Here's where I am. How do I get better?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AbbyR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Here's where I am. How do I get better?

Post by AbbyR »

I've been playing about three weeks now, and I am totally hooked. I love the whistle, I love playing, I even like practicing. I've worked my way through lesson 10 in the Bill Ochs book, and can play that far, with some stuttering, along with the CD. I've also found several songs on the net that I like playing and that sound fairly good, so I do those for fun. (Gypsy Rover, Be Thou My Vision, The Parting Glass, The Butcher Boy, All Through the Night, Amazing Grace, The Wild Mountain Thyme.)

So, where to next? I know I need to work on my higher notes so I can consistently get them, and rhythm has always been a problem for me, so I'll continue to work on that. I already read music. But do I need a teacher? Where do I find one in Arkansas? I suppose I'll just work my way through the tunes in the Ochs book, and keep working on the stutters, the high notes, and the speed. Am I doing myself any good by just playing the songs above that I can do easily? I do enjoy playing something and knowing that it really does sound right. But what do I need to do to make good, consistent progress? I want to be a GOOD tin whistle player, not just a beginner. Oh, I'm also listening to Joanie Madden (in awe.)

Anyway, I want to thank you all for the plethora of great information here. I've spent ages reading today.

Abby
Abby in Arkansas, always longing for Ireland and the mountains of Virginia
Sky67

Re: Here's where I am. How do I get better?

Post by Sky67 »

I am in a similar situation. I went ahead and signed up for online instruction at http://blaynechastain.com/i-teach/home

I must say that I've enjoyed the lessons. Blayne has compiled a very comprehensive course in the Irish Whistle and Irish Flute. The lessons are mostly videos, he plays the tunes at speed and has slow instructional videos to get you up to speed on the tunes. He covers basics as well as advanced whistle techniques.

I've taken guitar lessons in person that were nearly 5 or 6 times the price of what I'm paying now, and for the monthly price I can't imagine a better deal. The instruction 'feels' like it's one on one. He does a great job in front of the camera.

Just a thought.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

a teacher or mentor is the 'traditional way' to learn almost any style of music and it works well

recording yourself and listening is very good (if sometimes discouraging) - the thing is that is difficult to play and listen to yourself critically, in fact I think this may be one of the secrets to playing well, hearing what you are playing (in real time) rather than what you think you are playing.

The other helpful hint that is most important that many if not most do not follow is to realize that if you try to push yourself to far (in particular playing too fast - that is faster than you can play properly) you are practicing mistakes and if you practice mistakes you will perform them. Of course you have to push your boundaries but you must spend as much of your playing time playing 'correctly' as possible

And hopefully it goes without saying that you need to listen to others playing (that you like, or that are respected players) and try to emulate their playing - once you are good you can develop your own sound, which will probably happen naturally.

So the short answer to: "How do I get better?" is:

Listen, listen, listen

to yourself
to others playing
to others describing your playing (a teacher or mentor)
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

AbbyR, I just finished a pennywhistle workshop with Kathleen Conneely and highly recommend Kathleen, or another teacher/mentor for your whistle progress. Find a teacher in your local area. The books, DVDs, YouTube, can only do so much, but, it's the teacher who can develop your play, guiding you with the proper techniques and teaching the subtleties of the instrument. The teacher can also point out the mistakes as well. Good techniques developed will far outway the cost of a teacher. Online Skype lessons is another option. As others here have said, "listen, listen, listen..." then practice, practice, practice. :)

Good luck with your pennywhistle! :thumbsup:

BTW, Kathleen is teaching at the Swannanoa Gathering 2013
http://www.swangathering.com/catalog/cl/staff.html
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

You are incredibly lucky to be learning a new instrument now because there has never before been so much help freely available as you can find online.

Youtube is your best friend - look out for trad lessons on there, particularly Ryan Dunns - I reckon everyone has learnt something from him.

It can never replace getting to some real lessons but my goodness, you can learn so much that would have been very difficult even 15 years ago. And when you get to the lessons, you will be even more prepared to get the best from them.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Youtube is your best friend
It can be, if you can distinguish between the genuine and good players and the clueless that will put you on the wrong foot without you (or them) realising it. Anything goes on youtube.
My brain hurts

Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
It can be, if you can distinguish between the genuine and good players and the clueless that will put you on the wrong foot without you (or them) realising it. Anything goes on youtube.
Any hints on the good ones to view?
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

ytliek wrote:AbbyR, I just finished a pennywhistle workshop with Kathleen Conneely and highly recommend Kathleen, or another teacher/mentor for your whistle progress. Find a teacher in your local area. The books, DVDs, YouTube, can only do so much, but, it's the teacher who can develop your play, guiding you with the proper techniques and teaching the subtleties of the instrument. The teacher can also point out the mistakes as well. Good techniques developed will far outway the cost of a teacher. Online Skype lessons is another option. As others here have said, "listen, listen, listen..." then practice, practice, practice. :)

Good luck with your pennywhistle! :thumbsup:

BTW, Kathleen is teaching at the Swannanoa Gathering 2013
http://www.swangathering.com/catalog/cl/staff.html
No doubt, sound advice, to find a competent teacher in your area! So many have progressed more quickly and with more ease with a good teacher to help them though the rough spots, and to a greater understanding of the music. It seems the best way, if you are a good student. Alas, I am not, but it should be your first avenue of pursuit, I would think.

Books would be second, along with much listening.
~~~~
Barry
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Jan >^..^< wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:
Any hints on the good ones to view?
like I said, Ryan Dunns.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Dear Abby,
"...and I am totally hooked. I love the whistle, I love playing, I even like practicing..."

...another musician to play with or an appreciative audience. In your search for the perfect obsession all obsessions will dwindle and die without someone to share them with. Just don't pick a perfectionist as a partner, or a professional performer, or someone with perfect pitch.

Pick people who love people more than their own performance.

...quality not quantity . Find a favorite and polish it. Refine a few.

I just wish I had followed all this great advise!

Whistles I love, playing I like, practicing I dislike.

A great musician once said ” Practicing spoils creativity”
Don't listen to him! I did and it has gotten me nowhere with my whistle playing.

I can run scales and tune a whistle and hear when it's right and appreciate good playing and listen a lot and play a lot of tunes poorly and a few reasonable tolerable but none like I would love to. I'm satisfied yet still unsatisfied.
Strange, the magic of the penny whistle.
Mack

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

AbbyR wrote:I want to be a GOOD tin whistle player, not just a beginner.
Practice is the best way. Listening and practice. I spent a lot of time reading and that didn't help my playing that much.
AbbyR

Post by AbbyR »

I'm listening a lot, playing a lot, and loving it. I'm getting frustrated when I can't fix problems, so I think I'll head over the teacher/student board to post for any teachers in southeast or central Arkansas. I'd just like to know how to fix what I know I'm doing wrong, rather than the rather ineffective trial and error approach.
I've played my way through the lessons in the Ochs book, and am now working on some of the tunes. I also got Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes, and am muddling around in the beginner section. I've ordered the book of airs, too.
So now i'm off to start memorizing tunes and follow all the other excellent advice I've gotten here - and I'm off to find a teacher.
One odd thing - I find myself losing my place in the written music, but still playing the right notes - so I suppose I really am learning to play by ear. Sort of.

Again, thanks. You folks are great.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Any success finding a teacher Abby?
catunderfoot

Post by catunderfoot »

Abby, I tried emailing you but I'll say it here too.

I'm in central arkansas. Although I've owned whistles (clarke) for 20 years, I've only recently decided to start playing in earnest. I'm a musician of over 29 years playing guitar and piano mainly but I have history with accordion, ukulele and recording experience.

I found the Arkansas Celtic Music Society on Facebook. I sent them a message and they told me they have open sessions at Hibernia Irish Pub in Little Rock.

1st and 3rd Sundays
2nd and 4th Mondays (7-9pm)

I'll be attending the next monday one with my wife. Maybe we'll see you there!

Take care and keep on playing!
Patrick
AbbyR

Post by AbbyR »

ytliek wrote:Any success finding a teacher Abby?
Not yet, but I'm about to post on an Arkansas Celtic music Facebook pages, so we'll see how that goes. I'm still enjoying it very much.