why do you play the flute you play?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: why do you play the flute you play?

Post by ImNotIrish »

oleorezinator wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:I have settled in quite nicely with my original Hudson Pratten. I think it has a sound that is unique unto itself. After 170+ years, it has matured into a timbre all it's own. I know, I will sound like I sound on whatever flute, but this one in particular expresses itself superbly! It has character in voice, projection, nuance and playability....
Arbo
That timber may have timbre but you've always gotten a beautiful sound no matter whose instrument it was.

Thank you!
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Because they suit my style of playing very well. I mean the link-mouth-lips-embouchure after a long period of trial and error. The sound they produce on a good day. The way they look :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Which flutes are they? I know you've told us somewhere, but I forgot.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Olwell Pratten, Grinter D & Bb, Watson, Doyle, Hammy Eb in that order and backwards :party:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ronnie wrote:Olwell Pratten, Grinter D & Bb, Watson, Doyle, Hammy Eb in that order and backwards :party:
I have to say, I've never played my flute* backwards. I wonder if it would help?

:)

R&R ca 1838 (haven't got the serial number to hand)
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

It helps to take another view on things now and then...lol
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

I was thinking when I was playing today that you definitely can't go wrong with buyng a Patrick Olwell flute nore with a Grinter which are my two favourite flutes but I would never part with the Martin Doyle, the Glenn Watson or the Hammy Hamilton so if you pick one of these flutes you'll find your favourite flute. Just saying.....
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Ronnie - I was thinking of getting a keyless Watson as a second (traveling) flute - how does yours compare against the Hammy or Doyle?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

JohnB wrote:Ronnie - I was thinking of getting a keyless Watson as a second (traveling) flute - how does yours compare against the Hammy or Doyle?
Don't know about his particular one, but the several I've tried are completely different from an Hammy or Doyle. Smaller bore, different embouchure cut etc. All three the makers make nice flutes, the rest is a matter of taste...
Last edited by LorenzoFlute on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I never managed to get the right feeling with Watson flutes... I'm a big Hammy's fan, even if this month I'm into the "Heeey, well, I'd like to get a Cotter" mood... :) About having a "second flute for travel" I think that it must have the kind of embouchure you know to have an immediate confidence with...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

radcliff wrote:I never managed to get the right feeling with Watson flutes... I'm a big Hammy's fan, even if this month I'm into the "Heeey, well, I'd like to get a Cotter" mood... :) About having a "second flute for travel" I think that it must have the kind of embouchure you know to have an immediate confidence with...
Second that.. Having a second flute that is different only leads to frustration and constant (re)adjusting vs having for example one keyed and one keyless (or one timber and one Delrin) flute from the same maker.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks - I've got a Chris Wilkes keyed (Rudall) so I'm after a Rudall copy rather than a Pratten that I can use as a second flute that's not going to be the end of the world if something happens to it.

I'm aware that I need to try before I buy but I don't have contact with other flute players - don't go to sessions much these days and as far as I'm aware there are no trad flute outlets(?) in London, so just getting a feel as to what's available and Glen Watson's name crops up as being a good maker in his class (if that's the right term)
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

JohnB wrote:Thanks - I've got a Chris Wilkes keyed (Rudall) so I'm after a Rudall copy rather than a Pratten that I can use as a second flute that's not going to be the end of the world if something happens to it.

I'm aware that I need to try before I buy but I don't have contact with other flute players - don't go to sessions much these days and as far as I'm aware there are no trad flute outlets(?) in London, so just getting a feel as to what's available and Glen Watson's name crops up as being a good maker in his class (if that's the right term)

Harry Bradley posted a resounding endorsement of Watson flutes on this site a few years ago. As one of the leading players and an avowed fan of Rudall style flutes, his recommendation is about as reliable as one is going to get.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As did Julia D. when Watson flutes first appeared. FWIW, I played one briefly at a session a couple of years ago and liked it a lot.
I have trouble with the Hammy--for me it's a bit of a handful.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I have trouble with the Hammy--for me it's a bit of a handful
I tried a Hammy at Willie week about 20 years ago and decided that I preferred a Rudall - but in those days I had to think twice about which end to blow into :)