New Lebanon, NY?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New Lebanon, NY?

Post by aderyn_du »

Does anyone know of any music events going on in the New Lebanon, NY area around June 9-11, or any particular places of interest to visit? I'll be up in that area June 5-15, though my only free time will be the 9th through the 11th. I know absolutely nothing about the area, so I was hoping someone might be able to fill me in a bit. :)

If any Chiff and Fipplers live up that way, drop me a PM-- maybe we can get together and down a pint!! Image

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Hi Andrea!

New Lebanon is kind of isolated. Will you have access to a car? Because it's an hour drive to Albany from there, and an hour and a half to Hartford, CT. Both of those are places where you might have better luck. Hey! Busman whistles is in the Albany area...
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

July 13 to the 19 would have been better
The East Durham Irish festival takes place about 66 miles from there.
http://www.east-durham.org/irishartsweek/news.htm
Lots of great workshops and activates.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Hey Jim! I'm thinking about renting a car for a few days, so hopefully I will have some mobility. :) I hadn't put two and two together about Busman whistles being in the Albany area, and New Lebanon being near Albany-- and here I've recently been thinking about buying a Busman. What a coinkydink!! Must be fate... :-D

All the best,
Andrea
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Well, darn, Wizzer! I wish I could change the time I was coming up there, but I'm at the mercy of others on this one. Things are already set for those dates, and I don't think that 40 people will change their plans for me to be able to go to an Irish festival-- though I think they should, don't you?! ;)

Andrea
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hey, and I'm in the Hartford area! Imagine that!

Andrea, I'll take a look in the papers here for ya!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TomB

Post by TomB »

tyghress wrote:Hey, and I'm in the Hartford area! Imagine that!

Andrea, I'll take a look in the papers here for ya!
Well, being that June 11th is a Wednesday, wouldn't there be a session at the City Steam that evening?

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

As a matter of fact there will be, Tom. And have you come to one yet? I don't bite. . .well, not much anyway. . . :D
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TomB

Post by TomB »

tyghress wrote:As a matter of fact there will be, Tom. And have you come to one yet? I don't bite. . .well, not much anyway. . . :D
I knew as I was posting that I might open myself up. No, I haven't come yet, but I'm getting closer. I just mentioned it to my wife the other day that I, or we if she wants to join me, need to get to the City Steam on Wednesday(s), at least now and again.

I doubt if it will be this week and next week Wednesday we will be travelling back from Seattle, but I'll get there soon, and I'll drop you a line before I do, if that's ok.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Tyghress!! How cool is that?! I don't know for sure that I'll be able to slip away to the Hartford area, but I will surely try if you'd like to grab a cup of coffee or something. It would be really wonderful to meet you! :) If I can swing it, I'll see if I can come watch the session that y'all mentioned. What a blast that would be!!

Oh, my Bill Hart book came today-- thanks so much!!

All the best,
Andrea
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Well if you're all going to Hartford for that session on the 11th, I suppose I can make the drive out there as well. I've been planning to go sooner or later, and Andrea being in the area will cement the date. Ty, does Bill H. attend that session? Maybe Andrea can get him to autograph the book! :wink:
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hey Andrea-- glad to hear that you're coming to our area. I'd certainly be happy to have you come up for a visit. The 9th is my wife's Birthday, so I'll be busy, but we could probably connect on the 10 or 11th. The 10th is a Tues, and there's a session called the Fiddler's Tour every Tues , open to any and all acoustic instruments. Each month, it meets in a different location-- don't know yet where they will be in June.
What the heck brings you to New Lebanon? Ain't really a whole lot right there, although there are many wonderful places nearby.. The thing that springs to mind IN NL is the Speedway-- an auto racing place with a circular dirt track and dragstrip. Actually quite a bit of fun, if you've never done that sort of thing.
Nearby is Stockbridge MA, with the Norman Rockwell museum, etc. Tanglewood in Lenox MA is the summer home of the Boston Symphony, but I'm not sure if they will have started by early June.
Please feel free to e-mail me for other suggestions, and hopefully we can get together. Just let me know WELL ahead of time, since our calendar gets pretty full pretty fast!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

brewerpaul wrote: What the heck brings you to New Lebanon? Ain't really a whole lot right there, although there are many wonderful places nearby.. The thing that springs to mind IN NL is the Speedway-- an auto racing place with a circular dirt track and dragstrip. Actually quite a bit of fun, if you've never done that sort of thing.
Hey Paul! There was a time I would have been all up for the auto racing, but now it just hurts my ears and wreaks havoc with my vibration. My body doesn't like all that noise anymore. Getting old or something. :-P

In answer to your question, I'll be up at a Sufi place on a retreat-- I'm not Sufi but they do open their facilities to others, so a group I belong to will be having our get-together there. It's my understanding that their land space was once a Shaker village, but as indicated in another thread, the Shakers that were there have all passed on. I guess when that happened the land went up for sale, and this Sufi group bought it for their community. It looks like a pretty area from the pictures I've seen! I'm looking forward to experiencing some new scenery. :)

I'll definitely get in touch with you once my plans are firmed up!

Best,
Andrea
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

jim_mc wrote:Well if you're all going to Hartford for that session on the 11th, I suppose I can make the drive out there as well. I've been planning to go sooner or later, and Andrea being in the area will cement the date.

Aww, I feel so special!! :-D I really hope I can get away for a day, it would be so great to meet so many Chiffy people!!

~A
slowair

Re: New Lebanon, NY

Post by slowair »

Hello Andrea,

Since you mention the Shakers, there is a really nice museum in Hancock, MA which is just over the border and down the road. Plan on spending the afternoon there if you really like to explore. Nice place for a picnic lunch too.

If I'm not mistaken, the Suni facility is down the road from the Darrow School. That use to be a Shaker village as well. Many of the buildings are still there and are now being used by the school. Bring a camera. There is an old abandoned three story stone barn just as you turn off the main road. No roof and trees growing up on the inside, but if you go at sunset, you can get incredible pictures.

Paul mentioned the Fiddler's Tour which meets every Tuesday around the Albany area. That is a great event to see or participate in.

Also on Tuesdays in the Albany area is a Slow Session that meets at a local pub. To learn more, there is a web page....

http://www.communitylinks.us/comhaltas.htm

If you enjoy hiking, you will be pretty much in the Berkshires. Plenty of easy trails and great scenics.

Oh yeah, you can walk down the road from the Suni place and you'll find a farm right on the road. If you are lucky, you can catch the farmer herding his sheep using a couple of Boarder Collies. There is a pond behind the barn that makes a great picture at any time of the year.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Mike Reagan