Playing Fast

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Playing Fast

Post by jim stone »

I've been working on increasing speed, so that I can play in sessions.
The sessions I go to play quite fast, sometimes for the sheer joy of speed.

These three things seem to help.

1. Play very slow. So I take a metronome down to 50 bpm and play tunes
very slow. I also take the tune apart, find difficult passages, even two or three
note combinations, and play them dead slow.

2. Play fast. I need at some point to play outside my comfort zone, speed wise.
A bit like training to run long distances fast--you do most of your work slow
but some mileage is devoted to speed. The session itself provides the challenge
and, for a few days after the session, playing fast is easier.

3. Relax. I try always to relax more as speed increases. Any tension anywhere in my
body slows me down and makes me less accurate. Sometimes the tension is in my legs,
for instance, so I relax my legs as I play fast.

Anyone else have an stratagems?
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Playing Fast

Post by hans »

If you play by yourself, start a tune comfortably slow, or even slower, then gradually increase speed a bit with every repeat. At some point in this process you'll notice the difficult bits, as you start falling over them, or mess up the timing there. Ease off and carry on.
megapop

Post by megapop »

jim stone wrote:2. Play fast. I need at some point to play outside my comfort zone, speed wise.
I'd be careful with that - your fingers might memorise flubs you don't even realise when rushing through a tune at a speed you're not absolutely comfortable with. We tend to overhear our own mistakes while we're actually playing. IME the only way to practise playing fast is to play slow.... but as always, YMMV.
return null;
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I used to favor fast playing, believing that was how they all did it.....
...of course, that's not at all true.

but the maxim i've known all the years i've played (46 of them now....and willingly still counting)....
"if you can't play it slow, you can't play it fast"

of course, that doesn't get to your question, Jim.

if you must play fast -- to keep up with the others of course -- then the best advice I've given is to remove or pare your ornaments way down.
The difficulty players who can perform a tune fine at slow speed have at higher speeds is the inability or practice to put the same number and style of ornaments into the faster tune. They fumble, flub, even muck up tunes for the sake of the fancy stuff. Most fail.

Strip the tune to its raw basics when playing faster than you are comfortable playing. It uncomplicates your life and allows you to get in with the others.

But....when you start a set (and please do a set...not just one tune by itself.....it's better that way)....do play at your own speed. And insist the others follow pace. if they dont', simply put the flute down and walk to the bar for a drink.
your point will be well-made in no time.

good luck!

dm
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Well said :thumbsup: I found that if i can play a tune moderately fast with ornamentation i can usually play it quite fast with no ornamentation whatsoever and get the satisfaction of joining in without the "flub". I can never play extremely fast and i don't like to anyhow. Sorry to use terms like that but i have no formal music training.

It might have something to do with my personality in that i have trouble just jumping in but, as a relatively inexperienced player, i HAVE to play the tune at the faster pace it is played at my local session in order to get a feel for how it is played fast. I practice mostly as i should (slowly, increasing speed until i find a part that i have trouble with) but i need to play it fast also, with or without ornamentation.
I found it easiest to record the tune at the session, slow it down on with the appropriate app and then work up to the speed it was played at. That's my crummy strategem - rely on technology :lol:
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I find that jim's three stratagems help, and dm's "strip the tune to its raw basics".

One warning that I am going too fast is that the swing/lilt/whatever starts to get smoothed out inconsistently - fingers won't go fast enough to give some notes their proper value. I find that slowing down but playing with an exaggerated swing (for a reel, say) helps me get a better rhythm when I try going faster again.
woodfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by woodfluter »

Adding slightly to David's excellent advice about ornaments (and with the caveat that I play for dances and so don't get to choose to play at a slower tempo, even if I'm out of my comfort zone...)

With a new tune, I play it through slowly several times to get the "feel". Although the spirit of the thing might not emerge until it hits a certain tempo. But it's important to get an idea of how it should sound and feel under the fingers. Then increasing speed somewhat with each repetition until "sticking points" emerge. That's what I call them anyway, the places where it falls apart.

Then I take that phrase and isolate it. Work on it slowly again and again a ridiculous number of times, only picking up speed when it's very solid. The isolated part can be as small as need be - even just a few notes that happen to have awkward transitions. Take breaks - the mind has to absorb it. Come back and it's better than if you hammered away.

When that part fits well, notch the speed up and another sticking point emerges. Isolate that part and repeat as necessary. Sort of like woodworking when you're fitting parts together snugly.

One other thing that might not apply to sessions but does to dances - and this might get some flak, but for what it's worth. Some tunes are real "fiddle tunes" and take advantage of quick cross-bowings we can't do so well on flute. If you've just got to play those at the fiddler's tempo, look for the places you can simplify without clashing. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing but a blessing in disguise, as it leads to interesting musical blends and leaves you far less frantic.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

woodfluter wrote:One other thing that might not apply to sessions but does to dances - and this might get some flak, but for what it's worth. Some tunes are real "fiddle tunes" and take advantage of quick cross-bowings we can't do so well on flute. If you've just got to play those at the fiddler's tempo, look for the places you can simplify without clashing. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing but a blessing in disguise, as it leads to interesting musical blends and leaves you far less frantic.
Yup. Think like a flooter. NB the turn in On the Shores of Lough Gowna. The fiddlers love that low to high triplet. I find it a good place to take a breath and then cut the second low note to get it to 'pop' out. 'Course, YMMV.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

megapop wrote:
jim stone wrote:2. Play fast. I need at some point to play outside my comfort zone, speed wise.
I'd be careful with that - your fingers might memorise flubs you don't even realise when rushing through a tune at a speed you're not absolutely comfortable with. We tend to overhear our own mistakes while we're actually playing. IME the only way to practise playing fast is to play slow.... but as always, YMMV.
That is absolutely true, and not only with flute, but any instrument. I found this very true for myself, being someone who tends to want to speed up things and play them at a normal or faster pace from the start. It's definitely better to get it down slowly first.

Definitely push the speed bit by bit to get to the speed you want to play it at, but jumping into a high speed as soon as possible before perfecting the playing of the tune at a slow speed will definitely do exactly as megapop has stated. Very good advice.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Sirchronique wrote:
megapop wrote:
I'd be careful with that <snipped quote>.
That is absolutely true <snipped quote>.
I think a 'straw man' may be inadvertently being set up here. jim's first line makes it clear that playing more slowly is what he has been doing. Some of us don't "want to speed up things and play them at a normal or faster pace from the start". And some of us (speaking for myself here) are quite happy to miss out some fancy bits so that we (and others) can hear what other instruments are doing and help keep our timing tight with them on what we are playing.

I am not convinced about the relevance of the "fingers might memorise the flubs" bit. That can happen at any tempo and any tempo can be "too fast" if we can't hear that we are getting it wrong. And for session playing I am not sure that fingers memorising anything (even, say, the internal rhythm of a roll) helps to fit in with what the ears are hearing at the time.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Deja vù...

Oh, and I remember someone sharing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2HqKmzWk0
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

LorenzoFlute wrote:Deja vù...

Oh, and I remember someone sharing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2HqKmzWk0
Yep--it's just THAT easy. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Akiba wrote:
LorenzoFlute wrote:Oh, and I remember someone sharing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2HqKmzWk0
Keep in mind that the end result for poor Kaspar (the kid) is that he ends up dropping dead from the stress. :twisted:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, you know, I'm not going to play THAT fast.
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

MTGuru wrote:
Akiba wrote:
LorenzoFlute wrote:Oh, and I remember someone sharing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2HqKmzWk0
Keep in mind that the end result for poor Kaspar (the kid) is that he ends up dropping dead from the stress. :twisted:
You will be fine Jim, as long as no one tries to take away your magical red Olwell :wink: