Embouchure problem

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Embouchure problem

Post by fsharp »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90539060@N04/8550668445/
My new Fentum, although lovely, has a very nasty problem with the embouchure, as seen in the photograph...
The wood underneath the silver oval lip plate and above the lining is very rough all round and causes lots of hiss, I tried filling it in with some beeswax but this has not been successful. Has anyone had a similar problem, and, if so , how did you remedy it?
All suggestions welcome!
"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Re: Embouchure problem

Post by jemtheflute »

Um. Right, to fix this properly the lip-plate needs to come off (probably shellacked on, so heat will free it), everything cleaned up, the lip-plate refitted snugly, and then any remaining cavity filled with wood-dust/superglue proud of the cavity, then very carefully filed away to restore the embouchure walls. At least, that's how I'd do it. Don't waste time and effort on it without removing the lip-plate - one can see it has lifted. If you try to fill it as-is, you'll just make matters worse and complicate the eventual full repair. The alternative would be, having removed the lip-plate, to bush the (enlarged) hole with a plug of fresh wood and remake the embouchure entirely. I'd guess that would be what Chris Wilkes might be most inclined to do. Since you're near him, get the flute to him at least for advice before you do anything!

I know you're desperate to try the flute out as best may be before restoration, but mucking about with it too much short of a proper repair just isn't wise. I suppose you could try a harder wax such as paraffin candle wax like you did the beeswax- it should hold up better against warm breath; but don't use anything really adhesive - that lip-plate just has to come off!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

Thanks Jem for that sound advice, It's too nice a flute to go mucking around with it meself, so I'll contact CW asap!!
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

BTW,

Image[
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Let's see the rest of it... :wink:
fsharp

Fentum

Post by fsharp »

"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ahem!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Thanks Jem, how does one do that?
I'm not very up to speed with this kinda thing clearly!!
"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Flickr isn't the most helpful on this, but.... on the photo's page on Flickr, click the "share" tab. In the drop down, click on "grab the HTML/BBCode" and choose BBCode. Then choose the image size in the option bar - not wider than 700 pixels for C&F - then click on the code in the box above and copy it to your clipboard. Then come to C&F and, in your post, paste in the code. It includes several different formats between codes in square brackets. Delete all save the info/code between the [img] bracket sets plus those bracket sets themselves. Preview your post to check it's working, then post it. Simples, though some other hosting services are easier (in that they'll give you/let you choose just the img code on its own......). If you click on "quote" on my posting of your photo, you'll be able to see what I actually posted - then cancel it, of course.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Or just let Jem do it....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Steve Bliven wrote:Or just let Jem do it....
Ha! :poke:
There are limits...... (to even my helpfulness.....)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Lovely flute :thumbsup:

What about replacing the chimney with silver as well (a question, not a suggestion)?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

monkeymonk wrote:What about replacing the chimney with silver as well (a question, not a suggestion)?
Very fiddly (if not impossible - how're you going to solder the proposed silver chimney to both the brass liner tube and the lip-plate with the wood there, and how could you get the wood out of the way and then back in place?........), highly skilled, expensive, a major departure from the original and rather (totally) pointless, IMO..... In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is impossible as an adaptation of the existing head. Easier to make an all-metal substitute headjoint!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

jemtheflute wrote:
monkeymonk wrote:What about replacing the chimney with silver as well (a question, not a suggestion)?
Very fiddly (if not impossible - how're you going to solder the proposed silver chimney to both the brass liner tube and the lip-plate with the wood there, and how could you get the wood out of the way and then back in place?........), highly skilled, expensive, a major departure from the original and rather (totally) pointless, IMO..... In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is impossible as an adaptation of the existing head. Easier to make an all-metal substitute headjoint!
I believe you if you say it's a silly idea and probably not worth the bother. I'll leave my own guesses as to how it would be done away as they are based only on my experience making jewelry.

I never thought the silver would be soldered either to the brass liner or while the lip plate was still attached to the flute. I was simply curious as i have seen photographs of simple system flutes with silver lip plates and also silver bands going around the entire head joint and, having never held one, was wondering if the chimneys were sometimes silver as well and if modern simple system flute makers ever fitted silver lip plates with silver chimneys.
Last edited by monkeymonk on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The Fentum looks first class!
Keep in mind, the lip plate is probably leaking too. Sometimes the lip plates are riveted onto the flute to secure them, keep this in mind when removing it.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon