What's on your bucket list?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

What's on your bucket list?

Post by benhall.1 »

One of my FB friends just used the term "bucket list" and I had to look it up, because I had no idea what it meant. Apparently, it's a list of things that you really want to do before you die, or, that is, before you "kick the bucket".

So, what's on yours? (I have nothing.)
Feadoggie

Re: What's on your bucket list?

Post by Feadoggie »

I used to have a bucket list. But my bucket got a hole in it and most of the items leaked out.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
maki

Post by maki »

Only one thing.
Sail across the ocean, alone, in a small boat.
Something like this;

Some addtional links for armchair small boat vovagers;
http://www.microcruising.com/famoussmallboats.htm
Last edited by maki on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Feadoggie wrote:I used to have a bucket list. But my bucket got a hole in it and most of the items leaked out.

Feadoggie
Awww! That is so sweet. It's quite perked me up. :)

Maki - you're obviously way too exciting a guy for the likes of me. :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good Lord - that's not a boat, that's a bar of soap. :o
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

There was a film called "The Bucket List". I expect you know that now. It made me wonder "why?". How have people lived their lives so that at the end if it they still have a list of things they always wanted to do? I've done all mine.
(They weren't that extravagant.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
maki

Post by maki »

Innocent Bystander wrote:There was a film called "The Bucket List". I expect you know that now. It made me wonder "why?". How have people lived their lives so that at the end if it they still have a list of things they always wanted to do? I've done all mine.
(They weren't that extravagant.)
I think there are a lot of people who spend thier youth going to school, then right into full
time work, then right into family, and never begin to persue any of the dreams they once had.
Its the stuff of mid life crisis.
That wasn't my path, but I understand its common.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

On the one hand, my bucket list is based on winning the lottery so that I can live the livestyle to which I could become accostomed. In that case, doing a world tour by yacht, hot air balloon, train, chauffered limosine, and any other safe means that does not require me to drive is my bucket list.

On the other hand, once I retire and have no daily responsibilities, there are two things that I would like to do.
1. I am going to do a lot of hippie protesting by laying down on highways with adequate bedding and play a bamboo flute until the rights of the disenfranchised people are restored.
2. If I go totally over the deep end, I will get in my canoe and take the Kanawha, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. I may go futher. I hope that at the time I have a dog that would enjoy the adventure. Now that I have a cell phone, that should make things easier.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

In my early 60's, I refuse to make such a list. I used to have an informal idea of tons of things I'd like to do someday, but by now it would be totally unrealistic to expect to do more than a few of them. To quote my dear departed Dad, "I'm a lot closer to where I'm going than where I came from". Add to that the factors of expense and free time and I've reconciled myself to the fact that I most probably never will hike to Machu Pichu, tour Australia or Japan, play a recorder concerto with a symphony orchestra, etc.
On the other hand, in my former marriage I never expected to have kids but now, thanks to my amazing wife, I have two wonderful (step)kids and a totally unexpected grandson. I have indeed done some of the things I dreamt of in past years, including walking on the Great Wall of China and climbing the pyramid at Chichen Itza. Charlene and I have taken some truly amazing trips (with more in the planning stage), largely thanks to my whistle making which was due in large part to Chiff and Fipple. That same endeavor has brought me friendships with people literally around the world.
I guess my point is that I'd rather concentrate on the things that I already have done than the ones I'd like to, but probably won't.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

I think my bucket list consists of a constantly changing list of instruments I would like to someday become decent at playing. And living in or up against a forest. That's about as far as my life goals go.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
chas

Post by chas »

I'm pretty much with Koko. The biggie is that I'd really really like to learn the harp.

My other is I'd like to become competent at making flutes. I'd also like to do another cross-country drive.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:The biggie is that I'd really really like to learn the harp.
Can't that one wait? :lol:
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:The biggie is that I'd really really like to learn the harp.
Can't that one wait? :lol:
I'd been kinda thinking that I'd be going to the place where you learn accordion.

Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

'Sfunny. I was actually thinking of that one when I posted. Great minds. :)
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

And just down Hell's hallway are a couple of guys playing "Danny Boy" on these... !!! :P

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50299&hilit=miniature+whistle
(This is a pic from MTGuru. From 2007. It made a big impression on me. )
chas wrote: I'd also like to do another cross-country drive.
Many items on my bucket list are of the "try this again now that I know more" variety. Ex. about 10 years ago I composed some music ---- and after a year of edits and talks with my choir director, we actually performed it at our church. I was in charge of organizing / rehearsing the soloists, but didn't have a clue how to do that. People didn't get notes right in rehearsals and I was too timid to correct them. The guitar player didn't show up to any of the rehearsals and then came to the concert expecting to play. And I let him. The concert was excruciatingly painful (for me) -- although -- no one else knew what it was supposed to sound like so it didn't bother them at all!!! :lol: Anyway, bucket list, compose something, and then take charge so that the end result was closer to the intention.

Another do-over --I traveled to Brazil back before the kid was born. We spent 3 weeks there, visiting 3 different friends -- grad students from Brazil who had finished their PhDs and returned home. A week in each city! Fascinating but overwhelming. Just getting used to the different accents was crazy (comparable to going from New York to Atlanta). On the bucket list is to visit Brazil again -- and stay longer -- in one place.

Finally -- would like to hand-raise some of these
Estrilda troglodytes, Red Eared Waxbill
I had some about 20 yrs ago but didn't have enough room to keep them really happy. They nested and incubated, then abandoned the nest :cry: Every time I hand-raise a different species it's like getting to know a different person. Those tiny guys are like someone I made an acquaintance with, but want to know much better.

OTOH -- if my emu eggs hatch -- that's a wild and crazy thing it didn't even occur to me to put on the bucket list!!!