Hi everyone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Infernaltootler
antispam: No

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Infernaltootler »

I am simply gagging to try the harp. Trouble is, there now, is an instrument that is going to be a costly investment.

I went to get my travel hammer dulcimer out as an alternative and the cats had peed on the bag and all the strings had rusted and broken. Those cats are on their last lives.

I might have found someone within 45 mins who teaches though, which is a plus. And I'll maybe hire one for three months and see how it goes.

Meantime, loved your playing, jeebus, you're fast. I can't play that tune with all those there rolls so quick and crisp. Lovely. May try and get up to Celtic Connections next year (it's been on my list for so long).

Who are your fav players?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suspect a lot of the posters here have this image in their mind's eye when responding.

the harper wrote: I think the importance of listening to traditional music cannot be overstressed; it's the only way of getting a feel for the flow and the right rhythm of the music
I couldn't have put it any different myself. Flow, phrasing and rhythm (and lift) are indeed the things to listen for. And the twiddly bits that help emphasise them. Do select your listening material with a bit of care though.
Here I'll do my usual recommendation : Bro Steve's Transcription page

Keep at it!
My brain hurts

fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

kmarty wrote:Hi Claire and welcome.
Why does everyone insist on calling this poor bloke "Claire"?

cláirseach is Gaelic for "harp".
So I assume "clairseoir" means "harpist".
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Just another greeting... hello, and welcome. Have fun. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Infernaltootler wrote:I went to get my travel hammer dulcimer out as an alternative and the cats had peed on the bag and all the strings had rusted and broken. Those cats are on their last lives.
I suppose it goes without saying that you will have considered switching from wire to catgut. For that ancient, traditional sound. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
trill

Post by trill »

fearfaoin wrote:
MTGuru wrote:One small cavil...
The dictionary wrote:cav·il v A petty or unnecessary objection
You taught me a word whilst being self-effacing. Well done, sir.
(He does that alot. cf. Majuscule. Back to the original thread, already in progress. . . )
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

clairseoir wrote:Maybe you're overdoing it a bit with all the reverberation...
I'm working on it. I still didn't find the right value(s) of accurate reverb (using Audacity).
fearfaoin wrote:Why does everyone insist on calling this poor bloke "Claire"?

cláirseach is Gaelic for "harp".
Nikdo není dokonalý.

I thought that's clairseoir's (nick)name. Sorry about that.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

kmarty wrote:I thought that's clairseoir's (nick)name. Sorry about that.
Didn't mean to pick on you specifically, sorry.
clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

Infernaltootler wrote:I am simply gagging to try the harp. Trouble is, there now, is an instrument that is going to be a costly investment.

I might have found someone within 45 mins who teaches though, which is a plus. And I'll maybe hire one for three months and see how it goes.

Meantime, loved your playing, jeebus, you're fast. I can't play that tune with all those there rolls so quick and crisp. Lovely. May try and get up to Celtic Connections next year (it's been on my list for so long).

Who are your fav players?
Go for it, then! Once you've fallen for the harp, there's nothing you can do about it. For me no other instrument lives up to it! :) Thanks for the accolades! Celtic Connection's is cool, but sometimes a bit too much focused on 'emerging tradition/styles' for my fancy.

Favourite players.. oh dear, the list is long.. to mention just a few from the top of me head: Mary Bergin, Kevin Crawford, Allan MacDonald, Brendan Ring (who also happens to be a very gifted harp player).
Mr.Gumby wrote:I suspect a lot of the posters here have this image in their mind's eye when responding.
Well, I suggest they should have a look at these then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kudEyu5SQZ4 (Not me, but a great Irish harper, Glasgow based too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZmFhsy8QSU (Michael Rooney, the king of harp playing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEymeFxWhx0 (Paul Dooley, wire-strung harper and fiddler from Co. Clare, the second tune in the set is particularly impressive)
fearfaoin wrote:cláirseach is Gaelic for "harp".
That's correct. Not meaning to be pedantic here, but Irish Gaelic would tend to be referred to as simply 'Irish' in Ireland (Gaeilge in the language itself); Gaelic more often than not actually refers to Scots Gaelic (Gàidhlig) - the equivalents of cláirseach and cláirseoir in Gaelic are clàrsach and clàrsair. I've Gaelic, I hardly speak any Irish at all, but I can understand a bit, particularly when it's written.

Anyway, if people want to call me Claire, I don't mind; it's certainly easier to type than clairseoir ;)
"Don't worry about playing out of tune, it's a highly traditional way of playin."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

clairseoir wrote:That's correct. Not meaning to be pedantic here, but Irish Gaelic would tend to be referred to as simply 'Irish' in Ireland (Gaeilge in the language itself); Gaelic more often than not actually refers to Scots Gaelic (Gàidhlig) - the equivalents of cláirseach and cláirseoir in Gaelic are clàrsach and clàrsair. I've Gaelic, I hardly speak any Irish at all, but I can understand a bit, particularly when it's written.
Fair enough. I had assumed you were using Gaeilge since you were in Glasgow.
Didn't realize about the lack of slenderness in the Scottish "harp".
clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

fearfaoin wrote:
clairseoir wrote:That's correct. Not meaning to be pedantic here, but Irish Gaelic would tend to be referred to as simply 'Irish' in Ireland (Gaeilge in the language itself); Gaelic more often than not actually refers to Scots Gaelic (Gàidhlig) - the equivalents of cláirseach and cláirseoir in Gaelic are clàrsach and clàrsair. I've Gaelic, I hardly speak any Irish at all, but I can understand a bit, particularly when it's written.
Fair enough. I had assumed you were using Gaeilge since you were in Glasgow.
Didn't realize about the lack of slenderness in the Scottish "harp".
Yup, not slender at all, a very broad word. Broad s and broad l! I should have been using Gàidhlig as I'm in Glasgow, but I decided to go with Gaeilge in my username because I mostly play Irish harp music and identify strongly with that tradition, as opposed to the more classically influenced Scottish style. :)
"Don't worry about playing out of tune, it's a highly traditional way of playin."
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I believe you have missed a bit of, tongue in cheek, irony or whatever you may want to call it in my remark.

I am also not completely ignorant of Irish harping.
My brain hurts

clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I believe you have missed a bit of, tongue in cheek, irony or whatever you may want to call it in my remark. I am not completely ignorant of Irish harping. I know Paul D. too, from tunes and children going to same school and all that sort of local stuff.
I didn't assume you were! I did realise what you were doing, no worries. Although, the image you posted is exactly what a lot of harpers struggle to get rid of.. We tend to be typecast to do glissandi and nothing else by the public.. ;) I wasn't offended or anything, though! Just saw a great opportunity to share some fabulous harp music.
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

kmarty wrote:Hi Claire and welcome.

BTW. I wish to know play whistle as well as you :-).
oh come on buddy, you are very good, for the short time, that you play ;-)
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Hello and welcome, clairseoir!!!! (Gotta love copy & paste!)

Enjoyed that clip of your playing. :thumbsup: