The Trad in Japan

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Sakutama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Trad in Japan

Post by Sakutama »

Hello everyone!

I just joined up. I'm from America but I live in Japan. I love traditional Irish music, I've been thinking of taking up the Tin Whistle to get started playing some myself. I have a little music experience with the Viola that hopefull will help.

I know there's Irish music in Japan, but I honestly don't know where to start looking to make connections. I live near Tokyo. I'm nothing near a professional musician, but I would love to hear and someday play the trad here in Japan to share with others. My Japanese is still pretty minimal, although its getting better, so that limits my connecting making quite a bit!

Thanks in advanced for any tips or advice! I'm thinking of getting a Feadog, ordering via the Internet if the Irish shop I found doesn't have it. I know they have Waltons but I'd really a Feadog.
Cathy Wilde

Re: The Trad in Japan

Post by Cathy Wilde »

There are some TERRIFIC Irish musicians in Japan. There's a fellow named Hatao who used to post some on this board, and he's got some posts on you tube, too. Not sure what part of Japan he's in, but I get the impression he's pretty hip to the network there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ZM4lt3sZY

There's also a gorgeous piper named Makoto Nakatsui, but he's in Sapporo. Again, however, he might be able to connect you. I think there's a clip or two of him on YouTube too, so you might be able to contact him through a note there.

Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

One more guy here http://irish.cocolog-nifty.com/flute_concertina/
Know nothing about him exept what he writes in his blog about his instruments.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

john

Post by john »

http://claddaghrecords.com/WWW/catalog/ ... ts_id=2350

great fiddle player- don't know where he is now
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

And don't forget those old Japanese Trad standards, "Sake In The Jar", "Yakamura, I Hardly Knew Ya", "The Road To Tokyo", "The Humours Of Osaka", and "The Hiroshima Hornpipe" : :D

Sayonara,
Cayden-san
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Brus

Post by Brus »

Cayden wrote:And don't forget those old Japanese Trad standards, "Sake In The Jar", "Yakamura, I Hardly Knew Ya", "The Road To Tokyo", "The Humours Of Osaka", and "The Hiroshima Hornpipe" : :D

Sayonara,
Cayden-san
The Wind That Shakes the Bonsai?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Brus wrote:
Cayden wrote:And don't forget those old Japanese Trad standards, "Sake In The Jar", "Yakamura, I Hardly Knew Ya", "The Road To Tokyo", "The Humours Of Osaka", and "The Hiroshima Hornpipe" : :D

Sayonara,
Cayden-san
The Wind That Shakes the Bonsai?
Brus,

Arigato for the laugh and the Sake spit-take. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!