Hello from Germany

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlegirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hello from Germany

Post by Whistlegirl »

Hello all i´m new here I have tried before to post but it seems it has not worked :-? I must say i´m surprised how many people are into playing tin whistle. It´s not well known in germany.

I´m playing tin whistle since a few month i had flute lessons about 17 years ago but stopped it because it was boring (german flute, "recorder" seems to be the right word for it, it´s a flute complete made of wood) . But i have found the passion again the Corrs and Jethro Tull inspired me to pick up the whistle and to try it again :)
it´s not easy to learn the ornaments but it´s so much fun and i love the sound of the tin whistle :)

i hope my english is ok you can correct me at any time

so keep on whistling :)
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Hi Whistlegirl,

here's a warm welcome from a German fellow whistler (there are actually a few around here on the board). In other words "Gruess Dich!"
Where in Germany are you located - maybe somewhere around the Duesseldorf area?

Cheers
Claus
Whistlegirl

Post by Whistlegirl »

Hallo Claus thanks for the welcome

i think i go on in english eh? :D I´m born and raised in Hamburg but living now in Grabau (Schleswig-Holstein) about 40 Km away from Hamburg.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Welcome, Whistlegirl!

One of my favorite whistle makers, Colin Goldie, is located in Germany, along with Claus, so you're in good company.

Jim
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
madguy

Post by madguy »

Welcome, Whistlegirl! Enjoy yourself and don't be a stranger!!!

~Larry
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

A a great big WELCOME! to you whistlegirl!!!

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hello, Whistlegirl! Welcome. I spent some time in Hamburg some years ago with host family. It was a great time. Hope to see you here on the board! BTW, your english is quite good. Probably better than you think.

-Paul
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Welcome, Whistlegirl.

Your English is perfectly understandable and perhaps even better than some of the native English speakers who are lazy or just bad typists.
Curlyblue

Welcome and to get you started........

Post by Curlyblue »

Wilkommen :-)

You have found a good place with lots of information, links and friendly people.

The Corrs were the reason I started playing again too. I had a whistle for years but didn't know how to play it really. After discovering this site I learned there were many many more whistles and even whistle tutorials with tapes/cds. Was amazed to find such a large internet community with whistle players and maybe even more surprised that there was so much to know about these 'simple' instruments.

Now I'm a few years of playing, learning, browsing and whistle acquiring down the road and still not tired of it.

Check out this site, it got me started a couple of years ago (hasn't been updated for many years though).

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Stage/4444/

Have fun!
Ilana

p.s. don't want to go too fast too soon. That happened to me after a few months. It's starts really easy and you progress quickly but then I got frustrated that I couldn't play tunes the moment I looked at them/heard them. Gave it a few weeks rests thinking I never would be able to play Carraroe Jig/Joy of life or whatever its called. Didn't even want to play anymore, so I thought. But I did AND I could play it all of a sudden :-?
Don't know how or why and didn't care... Anyways, don't give up easily.
Whistlegirl

Post by Whistlegirl »

Hey thanks to you all for the nice welcome :) i´m really glad to have found a community like this. And Curlyblue thanks for the link i have found this site acidental a few month ago and have the songs printed out. So far i can play Lough Erin Shore, Little Wing and a bit Carraroe Jig but not so perfect like Andrea. I also had to learn again how to read notes and it has worked. But the most time i´m trying to play by ear this works as well. And yes sometimes it helps to give it a rest i do the same if i´m frustrated.

And Paul i´m glad to hear you did enjoy the Hamburg journey any plans to come back?

Keep on whistling :)
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Welcome!
french

Post by french »

from another whistler in germany, welcome to the board!

you will feel at home here - there are many who share your opinions about the "blocktröte". in fact, using the "r"-word is an open provocation to some (but all in fun, i'm sure).

greetings from korschenbroich!

- tom
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

Hello and pleased to meet you. :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Hey , welcome, and your English is probably better than my hillbilly version.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Turner

Post by Turner »

Hello Whistlegirl, and greetings from Herford NRW!!