whistle by less experienced players and with practice can be played in tune as suggested above. However, why not just get a whistle that sounds right? Something like a susato is easily found and won't break the bank and is reliably in tune.
I can empathise with the dislike of Dixon whistles. I don't like them much myself although t I haven't found the ones I tried (or the Trad I have myself) badly tuned or difficult to play in tune. But, caveat, my sample may have been a limited one.

The susato is not really one much recommended for a (relative) beginner. If anything, the (high) D is LOUD and can be lethal in the hands of a less than experienced player. Not one you would want to bring to your friendly session and hope to be welcomed back, certainly if you are not quite in complete control of it.

Best to try what you can and go with something you like.
My brain hurts

maki

Post by maki »

Good high ds to consider are the Cillian O'Brien tweaked whstle; http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... rod_id=510

Or one of Jerry Freemans tweaked whistle;
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... rod_id=536

These whistle cost more than the cheapies or a Dixon, but they
play soooo much better.
Susatos are good but loud, I own a bunch, but I don't use them indoors without muting them.
Used Susato often come up for sale on the used instrument board.
Also consider a collection of used tweaked whistles (including a honey of a Freeman Bluebird)
that are for sale by a member in Scotland. No finacial interest on my part.

Another thought is that after you play your Kerry F for a while you may want
to make another run at the low D. There are some instrument more friendly
to smaller hands. The subject come up with regularity on the forum, if you
wanted to do search you could find many such threads.
Last edited by maki on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Also consider a collection of used tweaked whistles (including a honey of a Freeman Bluebird)
that are for sale by a member in Scotland.
Thanks Maki for the advertising :D But as he said, all the tweaked "cheap" whistles whether it be one of Cillian O'Briain's (apparently beloved by all the students on the University of Limerick's traditional music course) or one of Jerry Freeman's play better than a Dixon and I have a whole collection to sell at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=94285. They're all excellent whistles, the only reason I'm selling them because I've found a more expensive high D that I love.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I can empathise with the dislike of Dixon whistles. I don't like them much myself although t I haven't found the ones I tried (or the Trad I have myself) badly tuned or difficult to play in tune. But, caveat, my sample may have been a limited one.
FWIW (having not tried any lower Dixons), I've got Dixon Trads in E, Eb and D, solid brass DX203s in D and C (two of each!) and have also tried the alloy DX006 C, but never found any of these 'badly tuned' beyond the slight caveat of a tendency to flat bell notes (most noticeable in the otherwise stunning DX203 Ds)...
Mikethebook wrote:But as he said, all the tweaked "cheap" whistles whether it be one of Cillian O'Briain's (apparently beloved by all the students on the University of Limerick's traditional music course) or one of Jerry Freeman's play better than a Dixon
So, given that I'd rate most of my Dixons higher than my Freemans (Mellow Dog set + Gen. Bb, which I'm just not playing), I'd be very wary of blanket statements like 'all the tweaked "cheap" whistles [...] play better than a Dixon'!

:boggle:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
maki

Post by maki »

Peter Duggan wrote: So, given that I'd rate most of my Dixons higher than my Freemans (Mellow Dog set + Gen. Bb, which I'm just not playing), I'd be very wary of blanket statements like 'all the tweaked "cheap" whistles [...] play better than a Dixon'!

:boggle:
Honest opinions on whistles can vary enormously.
My Dixon Trad was certianly acceptable.
And I'll agree with you entirely on Hans Bracker whistles which are fantatsic.
Spice is the variety life, or something like that.