Hygrometer Recommendation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sfwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Hygrometer Recommendation

Post by sfwhistle »

Now that I'm acquiring some wooden flutes and whistles, I'd like to get a hygrometer. I've read through several topics on the forum, but I haven't been able to find a gauge/meter/sensor that has been recommended. It's possible I just missed it.

I also went to the Martin Guitar Forum, as one forum member suggested, but there was almost too much information.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Hygrometer Recommendation

Post by Terry McGee »

If you are going to buy it from a shop, look at as many as you can in the shop, and particularly the expensive ones. Then buy one that reads about the same as the average expensive one.

Logic behind this is that it doesn't cost much to make a hygrometer, but it costs a lot to calibrate one, as that requires human intervention. So, even though the cheap ones are often calibratable, they aren't calibrated!

Terry
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What kind of a shop has hygrometers?
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jim stone wrote:What kind of a shop has hygrometers?
Cigar shops...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

...and hardware stores.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use this one and have been happy with it.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
JJW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JJW »

Radio Shack also carries one or two hygrometer/thermometer models. Mine seems to register accurately.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

... and music stores, and guitar shops / violin shops (luthiers). Science/learning stores like The Nature Store or Nature et Découvertes. Even Wal-Mart sells hygrometers and home weather stations.

As Terry said, the problem is accuracy and reliability. And for that, you can't beat a wet/dry bulb hygrometer or a sling psychrometer. The first is fixed (wall mounted) and not too expensive. The second is more pricey and ... awkward. Not that I've always thought swinging one around at a session wouldn't be totally cool.

To me, the ideal is a small, portable hygrometer that can be calibrated at will against a wet/dry bulb. Unfortunately, user adjustability seems to be rare (however ridiculous that seems in a measuring instrument). My Planet Waves (D'Addario) unit from Guitar Center is no different, and I don't really trust the numbers. Then again, at my location humidity usually varies between very very dry and insanely dry. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks
woodfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by woodfluter »

I have one small enough for instrument cases, even some flute cases.
Made by "Oasis". 30 x 10 x 8 mm. Purchased from Elderly Instruments in Michigan.
They recommeded it because they said it agrees very well, out of the box, with their rather expensive ones used in rooms storing vingage guitars, etc.
They implied that many makes didn't...
For whatever that's worth.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

There is a fun article on Wikipedia discussing hygrometers. Clearly a hygrometer using a strand of hair under tension may easily need calibration! Surprisingly I found the sling bulb hygrometers are not the most accurate. . .the were found to read high by 2 to 5 degrees R.H.
Chilled mirror dewpoint hygrometers are now considered the most accurate but are probably not very portable! They give a good rundown on both resistive and capacitive hygrometers. . .both need calibration. I don't think I've ever seen a listing for which type was on any of the very many hygrometers I have employed over the years (mushroom cultivation) they just said "electronic".. Thermal conductivity hygroometers provide absolute humidity (not much use to musicians) and are pricey. I've never used one. Relative humidity is more meaningful for most of us. After spending a sizeable sum of money over a period years on hygrometers, I found the appearance of the mushrooms in my growing room were a better and more immediate measure of the R.H. Again, not much use to a musician. . .!

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

an seanduine wrote:Chilled mirror dewpoint hygrometers are now considered the most accurate but are probably not very portable!
And they can cost as much or more than your flute, up to thousands of dollars. Whereas you can get a dry/wet bulb for around $40.
an seanduine wrote:Surprisingly I found the sling bulb hygrometers are not the most accurate. . .the were found to read high by 2 to 5 degrees R.H.
I guess by degrees you mean percentage points of relative humidity (RH). Actually, if you're reading within 2% or so, that's about the accuracy limit of any consumer grade hygrometer anyway, and more than good enough for checking instrument humidification.

By contrast ... Happily, there are a number of home weather stations in my neighborhood live on the internet and checkable online (e.g. via Weather Underground). So it's easy to get an average outdoor RH for my area. And the last time I deliberately left my electronic hygrometer outside in an appropriate location on a fairly humid day, the reading was off by 30% RH or more, IIRC. Which hardly inspires confidence.

It's also hard to figure out the thing's response time. If I test it by breathing warm, moist breath into the sensor, it may take minutes to register the higher humidity, and then hours to settle back down to some ambient value. Which is fine for a once-a-day room check. But if you want a hygrometer to keep with your case, that you can check for humidity issues when you first walk into a new venue without waiting for hours, sluggish response is essentially useless.

Unfortunately, Terry's good buying advice above may be hard to implement in practice. If you buy a single hygrometer online, there's nothing to compare. A store may carry only one kind or brand or all cheapies, and they may all be wrong (so the average may be wrong). At least with a wet/dry bulb on hand you can, in theory, calibrate the thermometers, then have a reliable at-home reference to check portable devices against.

But I do like the idea of the shrooms. Maybe a miniature mushroom garden in your case. When you open it up, everyone will shout: "Oh, look, fungi!" And you can reply: "Why yes ... yes I am!"
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
david_h

Post by david_h »

My neighbour has a bunch of seaweed hanging in the porch next to the barometer. I know he calibrates the barometer against the local met station. Not sure about the seaweed.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Unfortunately an acquaintance in the shiitake biz, who used to own "Fun Guy Farm" strayed from the straight and narrow and is now a long term guest of the Canadian Government. . . :o

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

How to Calibrate a Hygrometer - http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpreso ... ometer.htm

may be of use to someone