The Beak

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

The Beak

Post by hans »

What is your favourite whistle beak shape?

Beaks vary a lot in shape. The beak's underside can go from a straight cut at say 45 degrees, through various types of concave roundness, with varying amount of beak "depth" one can push beyond the outer edge of one's lips, to perhaps really longish and straight beak shape. To say nothing of whistles without a beak like those found in Bulgaria, where the window is on the underside. The top of the beak can vary as well, from flat to round etc.

When I look at my whistles made through the last four years, I notice that I've shaped the beak's underside progressively more and more concave, as my technique of cutting has improved. So I clearly like a well rounded underside, in shape of a concave cylinder. As for the top side: I never had a chance to experiment with it, as the curved windway and the tubular head design meant that the beak top is arched and can't be any different.
MTGuru

Re: The Beak

Post by MTGuru »

I guess I'm not fussy about the shape. As long as there's no sharp ridge against the lower lip when tilting the whistle down toward the vertical. And that's more a matter of the adequate length of the cutout than the exact shape.

Actually, the Balkan-type inverted fipple is comfortable in that regard, with the convex tube against the lower lip. Other whistles can give a similar feel by turning the head 180 degrees. That's also an easy way to experience what a non-convex top of the beak feels like (it feels a bit odd at first). :-)

The only beak shape I've ever seen a real problem with is Guido Gonzato's original design. He was cutting a straight diagonal section from the top edge of the whistle's "cylinder". The result was a rounded and very sharp beak edge which was actually quite dangerous as an accidental stabbing hazard. On my advice, he began blunting and smoothing the tip of the beak, which solved the problem.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I like the curved underside. The ones that are cut straight at a 45 degree angle don't rest quite as comfortably on your lip, although I have owned some whistles like this and got used to them pretty quickly. I like the Chieftain V3 beak the most, I guess. My Goldies are a little sharp on the edges due to the squared off design. That doesn't stop them from being my favorites...
Nathaniel James Dowell
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Fairly flat easy to seal with the lips without having to do a death clench :D
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

Jleo Fipple wrote: Image
Slightly off topic but that is an interesting modification to the red sound blade. What did you rebuild it with?
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Brent Lyons wrote:
Jleo Fipple wrote: Image
Slightly off topic but that is an interesting modification to the red sound blade. What did you rebuild it with?
Brent,

I grabbed the image from a wiki page and cropped it to suit my purpose though I have and enjoy both Clarke and Generation whistles these where much better photos of the fipples than I could have provided here's the link to the wiki you may find an answer to your question there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Brent Lyons wrote:Slightly off topic but that is an interesting modification to the red sound blade. What did you rebuild it with?
Brent, that appears to be a Freeman tweaked Generation whistle head. Maybe a Gen D, by the looks, next to what looks like a Sweetone.

As for the original topic, there are only a few whistle beaks that I don't seem to care for. The Clarke original is one I don't care for. I believe I offered the same observation as MTGuru to Guido Gonzato. The tent stake design doesn't feel right. And for similar reasons I have not bonded with the beak on some Abell whistles. The Susato L series mouthpiece is larger than it needs to be but I still have had no issues when playing them.

This is a nice looking one.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I like the beaks that burkes have the best. Really comfortable, and doesn't hurt my bottom teeth like goldies did, for some reason. Just the metal pushing down on my lower lip slightly, which then pushes into my teeth, would cause those lower teeth to feel uncomfortable.

To me, the burkes have the most comfortable mouthpiece, and many other whistles have something very similar which I like, such as the sindt. Also, this type of mouthpiece does not cause excessive drooling, for me.

While I love my MK, it makes me drool constantly, and I think it's from the beak. That's a very strange shape , and I don't like it much.

Especially in the low whistles, I think the burke mouthpiece really is the best option. Low burkes feel more comfortable than any other low whistle, in my opinion.
Last edited by Sirchronique on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'm not that picky about this either, thought if forced to choose I'd favor the Copeland. But I have to say that your existing mouthpiece, at least on the one you made for me, is pretty comfortable and hard to criticize Hans. I'd call it a feature.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Beaks of high D whistles I got here:
Left to right: Generation, Soodlum, Dixon, Susato, Reyburn, Overton, Somers, Bracker, Burke.

Maybe you spotted it: the Generation is actually a C. But near enough in size.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Beak - Patrick O'Riordan High D - looks pretty comfortable

Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

Not to derail again but my thanks to all who replied! :thumbsup:
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Brent Lyons wrote:Not to derail again but my thanks to all who replied! :thumbsup:
And not to derail, either, but that avatar is adorable!! :love:
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
hans

Post by hans »

Jan >^..^< wrote:
Brent Lyons wrote:Not to derail again but my thanks to all who replied! :thumbsup:
And not to derail either, but be careful when the cat adores the mouse!
And on topic: the avatar illustrates a common problem with beaks: they can get gnawed, especially longer thin beaks, like on Generations. My old plastic beaked whistles all show signs of teeth abuse. Is it a teenage thing?
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

hans wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:
And not to derail either, but be careful when the cat adores the mouse!
And on topic: the avatar illustrates a common problem with beaks: they can get gnawed, especially longer thin beaks, like on Generations. My old plastic beaked whistles all show signs of teeth abuse. Is it a teenage thing?
:lol: :lol:

Hate to tell you this, but the cat REALLY loves your avatar!! :P

And speaking of beaks, your avatar has a nice one! :D
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine