your top 3 non-Celtic tunes you play on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: your top 3 non-Celtic tunes you play on whistle

Post by Flexismart »

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Flavius wrote:1) Danse de l'ours, which we actually use to dance to as a chapelloise

This was one of the first tunes I learned on whistle a long time ago, and I was wondering where it originates. I've heard it called "Polka D'ours" at first, and was under the impression that it was french perhaps (?). Then I heard something extremely similar but called Der Bärentanz, or "The Bears' Dance", which I believe to be the same tune. Each version of it I hear has slightly different variances to the different parts, but is overall the same tune, or at very least quite closely related.

It seems to be a very widespread tune, and I've heard it attributed to quite a few different countries, so I assume it's an older tune due to the fact that it's so widespread and has such disputed origins. Do you have any information on it? It's a very fun tune. I've heard it said to be belgian, french , german, etc.

And thanks for sharing that stuff , PanCelticPiper.... I've been listening to bulgarian music for much of the evening just youtube surfing the recommendations I get from those links you shared. The first tune was very familiar to me, as it is on Sylvain Barou's album on the track titled simply "Horos", although he plays it on Irish Flute, rather than Kaval. It's nice to hear it played on one of the traditional instruments, by a person from the region of that tradition, though. The two versions are very similar, that being said. I don't think I have ever heard a Kaval before reading this thread.

I like this thread. Irish, Scottish, Breton, Swedish, Asturian/Galician, and Appalacian Old-Time music are my favourite types of music, but for the most part lately I primarily just play Irish and Scottish tunes on whistle, with occasionally a Breton tune thrown in here or there. So, I suppose I don't play many "non-celtic" musics on whistle, aside from the above mentioned tune and things I've made up. Irish Trad is my favourite music, but I do think it would be fun to branch out a bit and learn some other music on high and low whistles, as I do with my other instruments.

So... I look forward to reading more posts on this thread!
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Learning to Fly by Tom Petty. The slide guitar breaks and fills, as well as the countermelody work really well on the whistle. Jazz standards like Summertime and Superstition also are fun.
Lazy River

Post by Lazy River »

1. Greenland Fisheries
2. Uncloudy Day
3. Will the Circle Be Unbroken

-- Al
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Simple Gifts, AKA Lord of the Dance

Summertime

I'll Fly Away
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

Sirchronique wrote:and I was wondering where it originates. (...) Do you have any information on it?
Alas, nothing solid. Like yourself, I've found many different claims for country of origin (Germany, Netherlands, Flanders) and time (from late XVI century to the 1970's). Unfortunately, nothing on historical records. Lacking written documentation, perhaps some musicologist out there could (has already?) analyze its structure and propose an historical dance form where it could fit. But seeing as many modern compositions mimic older structures, and many folk tunes seem to hop and leap all over Europe (Branle de l'official, La Tua Danza Si Leggiera), I'd say odds are we'll be left in the dark.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Flatbush waltz, no introduction needed
Visa från Rättvik, from Jan Johansson jazz på svenska.
The theme from Godfather

Since I sold my keyed flute I'll play them in different keys than original :-)
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

what a great collection! so the next question is: have you ever tried one of these at a session?
i awkwardly tried a few celtic tunes at a bluegrass session (we had a tv monitor with the music scanned in for those that didn't have every tune memorized) and it kinda worked.
it's always funny when you are in a room of people that have been doing only one form of music for 80% of their life.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

dspmusik wrote: have you ever tried one of these at a session?
Most of the Irish sessions I've attended appear to have an unwritten rule that everything must be Irish session tunes.

I worked out a couple sets of Scottish jigs and reels with a fiddler and a guitarist I know, but we only play them if we're the only ones present.

Suddenly breaking into a Bulgarian tune, Classical piece, Jethro Tull tune, or what have you, wouldn't go over well at all.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Most of the Irish sessions I've attended appear to have an unwritten rule that everything must be Irish session tunes.

I worked out a couple sets of Scottish jigs and reels with a fiddler and a guitarist I know, but we only play them if we're the only ones present.

Suddenly breaking into a Bulgarian tune, Classical piece, Jethro Tull tune, or what have you, wouldn't go over well at all.
And that's the joy of an English Music session - whilst they are predominantly English (in all that subject's variety, from the various Morris traditions to Northumbrian to Lancashire 3/2 hornpipes to Sussex polkas and step-dances etc etc), but the occasional a Bulgarian tune, Classical piece, Jethro Tull tune, or what have you is very unlikely to get you ejected.

The Wallace & Gromit theme can often be slotted into the middle of a set of polkas without too many people even realising what it is they're playing until it's too late ...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

sfmans wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:

And that's the joy of an English Music session - whilst they are predominantly English (in all that subject's variety, from the various Morris traditions to Northumbrian to Lancashire 3/2 hornpipes to Sussex polkas and step-dances etc etc), but the occasional a Bulgarian tune, Classical piece, Jethro Tull tune, or what have you is very unlikely to get you ejected.

The Wallace & Gromit theme can often be slotted into the middle of a set of polkas without too many people even realising what it is they're playing until it's too late ...
It's funny, but I've found the exact opposite to be the case. Irish sessions, if they're any good, in the UK, or just about any Irish trad session in Ireland, will tolerate more or less anything. It's the English sessions that I've found to be a bit exclusive ... not to say, excluding.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

benhall.1 wrote: It's funny, but I've found the exact opposite to be the case. Irish sessions, if they're any good, in the UK, or just about any Irish trad session in Ireland, will tolerate more or less anything. It's the English sessions that I've found to be a bit exclusive ... not to say, excluding.
That's a real shame - you've obviously been unfortunate in your choice of English sessions. Or I've been unfortunate in my choice of Irish sessions. Or, most likely, both ....
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

sfmans wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: It's funny, but I've found the exact opposite to be the case. Irish sessions, if they're any good, in the UK, or just about any Irish trad session in Ireland, will tolerate more or less anything. It's the English sessions that I've found to be a bit exclusive ... not to say, excluding.
That's a real shame - you've obviously been unfortunate in your choice of English sessions. Or I've been unfortunate in my choice of Irish sessions. Or, most likely, both ....
It's happened a few times. The worst was the occasion when I was at a social gathering - not something billed as a session at all. At some point, instruments were produced, and I happened to have my fiddle with me so took the thing out and waited for the fun to begin. I should have known there was something up when, before anybody had played a note, a woman said "No, what shall we play - English or French?" I didn't think much of it though, and carried on. I played a few tunes with them and, because there was a really decent Irish whistle player in our number, I threw in a common Irish jig at the end of some 6/8-ey Morris things (probably also called 'jigs' :wink: ). The rest just ... stopped. Me and my whistle playing friend sort of stumbled to a halt, watching the tumbleweed roll by. At which point, the woman said "We don't play Irish music" and they just carried on where they'd left off. They looked more than satisfied when me and me whistlin' friend slunk off in a dejected sort of way.

That's the worst example. I'm afraid it's by no means the only one, in my experience. I'd love to come and experience a friendly English session, sfmans. It would be a refreshing change.

Anyway, I'm sure there are some 'Irish' sessions that are just as bad. I just haven't come across them. :)
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

1) Happy Birthday

2) If I Only Had a Brain

3) The theme from the original "Superman" movie
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Funny you should say that. I'm suffering some mild tendonitis in my left hand, and have been messing with a Paddy-tuned harmonica of late, (since it doesn't aggravate anything except my family).

'If I Only Had a Brain' is high on my list of "Good Paddy-Harp Tunes".
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde