New Joe Kennedy C Full Set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Sam L

Re: New Joe Kennedy C Full Set

Post by Sam L »

Well, I do have a recording device (me phone) and this is a short clip of; first a large metal cap, then mouth cap. Exactly the same chanter position and reed etc.

http://www.hunterpipes.co.uk/Sounds/differentcaps.mp3

Admit that it's an extreme example but it does demonstrate the principle. Unless you have cloth ears.

Also, as an aside, the volume of the cap can kill back D on a metal cap. For our chanters 5.5" is fine, 5" is a killer, as far as I am aware every time. This of course applies to the exact tube we've used.

This has happened twice to Peter, and once to me. Remembering what P had told me I swapped the cap and back D was fine again.
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

Also, and before anyone jumps on me I know this isn't exactly the same, if you blow out through a single reed instrument (a good ol harmonica) and change the volume of the cap (yer gob) you will hear the tone change dramatically.

If I turn a wooden cap real thin, then I get to hear more of the physical sound of the reed operating - I'd say up at 4-5k upwards. This being of course a separate deal to what I've already mentioned.

FWIW Peter originally disagreed with me that cap volume affects tone. I think he's now undecided.

edit for bad syntax
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
fiddlerwill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

hmm, how would you calculate the correct length top in relation to the 3 standing waves?
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Interesting results alright,I wonder if its just a nuance of your particular chanter.
Heres my latest cap and again no difference in tone or tuning, its four inches long , the shortest I could make it without squashing the reed.
I know its unfair that I have no recording but I'll try . My daughter has a vodophone smart 2. She can record but how do I upload it on to the net.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rorybbellows wrote:how do I upload it on to the net.
You could put it on Box.net or Soundcloud, Rory (free accounts). Or some other server.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

MTGuru wrote:You could put it on Box.net or Soundcloud, Rory (free accounts). Or some other server.
Thanks, I'll get my technical advisor(daughter) on to it.
Lets say for the moment that the volume before the reed makes a difference , anyone know why it makes a difference ?
The next question would be do the waves in the chanter and the waves in the chanter head interact, I think not. I think the reed as an type of vibrating pressure valve where a wave goes one way into the chanter and another in the area before the reed but they dont interact.
My experiment results so far seem to differ from Sam,s ,is there any other way to demonstrate if there's interaction or not ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

OK Rory. You're going to want to read this:http://www.tuftl.tufts.edu/musicenginee ... n_reed.pdf
I believe this was done by one of the bright young men behind the Boston Pipeworks.
This sort of research requires some expensive kit so not too much has been done yet. Naturally when Yamaha start churning out resin cast copies of Coynes and Egans. . . .
A good question is the one you asked about interaction of the side of the wind cap to the reed. As was observed, the reeds have vibrational modes which are tantalizingly like the actions of some chladny plates. My guess, is that the interaction with the windcap is secondary to the interaction with the standing wave in the bore. Maybe even a poor third in a field of two. . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Speaking of Boston Pipeworks ... does anyone know the basic reed specs for one of their concert chanters? I have a friend in need.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

an seanduine wrote:OK Rory. You're going to want to read this:http://www.tuftl.tufts.edu/musicenginee ... n_reed.pdf
I believe this was done by one of the bright young men behind the Boston Pipeworks.
This sort of research requires some expensive kit so not too much has been done yet. Naturally when Yamaha start churning out resin cast copies of Coynes and Egans. . . .
Bob
Its great that proper research is being done specifically for the Uilleann pipes and they are willing to share it. Pipemaker ,of course have loads of experience but conclusions based on experience are not always right. As Sam pointed out Peter Hunter is now undicided if the size of the chanter head makes a difference, this says to me that a conclusion would be based on opinion ,but opinions can be wrong.
Heres Michael Faraday's(one of the greatest scientists who ever lived) advice on experimentation.Just swap the word scientist to pipemaker.
"Faraday stressed that the scientific method demanded intellectual honesty. He worked to require scientists to submit their results for the critical appraisal of their colleagues to winnow out the personal or ‘observer-effects’ from objective, natural phenomena. Today this process is called peer review. He argued that scientists must always keep in mind that humanity makes all people, including scientists, to be active promoters of error due to our preconceptions. Faraday maintained that scientists need to understand that objectivity requires observers to be aware of the effects of emotions and desires on their observations and conclusions, lest they see the world more by the projections of their own hopes and fears than by reality.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

All this talk of "three" standing waves has got me confused -Help!

I'm not an expert but I read somewhere that a standing wave has two main components: the source wave and the return (reflective)wave. Is that right? So, if there is a standing wave in the chanter top and another in the chanter itself then that makes two of them, right?

Also, if there is a standing wave in there then I suppose it must have nodes and antinodes and all that stuff as well.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Bravo! Both to yourself and to Mr. Kennedy - clearly this set is in exactly the right hands. :-)

--Mick
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Very nice! Congratulations to the piper and his pipes. Thanks for sharing.
Phil Dale
soundcloud.com/philleann
"Those in power write the history, those who suffer write the songs"
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Yes, very nice!
brescianimichele

Post by brescianimichele »

Very good, both pipes and piper
Last edited by brescianimichele on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{|_________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||]
\\