Tone Hole Alignment & Flute Makers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tone Hole Alignment & Flute Makers

Post by Normski »

Hi all

I'm a beginner and at the moment I have an M&E keyless flute and there is a joint between the left and right hand tone holes that allows the two sections to be offset. I am in the early stages of considering buying another flute and I see that some flute makers eg Doyle have the tone holes in one section so the all the holes are aligned.

I'd be grateful for information on makers who make flutes with the joint between the sections and any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of the two designs or does it just come down to personal preference.

Thanks

normski
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tone Hole Alignment & Flute Makers

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Usually (but not always) the body in one section is used for Pratten style flutes, that have big bores and big holes. I like to have the flute body in 2 sections because I offset the left hand part to the outside, like Charles Nicholson used to, just not as extreme (picture from Terry McGee's website):

Most people however will have the holes straight in line and it won't matter to them if the body is in one or two pieces. If you roll it in rather than out, it's a good idea go adjust to in line holes...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've always wondered how many flutes died prematurely in the attempt to make that indentation in Nicholson's flute for his left hand...it's just so deep it must be very close to the bore.

Doyle makes very fine flutes, but don't go instrument hopping if you're too new. You're just going to sound like yourself for quite some time.

Eric
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Normski wrote:I'd be grateful for information on makers who make flutes with the joint between the sections and any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of the two designs or does it just come down to personal preference.
Normski, we could run a list of makers that make flutes with right and left hand sections versus the single piece heart section for you but I am afraid that may be misleading and a bit of a disservice to you.

There are some traditions in the design of certain types of flutes. Many Pratten-esque flutes will be made with a single heart section for the primary tone holes. Rudall-esque flutes may be traditionally made with separate hand sections. But there is no technical reason that a Pratten can't be made with a joint between the hands or a Rudall made with a single section body. There are many examples of both of those. Of course the methods and tooling that the makers employ has a very direct bearing on what they can and cannot do easily but many of the better makers will work with you to meet your needs.

Instead of looking at right/left hand sections you might be better served determining what type of flute you need/want to play first and then work with a maker of such flutes to get the body sections that are comfortable for you. And if you are requesting something not normally seen on that maker's flute, expect to pay a little extra.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm awaiting a new blackwood keyless flute from David O'Brien, who I met at a workshop in Ballyvourney this past April. http://traditionalirishflutes.com/

David describes this flute as 'Pratten-Style', because it has a single section for the six tone holes. He goes on to say that it has "smaller" bore and tone holes, which is consistent with the sample he had with him at the workshop. In fact, it was very much what I'd have tended to call 'Rudall-style', (though the design is actually based on the flutes of Brendan McMahon). So, you really do need to be careful about the labels, and play an example when you're able.

As for keeping on topic, I've played most of the flutes mentioned, and have owned several. I like delrin, (and own a Somers), but I like wood better. If I were starting out today, and on a limited budget, Casey's Folk Flute would be my choice.

Edited to say: Uh, well, maybe I'm on topic with two current discussions. But that's still my final answer!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

We were in class together and now I can't remember your name crookedtune :puppyeyes:
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

PM sent.

Cheers,
Charlie
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Feadoggie wrote:But there is no technical reason that a Pratten can't be made with a joint between the hands or a Rudall made with a single section body.
Wasn't the motivation for the single-piece midsection of the Pratten's Perfected to properly place one of the tone holes (G or G#?), which "needed" to go in the place where the joint between the hands also needs to go?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

chas wrote:Wasn't the motivation for the single-piece midsection of the Pratten's Perfected to properly place one of the tone holes (G or G#?), which "needed" to go in the place where the joint between the hands also needs to go?
That may well have been the case, Chas. Still I've seen enough Pratten's derived flutes from modern makers that have split hand sections that it should not be a deal breaking issue these days.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

More pieces also gives more opportunities for leaks. Many of the 1800's makers used up to 5 pieces to make what would be scraps into sellable instruments. It's economics, a long, clear billet costs a lot more than 5 little clear ones.

That said a good flute is a good flute whether its a 2 or 5 pieces.
Play Happy
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Normski wrote:Hi all

I'm a beginner and at the moment I have an M&E keyless flute and there is a joint between the left and right hand tone holes that allows the two sections to be offset. I am in the early stages of considering buying another flute and I see that some flute makers eg Doyle have the tone holes in one section so the all the holes are aligned.

I'd be grateful for information on makers who make flutes with the joint between the sections and any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of the two designs or does it just come down to personal preference.

Thanks

normski
Personally I like the split heart joint, since it gives me the option of turning out somewhat the lower half. I find that comfortable. But if I play a
standard Pratten, I get used to it almost instantly. The two piece set-up is perhaps somewhat easier to transport, as you don't need a large
compartment for the center joint.

One question you might consider is whether you want a flute that tends toward the Pratten or one that tends toward the Rudall. Odds are your
MandE is one of the latter. Of course there are other distinctions tween flutes; still, for me, I've come down on the side of the rudally flutes,
partly because I prefer their sound. Others, of course, favor the former. As mentioned the rudally tend tohave the two-piece center, the
prattenish the one piece--so that difference may sometimes accompany a more important difference.