To oil or humidify

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

To oil or humidify

Post by fsharp »

Hi, I'm soon to acquire an 8-Key Fentum, which I'm supposing will not have been played for a year or so, Will i best allowing the flute acquire some moisture from a humidifier; playing it so that my moist breath humidifys it, or oil it first before playing? Any ideas?
"is it about a bicycle"?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: To oil or humidify

Post by Nanohedron »

Blackwood? If so, my opinion is that oiling it is far less important than keeping it humidified at at least 45-50%, either in a container or ambiently. I wouldn't rely on breath alone to do the job right.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Isn't it more likely to be cocus? My Fentum is (which is still available to anyone who fancies one, btw).

I'd be interested to compare mine with yours, fsharp, since I think you're just up the road from me. Do you go to any sessions not too far from Ross?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I would say, first humidify it in a plastic container with a sponge, keeping the humidity around 50-60%, then after about a week oil it. You can play it during this time, but not so it is sopping inside. the trick is to get the flute evenly humidified inside and out, before oiling it, as the oil will impede the humidity.
The flute could be made from Cocus or a type of ebony. When Wylde went on his own, it might have been hard for him to get good quality timber, I have seen some of his early flutes made from this wood.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

Just received the flute nice instrument, How Do I upload photos?
"is it about a bicycle"?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

fsharp wrote:Just received the flute nice instrument, How Do I upload photos?
viewtopic.php?style=1&f=5&t=23407

Basically: Upload your photos to a photo sharing site and paste the links in your post.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Thalatta »

To fsharp and moderator, and anyone else who has a Fentum: would you mind providing photos and stamp details (addresses, initials appearing on the flute)? Thanks a lot. If you're interested, I posted a post, as you say... about a year ago with all the information I could collect (on my own and thanks to many chiffers here) about Fentums. Thanks,
Shane
Thalatta
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

To fsharp and moderator, and anyone else who has a Fentum: would you mind providing photos and stamp details (addresses, initials appearing on the flute)? Thanks a lot. If you're interested, I posted a post, as you say... about a year ago with all the information I could collect (on my own and thanks to many chiffers here) about Fentums. Thanks,
Shane
Caoimhín Ó Feargháil plays a fancy looking Fentum (I think it's the one with wide rings at the beginning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSQGQi9_mg
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

I'll post some pictures soon.
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Fentum

Post by fsharp »

The marks on the Fentum are H Fentum 6 Surrey St, Strand, London.
the keys have N or IN inscribed on them
Broad silver engraved rings on all sections
If you go to Pamelas Music.co.uk look under flutes and you'll see some good pictures.
"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice catch. Good price, IMO.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

thanks Jem, I think so too!
One or two little hairline cracks, and there is a void in the wood all round the embouchure under the lipplate which I've temporarily filled with beeswax so that it's playable but with a nice breathy tone, but it'll have to be repaired properly fairly soon.
"is it about a bicycle"?
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

How humid must it be? Some say between 50 and 60, others say not below 40 or 40 percent. What is the exact humidity to preserve and keep my flutes. The best,
Ron