OT: Surrounded by Saras (and loving it)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Surrounded by Saras (and loving it)

Post by Martin Milner »

There are three Sara's I know on this board - Sara, Soineanta and Sunnywindo.

Yesterday out of the blue an old friend Sara who has been travelling round the world for the last two years dropped in to see me at work - the first day she was back in London.

To the four Saras, thank you for being the wonderfully open, friendly & enthusiastic people you are.

If I ever have the good fortune to have a daughter of my own, Sara is definitely on the list of possible names, and maybe some of your influence will rub off!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Ah, yes...The Sarah in my life is my beloved 7 year-old daughter. It is a wonder for a 57 year old guy to be so blessed. Sarah means 'laughing princess', and she is...

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Bloomfield

Re: OT: Surrounded by Saras (and loving it)

Post by Bloomfield »

Martin Milner wrote:...

If I ever have the good fortune to have a daughter of my own, Sara is definitely on the list of possible names, and maybe some of your influence will rub off!
Fat chance, mate. :P
Last edited by Bloomfield on Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Perhaps Martin is inversely parthenogenic. :lol: Or something.

Best,
N

*edited because N don't read things*
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDSarah

Re: OT: Surrounded by Saras (and loving it)

Post by HDSarah »

Martin Milner wrote:There are three Sara's I know on this board - Sara, Soineanta and Sunnywindo.
If you count those of us with a silent "h" there are probably lots more.

Sarah
Motto: you never know when you might need an extra "h" :)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Sara

Post by Sara »

:) :)
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Now how did I miss this thread until now? My name's right in it. :)
I've always actually kinda disliked my name, just because it's so very common. And because it seems to be the general belief of the unenlightened that there is no such thing as spelling Sara WITHOUT an H. Just today, the lady at Sam Ash asked my name. I spelled it out just so there would be no dispute. When I got in my car and looked at the receipt, guess what: SARAH! A lifelong cross I must bear. Siiiiigh.
My motto: H's, like wit and poise, are superfluous. Who needs em?! ;)
If I ever have a daughter I'll name her Larken or something purty like that. I may have to stick in Sara as her middle name to keep it in the family, though. (Aunt, grandmother, probably more)
Have a great day all!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Sara

Post by Sara »

Soineanta wrote:Now how did I miss this thread until now? My name's right in it. :)
I've always actually kinda disliked my name, just because it's so very common. And because it seems to be the general belief of the unenlightened that there is no such thing as spelling Sara WITHOUT an H. Just today, the lady at Sam Ash asked my name. I spelled it out just so there would be no dispute. When I got in my car and looked at the receipt, guess what: SARAH! A lifelong cross I must bear. Siiiiigh.

I like my name, because it isn't spelled with an H. And it's kinda cool having a Fleetwood Mac song with your name as the title! :) But I do know what you mean about no one spelling Sara without an H. Almost everyone spells my name incorrectly. . . oh, that's a pet peeve of mine. . . . but, what are ya going to do? :)

Peace be the journey,
Sara

Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Mmmmmm.... A Sara thread! Image I agree with Sara and um, Sara on the name thing. There are sooo many Sara's and Sarah's around. I graduated in a class with three other Sara(h)s. Go into a store and hear someone say "Hey Sara!" and chances are very high they're calling another Sara. And people nearly always spell my name with an "h"... I don't bother about it anymore.

Maybe that's why I like uncommon names so much now. Not that I'd ever be in a hurry to change my name of course... I like "Sara" well enough. :) It may be common, but it's a good name.

As for me being a good influence... ummmmm.... ;)

Image Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

all the Saras wrote: people nearly always spell my name with an "h"...
People are always spelling mine WITHOUT the h! :lol: One time someone was writing down my name, and I said "Sarah, with an h" and he looked quizzical and then wrote "Shara"!

I think that no matter what, people will always get names wrong. I usually just ignore it, too.

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

People are always spelling mine WITHOUT the h!
The madness of humanity! Maybe all Sara's and Sarah's should just walk around with their names hung on signs around their necks. Oi!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Sara

Post by Sara »

One time someone was writing down my name, and I said "Sarah, with an h" and he looked quizzical and then wrote "Shara"!

Sarah
LOL! :lol:

serpent

treacle

Post by serpent »

While I love the name Sara(h), get three or four of 'em together, and the Sweetness & Light is like wading through treacle! :roll:
:P :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Caj

Post by Caj »

Soineanta wrote: I've always actually kinda disliked my name, just because it's so very common.

At least your name doesn't sound like the Greek word for "poop."

--S
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

There's also a Sarah who registered on the board but has never posted: Sarah Wisely (child of Dale)! I agree that it's a lovely name, and I've never known a Sara(h) who didn't live up to it.

As far as it being common, I must protest! It's just uncommon enough. Imagine going through life named Jim. Find a roomful of 20 or 30 men (in the U.S., that is) and I'll guarantee you 3 Jims, and give good odds on 5. I always wished my parents had named me Chino, like the Lee Marvin character in The Wild One. Alas, they lacked imagination, thus my brother, John, and my sisters, Susan, Margaret, Patty (Patricia) and Mary.

UP SARA(H)!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!