Very Special Wilkes Flute for Sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
laridee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Very Special Wilkes Flute for Sale

Post by laridee »

This is my baby, but because I haven't the time to dedicate to it anymore, I want to sell it and get a Rudall style flute. This is a Pratten made by Chris Wilkes in the 1990s for Jean-Michel Veillon from whom I bought it in 2001. It's quite a machine and will make a worthy Irish flute player quite happy.
Chris Wilkes Flute - more photos

These recordings were made by Jean-Michel Veillon with this flute:
Ginley's No 1 / Ginley's No 2 / Gan Aim
Suite Plinn: Daou Don Simple E-Koun Yann Peron / An Dukardez / Aze
Ton Bale Porzh Bras Leskoed / Dans Fisel

...and these much lesser works were recorded my myself:
Mulqueeny's Hornpipe / The Road to Errogie
Gavotennoù: Dardoup / "Mas Macho" / Brammer kozh / Ar menez
jemtheflute

Re: Very Special Wilkes Flute for Sale

Post by jemtheflute »

It might help your sale if you stated what key this flute is in, gave a basic verbal description (timber, how many keys etc.) and either some idea (if not a direct statement) of price or how you prefer to be contacted to discuss that. You might also make a post in the Used Instrument Exchange.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Oh my!
I own a Wilkes, Rudall model, but I want more.....
Just if Ihad the money!
I have been listening Veillon recording "Er Pasker" during the last 3 weeks a lot of times. This CD is recorded mainly with this same flute. Terrific sound, terrific tone, terrific imagination, terrific musician.
S.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Nice flute, sounds good too. How much are you asking for the flute?
laridee

Post by laridee »

jemtheflute wrote:It might help your sale if you stated what key this flute is in, gave a basic verbal description (timber, how many keys etc.) and either some idea (if not a direct statement) of price or how you prefer to be contacted to discuss that. You might also make a post in the Used Instrument Exchange.
Thank you for your kind observations. You are a very, very considerate person!
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

laridee wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:It might help your sale if you stated what key this flute is in, gave a basic verbal description (timber, how many keys etc.) and either some idea (if not a direct statement) of price or how you prefer to be contacted to discuss that. You might also make a post in the Used Instrument Exchange.
Thank you for your kind observations. You are a very, very considerate person!
This actually made me laugh. Most amusing thing I've read all day. Thank you for either a virtuosic level of sarcasm, or a Brobdingnagian level of obliviousness.
Etruscan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Etruscan »

FascinatedWanderer wrote:This actually made me laugh. Most amusing thing I've read all day. Thank you for either a virtuosic level of sarcasm, or a Brobdingnagian level of obliviousness.
Come on... obviously it's a D flute, obviously it's a six keyed flute, obviously it's an expensive flute... and obviously it's a very special flute... do you need more??? I'm sure there are people around already making offers for that flute, without asking for more details...
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Etruscan wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:This actually made me laugh. Most amusing thing I've read all day. Thank you for either a virtuosic level of sarcasm, or a Brobdingnagian level of obliviousness.
Come on... obviously it's a D flute, obviously it's a six keyed flute, obviously it's an expensive flute... and obviously it's a very special flute... do you need more??? I'm sure there are people around already making offers for that flute, without asking for more details...
I think FascinatedWanderer's comment was less to weather-or-not Jem's advice was necessary and more to weather-or-not Jem's advice was appreciated.
The response to Jem's comment was pretty funny sounding (if it had a sound) but i don't think it's worth nibbling tails over.

Lovely flute.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

How odd. The OP's response to Jem didn't make me laugh at all. What it did do was make me think they are a bollocks. Join C&F, first post is to sell this flute. Ignore the UIE. Don't put a desired price - C&F isn't an auction site, last time I checked. Then, when an established C&F member gave them some friendly advice they flamed him. Bol-locks...

Of course, offering an 8 keyed Wilkes Pratten for sale is pretty much like offering booze to Oliver Reed. No doubt it'll generate considerable interest. The OP is more interested in selling the flute than in being nice, it seems.

m.d.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Whether the weather be fair or foul, I had a reason for asking about what key this flute is in, besides that being sensible basic info to provide for any sale offering........

In (I think) June 1998 I attended some free gigs in Cardiff associated with the European Summit held there that year. I picked Chris Wilkes up en route. Jean-Michel was over because he was participating in one of the concerts and he came to Chris's to collect an Eb flute Chris had just finished for him. I got to play both that and the 8-key D Wilkes flute he already had (had then had for a few years). Much more recently (maybe c3 years ago) J-M told me he had sold one of them/a Wilkes flute - I think, but am not certain he said the Eb. I also thought he said he still had the other one (the D?) and was using it between trying out assorted new Morvans & Poljezes (he jokes about playing them in for the makers!). So, seeing this sale, I was a little puzzled and I am trying to tie up what I know and clarify the bits I'm not certain of, as well as attempting to be helpful to the vendor.

I confess I had not (lack of time) perused the photoset linked in the OP when I wrote before - and I now see this is indeed a 6-keyer. Both the D and Eb flutes I saw in '98 were (SFAIR) full 8-keyers, but I'm not totally sure about the Eb on that point, nor whether it was Rudall or Pratten type. So unless this is a third Wilkes which J-M owned......

I believe the 8-key D Wilkes I am referring to and which I believe he still has is the one illustrated on J-M's website, which is a large-holed Rudall model:

One can see that this is not the flute on offer here.... and I have no recollection of "meeting" the one for sale.

.... And I think I have now solved the (to me) mystery - I've just checked the sleeve notes on Er Pasker - J-M had at that time both the D 8-key Rudall and a D Pratten from CW, and used both on that CD.

So, there we go. But I did have sound reason to wonder whether this might be the Eb.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
laridee

Post by laridee »

jemtheflute wrote:Whether the weather be fair or foul, I had a reason for asking about what key this flute is in, besides that being sensible basic info to provide for any sale offering........

In (I think) June 1998 I attended some free gigs in Cardiff associated with the European Summit held there that year. I picked Chris Wilkes up en route. Jean-Michel was over because he was participating in one of the concerts and he came to Chris's to collect an Eb flute Chris had just finished for him. I got to play both that and the 8-key D Wilkes flute he already had (had then had for a few years). Much more recently (maybe c3 years ago) J-M told me he had sold one of them/a Wilkes flute - I think, but am not certain he said the Eb. I also thought he said he still had the other one (the D?) and was using it between trying out assorted new Morvans & Poljezes (he jokes about playing them in for the makers!). So, seeing this sale, I was a little puzzled and I am trying to tie up what I know and clarify the bits I'm not certain of, as well as attempting to be helpful to the vendor.

I confess I had not (lack of time) perused the photoset linked in the OP when I wrote before - and I now see this is indeed a 6-keyer. Both the D and Eb flutes I saw in '98 were (SFAIR) full 8-keyers, but I'm not totally sure about the Eb on that point, nor whether it was Rudall or Pratten type. So unless this is a third Wilkes which J-M owned......

I believe the 8-key D Wilkes I am referring to and which I believe he still has is the one illustrated on J-M's website, which is a large-holed Rudall model:

One can see that this is not the flute on offer here.... and I have no recollection of "meeting" the one for sale.

.... And I think I have now solved the (to me) mystery - I've just checked the sleeve notes on Er Pasker - J-M had at that time both the D 8-key Rudall and a D Pratten from CW, and used both on that CD.

So, there we go. But I did have sound reason to wonder whether this might be the Eb.
Please congratulate yourself for acquitting yourself.
laridee

Post by laridee »

Etruscan wrote:
It's so nice to be understood. Thanks!
laridee

Post by laridee »

emmdee wrote:How odd. The OP's response to Jem didn't make me laugh at all. What it did do was make me think they are a bollocks. Join C&F, first post is to sell this flute. Ignore the UIE. Don't put a desired price - C&F isn't an auction site, last time I checked. Then, when an established C&F member gave them some friendly advice they flamed him. Bol-locks...

Of course, offering an 8 keyed Wilkes Pratten for sale is pretty much like offering booze to Oliver Reed. No doubt it'll generate considerable interest. The OP is more interested in selling the flute than in being nice, it seems.

m.d.
Now I remember why I don't read this forum anymore.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

:really: :really:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The difficulty, if I may say so, is that the internet obliterates nuance.
Jem's post was (I say this having read his posts for years) well meant, in fact.
He tends to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, but he is always well meant.

But of course it might not have read that way to a newcomer who doesn't
know Jem.

That's all that's happened here. A well meant post was read as not so well-meant,
the OP then responded on the basis of the latter reading, and we're off to
the races.

There is nothing going on here, truly.

We are all of us in this thread nicer than we appear--it's just an artifact of virtual 'reality.'

Do stay with us.
Last edited by jim stone on Thu May 09, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.