Need suggestions for good instrumental whistle music!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jan >^..^<
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Need suggestions for good instrumental whistle music!

Post by Jan >^..^< »

OK, I know we have the whistle recordings sticky, but there are thousands there (OK, that might be a slight exaggeration :P ) , and I don't care much for vocals when I'm listening to most music. So, I need suggestions of good whistle music that doesn't have vocals on them.

Thanks! :)
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
Steve Bliven

Re: Need suggestions for good instrumental whistle music!

Post by Steve Bliven »

Either of the Mary Bergin recordings, Kathleen Conneely's recent CD, Sean Potts "Number 6", Sean Ryan "Take the Air", Brid O'Donohue's recordings, "Totally Traditional Tin Whistles", any of Micho Russell's recordings should get you going. Nary a human voice on any of these.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Depends on your preferred musical tastes.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you order it now, you'll get it by Monday.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Review of recording here. Ten years and counting...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Steve Bliven wrote:Either of the Mary Bergin recordings, Kathleen Conneely's recent CD, Sean Potts "Number 6", Sean Ryan "Take the Air", Brid O'Donohue's recordings, "Totally Traditional Tin Whistles", any of Micho Russell's recordings should get you going. Nary a human voice on any of these.

Best wishes.

Steve
THANKS! :D

Now, could you explain the other two posts - the one with the whistles and bananas and that weird andriod bug?! :o
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I am sure that will all become clear soon.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

There's a lot of good stuff on youtube too. Try here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49647&start=0

Generally best avoiding self postings for now....
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Either of the Mary Bergin recordings, Kathleen Conneely's recent CD, Sean Potts "Number 6", Sean Ryan "Take the Air", Brid O'Donohue's recordings, "Totally Traditional Tin Whistles", any of Micho Russell's recordings should get you going. Nary a human voice on any of these.
Probably add the Potts/Moloney one to that, the new Noreen O'Sullivan has some nice tunes on it too. The CDs that go with Geraldine Cotter's tutor/collection should do well (I don't know them but I can imagine what they'd be like). Donncha O Briain of course and whatever else takes your fancy, recommendations are leaning heavily towards the trad Irish so far (which may not be what you fancy).

No harm reading Bro Steve's whistle pages while you're waiting for the orders to arrive.
My brain hurts

Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Probably add the Potts/Moloney one to that, the new Noreen O'Sullivan has some nice tunes on it too. The CDs that go with Geraldine Cotter's tutor/collection should do well (I don't know them but I can imagine what they'd be like). Donncha O Briain of course and whatever else takes your fancy, recommendations are leaning heavily towards the trad Irish so far (which may not be what you fancy).

No harm reading Bro Steve's whistle pages while you're waiting for the orders to arrive.
Thanks! I'll check out Brother Steve's stuff. Since you mentioned Geraldine Cotter, I saw her book/CD combo and wondered if it might be helpful. I have the Bill Ochs book.

Also, can you suggest any non-trad music? I would like to explore my options.

AND, do I have to stick to one type or another? I know some types of music can impact your playing of others.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Jan >^..^< wrote:

AND, do I have to stick to one type or another? I know some types of music can impact your playing of others.
It's up to yourself what you want to play, you may find it will take a bit of dedication to play traditional Irish well.

As for non trad, I'll leave that up to others to recommend. You could try this, not even listed in the Whislte recordings list so who knows:

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

bogman wrote:There's a lot of good stuff on youtube too. Try here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49647&start=0

Generally best avoiding self postings for now....
Wow! Thanks! :D

(And thanks for not yelling at me since there was sticky on this that I didn't think to look at. I figured it was all self-posters.)
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:

It's up to yourself what you want to play, you may find it will take a bit of dedication to play traditional Irish well.

As for non trad, I'll leave that up to others to recommend. You could try this, not even listed in the Whislte recordings list so who knows:

OK, thanks!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jan >^..^< wrote:Also, can you suggest any non-trad music? I would like to explore my options.

You can play any music you want on a whistle. You might want to take a look through this recent thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91792
You'll find Mr. McNally (good player!) and others mentioned in that thread. Maybe you could look at it after Monday. :o

Another good "on the edge of trad" place to start would be any of Joanie Madden's solo CD's - Whistle on the Wind and Song of the Irish Whistle I and II.

I would also like to offer up to you the search facility available at the top of the page. It works. The wisdom of the ages is contained in previous threads. A quick search might answer a lot of the questions you have asked recently. We're here as a backup. But you certainly have upped the activity on the board lately. :)

Feadoggie
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Feadoggie wrote:You can play any music you want on a whistle. You might want to take a look through this recent thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91792
You'll find Mr. McNally (good player!) and others mentioned in that thread. Maybe you could look at it after Monday. :o

Another good "on the edge of trad" place to start would be any of Joanie Madden's solo CD's - Whistle on the Wind and Song of the Irish Whistle I and II.

I would also like to offer up to you the search facility available at the top of the page. It works. The wisdom of the ages is contained in previous threads. A quick search might answer a lot of the questions you have asked recently. We're here as a backup. But you certainly have upped the activity on the board lately. :)

Feadoggie
Just placed an Amazon order for a used/like new copy of the McNally CD. My copy of Joanie Madden's Song of the Irish Whistle 1 was ordered the other day and should be arriving soon.

I tried the search function and didn't find what I needed but I will try again.

But, isn't increased board activity a good thing? :P :D