Are you the only whistler you've ever met?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Have you ever met another whistle player?

Yes
56%
No
41%
I am unable to comment at this time.
3%

Total votes: 61

peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Shannon (my wife) plays whistle, has a lovely Parkhurst E-flat that is just about the sweetest whistle I've yet seen.

Well, then there's Sam McReynolds...we play together along with his dad and Paul pretty frequently. Sam rocks...I've learned some good tunes from him.

Also Basil Arrick who played with us when he lived in Texarkana, was a whistler and a pretty good one.

There's Larry and Terrie Henderson and their daughters who all play Sweetone whistles (at least to some degree.)

Also a girl named Chamille who at least has a whistle...but I think hers is more decoration than for music. (Another Sweetone...I gave it to her in exchange for some Italian coinage.)

So I know a few, and they are all Good People. :)

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think I've met about a dozen chiff & fipplers IRL. But I've met loads of non-c&f whistlers, too.
/Bloomfield
Turner

Post by Turner »

I met Bloomfield once, but he isnt aware of the fact

Iam the bloke that asked for the time in Potsdam platz Berlin Bloomie
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I've not met any in person, which is why I was so happy to stumble across C&F. :D At least I know there are people out there who really view the whistle as a legitimate musical instrument. If not for you folks, I'd still be playing to myself in my bedroom. But now I own a Low D and my church band wants me to join the group. Woo-hoooooo! :party:

So I'm thrilled you all are out there. ... you are out there, right? :puppyeyes: This isn't some elaborate internet hoax to make me look like a complete and total fool, is it? I mean, 'cause I'm really good at doing that on my own, so if this IS an internet hoax, well you can just stop. I mean, really. Sheesh. :roll: Cranberry, do I qualify as crazy now, or just paranoid? :poke:

Little John
------------------
Now on the run for excessive use of emoticons ... :lol:
Turner

Post by Turner »

If it any consolation littlejohngael I still play with my whistle in my bedroom somtimes!! :o
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Having been to a few whistle workshops, I've met several whistlers. There are also several here in town. I met Stevie J a couple of years ago in Toronto and I know Janice but she hasn't been around much. Where are ya, Janice?

Steve
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Turner wrote:If it any consolation littlejohngael I still play with my whistle in my bedroom somtimes!! :o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,

Little John
Sara

Post by Sara »

I've met Pat Monahan from Train who used to play the tinwhistle!

Er. . . I think that's it.
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pan

Post by Pan »

I´ve met Michael Copeland and Jim Rementer in London, very nice men.

"If it any consolation littlejohngael I still play with my whistle in my bedroom somtimes!! "

I sure hope you´r a woman :lol:

/Peter
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I met 4 other whistlers last fall at the "Lady of the Creek" workshop. :D

They are Wendy Morrison who taught the workshop. Marguerite who is the "Lady of the Creek", Byll, (Hi Byll) and some other guy from Maryland that I can't remember his name but he isn't on this forum that I know of. We had a great time. "M" said that she will be hosting another workshop this spring and that Wendy will be teaching it sooooo everyone be watching for info so you can meet other whistlers too! It is in Gettysburg Pa.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

I try not to meet people who don't play whistle.

Best, John
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

lilymaid wrote:
geek4music wrote:BTW, I like your avatar. I have a giant poster of that very picture hanging on a wall.
Thank you. You must have impeccable taste in posters. :)
I love that picture . . . John Waterhouse, an artist I discovered on a trip to a big indoor market. Saw "The Lady of Shalott" poster there, which I bought. Quite a captivating picture. I hung the poster on my bedroom door, but bought some lovely mounted pictures of other Waterhouse paintings. Orphilia, Desiny, and a section of The Shrine.

Meeting other whistlers is exciting . . . only had the chance at Bucks county folk music shop, where one of the saleswomen knew how to play. Other than that, don't get to meet whistlers. If I did, I'd pop from the sheer thrill.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Steven

Post by Steven »

littlejohngael wrote:do I qualify as crazy now, or just paranoid?
Well, maybe you wouldn't have to be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get you!

On topic, though, I know several other whistlers around this area, and a couple of folks who play flute, but I don't think any of them are on C&F.

:-)
Steven
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Until the recent workshop I attended, I was the one and only. My best friend plays woodwinds and had picked up a whistle a few times to play for church or something. but I don't count him. He's an outstanding musician but not a whistle player in the way we think of whisle playing. He can pick up a whistle and read any music you give him, but he's not into Irish Trad and doesn't know any tunes. But if he tried he'd be a heluva whistle player.