Hi everyone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
clairseoir
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hi everyone

Post by clairseoir »

Hi everyone,

I've only just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. Not sure if this is the right sub-board; if it isn't, please let me know.

I'm a Swiss born harper and whistle player who is now based in Glasgow and I probably don't have to point out that this is an amazing community. :) Most of my (non trad-freak) friends are quite obviously fed up with me constantly pestering them with traditional music, but it appears that here I won't have to contain myself! Yay! :love:

I've been playing the traditional Irish harp for nearly a decade now, and lately I've also been exploring the world of the wire-strung harp. However, about two years ago I picked up the whistle as a second instrument and I've been enjoying playing it and getting better at it ever since. I play Jerry Freeman tweaked Generation whistles, as well as a Burke Session in D and a Burke Viper Low whistle in D. I love the Generation ones for their chiffy sound, whereas the Burke Session is great when playing together with another harper.

Well, I suppose I should give yous a sample of my playing. Please let me know what you think, but keep in mind I only learned the tune today. Recorded on my Burke Session whistle:

https://soundcloud.com/clairseoir/the-m ... ount-cisco
"Don't worry about playing out of tune, it's a highly traditional way of playin."
German Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hi everyone

Post by German Whistler »

Hi you
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Claire

Scotland can always accommodate another harpist/whistle player.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

Hello and welcome!
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Welcome, and nice playing. Rather crisply articulated, which I tend to associate with a more Scottish style.

One small cavil in your setting of "Maids" ... In the very last measure of both the A and B parts, you're playing |dBAB A3|. It's more usual to play |dBGB A3| with G instead of A, so that the arpeggio outlines a GMaj chord. Otherwise you'll drive sticklers like me crazy (well, crazier). :-) And since you've just learned the tune, it shouldn't be too hard to change. Heh heh.

Enjoy the Chiffboard!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

Thanks for the friendly everyone! :)

@MTGuru:
I suppose you can't help but be influenced by how people around you play ;). You are, by the way, completely right regarding the Maids! I've learnt the tune off a Comhaltas recording - just listened to it again, and indeed, they do play |dBGB A3|. Thanks for highlighting that wee blemish. :)
"Don't worry about playing out of tune, it's a highly traditional way of playin."
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

clairseoir wrote:Most of my (non trad-freak) friends are quite obviously fed up with me constantly pestering them with traditional music, but it appears that here I won't have to contain myself! Yay! :love:
I know the feeling myself. Welcome to the Chiffboards!
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Welcome Claire,

You've come to the best place on the internet for whistle and trad flute players.

Search around and make sure to get involved. We have some lively conversations.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Greetings Claire,
Great to have you join us here on C & F. Nice playing on the "Maids". Have fun on the board.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's apparent that the board has decided your name is "Claire", and there's not a thing you can do. Still, it's better than "Harpy", isn't it? :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

Bejaysus, haha, this makes me think of Claire Dunphy :D I reckon it is better than harpy, though ;)
maki

Post by maki »

Hello and welcome!
Nice playing too.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:One small cavil...
The dictionary wrote:cav·il v A petty or unnecessary objection
You taught me a word whilst being self-effacing. Well done, sir.
kmarty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kmarty »

Hi Claire and welcome.

BTW. I wish to know play whistle as well as you :-).
clairseoir

Post by clairseoir »

kmarty wrote:Hi Claire and welcome.

BTW. I wish to know play whistle as well as you :-).
Cheers, kmarty! :)

Also, thanks for that lovely compliment! All I can say is that my playing (which can certainly still be improved :P ) is the result of a lot of work and practising, but equally as much of listening to a large number of great whistle players, live and on recordings. I think the importance of listening to traditional music cannot be overstressed; it's the only way of getting a feel for the flow and the right rhythm of the music. Going to sessions and understanding the origin of this genre is helpful as well. IMO, it's absolutely crucial that you know in your head what you want a tune to sound like before you work on it. Once you have a clear idea, hear the tune in your head and can hum along to it, start practising, carefully making sure that your playing gets as close as to what you have in your head as possible.

Finally, I just had a listen to some of the jigs on your soundcloud profile! Great stuff! Fair play to ye :) I particularly like your rendering of the Rambling Pitchfork, an old favourite of mine. Maybe you're overdoing it a bit with all the reverberation, but other than that, kudos! :thumbsup: