car/road tax

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

car/road tax

Post by rorybbellows »

I've heard different people call it different things,but the tax you pay at regular intervals to keep your car legally on the road.
So just for comparitive reasons and curiosity how much car tax do you have to pay ?

I just paid 145euro for three months for a 1800cc private saloon car here in Ireland. There is an incentive to pay 12months at a time which would be 514euro for the same car .A saving of 66euro which is not to be ignored but I never seem to have that more when my current tax is up.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: car/road tax

Post by rhulsey »

I drive a 2008 Honda CR-V, and the only direct cost here in East Tenneessee is the tag, which is $28/year.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Yeah, I think it depends on the individual state here in the US, but it tends to be you pay a small annual fee for a license plate/registration, a widely varying property tax to your county or state, and a per-gallon tax on gas (petrol). That's usually it as far as I know.

Wikipedia has a table of the fuel tax in each state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes ... ted_States
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

I drive 2005 Renault MeganeII 1600cc and this "liability insurance" is €143/year in Czech Republic. Without "no damage bonus" it would be €304/year.
The price grows with engine size (it is twice when engine is about 2300cc, if I remember correctly).

EDIT:
"Fuel tax"?
Here is "fuel tax" included in fuel price (about 50% of price - i.e. €0.7/liter. Approx $3.5/gal. This is just a tax).
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

West Virginia has personal property taxes. Each year, we pay between $100-$200. A brand new fancy car would be more. Airplanes and boats and other types of property require a personal property tax. Canoes don't because they don't have motors. I don't know about other non-motor boats.

People in border counties try to avoid this by registering their property out of state but sooner or later they get caught. There are rich people who fly their planes out of state on inventory day to avoid personal property taxes. Rich people have legal ways to not get caught.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Here in California, for our 2004 Mitsubishi Galant 3.8L V6:

Annual DMV fee is $118. This includes $46 plate/registration, $42 VLF (in lieu of tax), and $30 miscellaneous use fees. VLF is based on current vehicle value, and decreases yearly. Engine size does not factor into the fees.

Bi-annual smog/safety inspection adds around $50, or $25 per year.

Basic insurance (liability, damage) costs $775 per year.

With current fuel price around $4.00 per gallon ($1.06 per liter), the included fuel tax of $0.671/gallon is around 20%.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Mine is due at the end of the month. (Citroen C5 estate 2007 model)
Road Tax £176, (or $272 or 209 euros)

Insurance £404, (or $623 or 479 euros) - The insurance covers accident, legal protection costs, injury costs, guaranteed hire car in the case of an accident, no claims discount protection and breakdown and recovery cover within the UK.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:Here in California, for our 2004 Mitsubishi Galant 3.8L V6:

Annual DMV fee is $118. This includes $46 plate/registration, $42 VLF (in lieu of tax), and $30 miscellaneous use fees. VLF is based on current vehicle value, and decreases yearly. Engine size does not factor into the fees.

With current fuel price around $4.00 per gallon ($1.06 per liter), the included fuel tax of $0.671/gallon is around 20%.
The VLF portion is tax-deductible if you itemize expenses. Fuel price also includes sales tax. Of course, if the vehicle is used substantially for business-related travel, nearly everything is deductible, including the price of the vehicle (depreciated over time).
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

MTGuru wrote:...Basic insurance (liability, damage) costs $775 per year...
These insurances are voluntary or mandatory?
Because what is called as "liability insurance" here, that's mandatory. You can't drive without this "insurance" (it covers situations to repair involved car, not for offenders car. Money are taken from offenders "insurance". When both sides are offenders on accident, nobody get money. If you don't find an offender, you have nothing, just damaged car).
Common insurances (let say "real insurance"), if you want it, you have to pay extra.
Smog/safety inspection costs here about $48 each two years.
MTGuru wrote:Engine size does not factor into the fees....
...current fuel price around $4.00 per gallon
You're lucky man :-).
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

In North Carolina, our license/registration fee was separate from our vehicle tax. You paid a relatively small amount to register your car (I can't remember how much, off the top of my head, but it was minimal...something like $25). After about six months, you'd then get a vehicle tax bill in the mail, and that was quite a bit higher.

North Carolina was also interesting in that you didn't get your license plate/tag at the DMV (in fact, when I moved there and asked people where the DMV was, they didn't know what I was talking about!). You went to a tag store (which was typically located in a shopping mall) to get your license plate, or to pay your registration. You went to a different facility to get a driver's license.

They didn't do smog testing when I lived there (I believe they do now), but you did have to have an annual safety inspection, which usually cost around $25 at the time (14 years ago).

In California, when you register a newly purchased car for the first time, you also pay the sales tax (Which I think is around 10%...at least that's what it was for a newly purchased used car about seven years ago. I know because I bought my mother-in-law's car for $4000.00 and, when I registered it, I had to pay $400 in sales tax). If you buy the car from a dealer, the dealer handles that aspect of it, but if you buy from a private party, you have to declare the purchase price at the DMV and pay tax on that amount. In addition, if you bring in a car from out of state that doesn't have California emissions, you have to pay an additional emissions tax at the time of registration.

Your annual registration fee is also higher if you opt to have a specialty license plate (aka "vanity plate") instead of one with the standard combination of letters and numbers. How much higher depends on the type of plate you choose. Which reminds me...I need to look into having my vanity plate transferred from the old Lincoln to my new(er) Nissan!
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Here in Ireland its getting more expensive every year. Apart from my 580euro road tax my insurance is 285euro and introduced a few years ago you have to pay 55euro for a road worthy test (NCT national car test, like the MOT in the UK).My car failed first time because of a worn CV joint ,after having it fixed I paid another 28euro for the retest.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kmarty wrote:These insurances are voluntary or mandatory?
The liability part is mandatory, in our case amounting to around $300 per year. This is for what would be considered "standard" coverage limits. The minimum limits are less, and would cost less.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:Here in California, for our 2004 Mitsubishi Galant 3.8L V6:

Goodness, but that's all cheap!

Here's the UK prices, based on my, very ordinary, 1988cc Renault Laguna:-

Tax disc: £225
Basic insurance: approx. £250 - I pay about £380, which gets me 'fully comprehensive' but there's a £150 excess, so if I make a claim I have to pay the first £150
Fuel prices: approx. £1.34/litre for petrol and £1.38/litre for diesel, ie just over double the cost in the States!

:o
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Auto insurance costs might be higher in the U.S. due to high health care costs, and possibly more unlicensed & uninsured drivers. :really:
Petrol might be less because on average, we get 1/2 the vacation time. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Auto insurance costs might be higher in the U.S. due to high health care costs, and possibly more unlicensed & uninsured drivers. :really:
Petrol might be less because on average, we get 1/2 the vacation time. :)
Wha?? Really? How come I see you guys around the world on your 4 week breaks all the time then? I'm lucky to manage a fortnight.