Uilleann pipers and the concertina

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Uilleann pipers and the concertina

Post by tommykleen »

Is there some sort of metaphysical connection between uilleann pipers and the concertina? I know quite a few uilleann pipers who, once they picked up a concertina, were hooked on it. What's that about? There must be more to it than location, location, location (trans: the lap).
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Uilleann pipers and the concertina

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

Maybe it's simply because of reliability: you can pick up the concertina and play it. I know a very good piper who plays his concertina alot when his pipes (aka reeds) are driving him crazy.
"Luck is important"
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

I've been playing concertina for a long time now. I love it! When I first heard Tommy McCarthy playing oneI thought, "if Tommy McCarthy can do it... then so am I!"And so it began. I searched one out, and was v. lucky to start on a Dickenson. Tommy was lucky to get his Jeffries when tinas were very affordable. I think it's easy to get hooked on because it works out of the box 99.9% of the time. If there is a problem, a good repairman, or if you learn a few things... can fix it. There's no mystery.

Now, to get something that is very playable, sounds great, has great reeds, and bellows... you're looking at anywhere from a 3yr to a 7 year wait, and over €4000 w/a. There is a far more reasonable wait for a Carroll concertina (2.5-3 listed on his site), w/the cost being around the same (5k+ in USD).

and so it goes.......
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Haha...what a combination! Hummmm...where have I seen this before? I like your sense of humor Tommy!

A while back, I was searching around the country (craigslist) for concertinas and was amazed at how many there were for sale in Wisconsin. Not good Anglos, but those square ones, expensive too. What's with all the tinas up there in the northern mid-west? Even Minnesota.

I find the Anglo concertina fascinating to play. I retuned mine so it works best for Irish tunes (I know I know--Noel, Niall, Caitlin, Edel and all the rest--but wait till you see what it can do that they can't!). It's a real light kind of joy to play...a much different kind of happiness than that which comes from the darker uilleann pipes. Even has some drones on it.

Padraig, I wager there is some mystery to the concertina...like why are some holes on the reedpan scalloped under the pads, inside the chamber...discuss later. You can find good ones around w/o waiting, there's a 1926 Wheatstone Anglo on eBay right now.

Jose...right on!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Colin Dipper or Paul Groff'd know more about that mystery stuff.....

Colin Dipper recently told me that we was proud he'd finally updated his workshop to the standards of the early 1900s!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Christ 4 grand gbp for a concertina? I prefer the sound of a whistle to be honest
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Considering a Copeland G whistle went on Ebay last week for $2550, I think concertinas are actually turning out to be good value for money!
My brain hurts

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Earlier I wrote:I find the Anglo concertina fascinating to play. I retuned mine so it works best for Irish tunes (I know I know--Noel, Niall, Caitlin, Edel and all the rest--but wait till you see what it can do that they can't!).
Finally got around to recording an easy jig which kind of demonstrates how retuning and switching reeds around a little works pretty good for Irish - for moi anyway, being a newby to this little creature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Inh8N8QXI
meuritt

Post by meuritt »

I've been playing concertina for more than 25 years, pipes for close to 20. For playing for dancers I do enjoy the concertina, but I picked up the pipes because I wanted a more expressive instrument, where the music doesn't sound like it is coming off a typewriter. Ever try to slide up into a note on the box? I also don't like airs from anyone's concertina. The better I become as a piper the less interest the 'tina has for me. As others have mentioned, being able to pick up and play w/o the tuning ritual is one of its strongest points. Curiously, before I ever even thought about playing pipes, it was pipe tunes that most attracted me to ITM

The concertinas from Wisconsin are called Chemnitzer and they are much larger than our little anglo's, the next size up concertina is the bandoneon of Brazil and Tango fame. I have a lovely old Pearl Queen, two reed, walnut with silver trim. It is possible to play it like an anglo, but there around about 60 extra, useless buttons, it is way to heavy to play quick Irish tunes on. I was told by a bandoneon player that you would probably play it the same way as the bandoneon, rest the middle on your leg and let the ends fall away with the help of gravity, open the air release and squeeze in fast and repeat, thus all the extra buttons, but, according to him, they are only played on the pull, bit the press. hearsay, I don't know if it's true, but make me an offer and you can buy my Pearl Queen and find out for yourself.

Mike
San Rafael, CA
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think it's the sustain/drone/chord thing; it feels like home. And concertina players can be so expressive, just like great pipers ... something in the internal rhythms of great playing on either instrument seem to sync up.

Pipes and concertina are neck-and-neck for me as far as true loves go. I'm forcing myself to focus on the pipes, but ... :sigh: I sure loves me some concertina. Also, I can listen to concertina all day, whereas I have a more limited capacity for listening to the pipes.

(sorry .... :tomato: )
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I dunno about 'tina for pipemakers. . .looks like mine took up golf instead. . . .However, one of my flutemakers has taken up the concertina. . . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
eskin

Post by eskin »

I enjoy playing both. I learned to play from Noel Hill, and there's a lot of piping in his style and what he teaches, really feels right to me.

It's also nice to play a small polyphonic instrument that doesn't care about our dry Santa Ana conditions here in SoCal.

I also like not having to worry about carrying them on planes when I travel and can always find a place to sit in a crowded session where the pipes may have been problematic.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

It's the free reeds! Great sound that appeals to me for many of the same reasons as the uilleann pipes. Great sustain if you want it, droning, regulator-style chords, and of course no huffing and puffing.

But folks who praise it for being able to "just pick it up and play" are ignoring the problems of tuning to other instruments - "not a problem, says the concertina player, you HAVE to tune to me!"

Also it is a black box in more ways than one. Home repairs are a perilous endeavor, and finding an experienced repair person is pretty tough! Is it possible that there are fewer concertina makers / repairers than uilleann pipes makers!? Commenting from limited experience here, if it were not for the Button Box, just 400 miles away, I'd be out of luck! I know of three pipe makers that are closer.

JVF
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...there are no free reeds.

T
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

tommykleen wrote:...there are no free reeds.

T
Choose yer weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXW0WGB ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykgV1Ms-hM
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa