Matt Molloy VS. Mike McGoldrick

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Matt Molloy VS. Mike McGoldrick

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Their flute playing sounds different. McGoldrick sounds smoother whereas Molloy seems to have a sharper edge in his playing. Sounds rough and maybe nasally. Is this just a difference in embouchure or does the kind of flute they use change the sound?
Nathaniel James Dowell
Clover

Re: Matt Molloy VS. Mike McGoldrick

Post by Clover »

Hard to argue against the master but MMG is a beast too. I like him.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

It's mostly the player/embouchure. Both of them have a distinctive sound no matter what flute they play.

Part of the "roughness" is also about attack and breath.

B
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Ditto Brendan. Although, what flute they play probably still has some effect on the sound. I personally like McGoldrick's sound better. He seems to have a much more full and satisfactory tone, while what I've heard from Molloy is a much reedier sound with not much substance to it. But that's just my opinion.

I find that I can get close to the Molloy sound by rolling the headjoint way in and blowing further down. For the McGoldrick sound - rolling the headjoint further out than the Molloy, and blowing a little higher. Now, the only "professional" fluter's sound that I think I can really imitate is Orlaith McAuliffe's. :party:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

MeMyselfandI wrote:(McGoldrick) seems to have a much more full and satisfactory tone, while what I've heard from Molloy is a much reedier sound with not much substance to it.
:shock:

Wow.

Didn't think i'd ever hear/read anyone say Molloy's sound is without much substance.

:boggle:

I'm stupified.

:o

The king of octave changes and harmonics mid-stream without substance.

The thought just hangs there like a molasses drip in an icy wind.
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

I wouldn't say it's without substance, but I'm not the greatest fan of his tone either. It's much reedier/harsher than I would personally prefer. I can certainly see how McGoldrick's mellowness would be more attractive.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Don't forget to take into account that a lot of Matt Molloy's recordings, especially earlier ones, were on higher-pitched flutes. You may be comparing apples and oranges.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

With his old Pratten flute Matt had the most magnificent tone, one of the best I can think of.
I find Mike's tone boring and lacking balls in comparison, but that's just a matter of taste.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

I think Molloy's tone was more or less perfect on the Rudall(?) he was playing with the Bothy Band.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

They're both OK on flute, but what I want to know is who you'd take in a fight.

I think Malloy has the size, but McGoldrick the youth. Too close to call.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

McGoldrick's sound has changed over time. On his first album, "Morning Rory", he sounds very very similar to Molloy. In fact, I'd say McGoldrick plays as close to Molloy as anyone I've heard. Subsequently, McGoldrick's sound I'd say has become more modern, more flute-oriented, less piper-esque, e.g. fewer cranns.

Actually I think if you compare McGoldrick's early recordings with Molloy early playing on the Rudall, a la Bothy Band (McGoldrick still plays Rudall-based flutes whereas Molloy went to Prattens), you'd be comparing apples to apples and finding their playing very alike.

A big difference now is that McGoldrick is a light-blowing Rudall player whereas Molloy is a hard-blowing Pratten player.

They are two of my favorite players, both in the Roscommon style. Molloy is the godfather of Irish fluting; McGoldrick the leader in progressive trad Irish fluting. Both are awesome.
daiv

Post by daiv »

definitely the player, not the flute. molloy has at various points played rudalls and prattens and he always sounds distinctive. sure the sound may be a bit different between them, but i would say that he has always had the sort of things (strangely) denigrated here.

i think the key thing here is what akiba points out: any good professional must distinguish himself in some way, especially as their career and style develops. if matt molloy has the market on reedy and explosive, then mcgoldrick can corner the other side, which would be more mellow. instantly, they are no longer overlapping for the same space in someone's heart. i think that listening to other elements in their playing we can see that they are definitely going for different overall approaches, as well.
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Molloy is the complete package, though I'll have a listen to McGoldrick too :D

Matt Molloy - Live on The Session this for me shows the mans expressiveness and immense skills, particularly the slow air @ 5:33 "Scaradh De Compánach"

Set list
0:00 - Welcome by Donal Lunney
0:26 - Matt Molloy tune introductions
0:57 - The Independence (Horn Pipe)
2:35 - Jim Donahue from Sligo (Reel)
3:41 - The gravel walks(The gravel walks to Granny)(Reel)
5:26 - Matt Molloy tune introductions
5:33 - Scaradh de compánach (The parting of companions)
8:11 - Reels (various)
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

hard to believe this "discussion" is actually taking place.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

dlambert wrote:hard to believe this "discussion" is actually taking place.
:thumbsup: