Tuba Lips, Guitar Nipples and more

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tuba Lips, Guitar Nipples and more

Post by BillG »

List - carpal tunnel? Wrist pain? Headaches from playing too much? Flute? You gotta read THIS article in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Mar23.html

BillG :boggle:
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Yeah, now if something is in THAT newspaper, you can be sure it is right on the same level as as those magazines you get at the grocery checkout. :boggle:
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I noticed they mentioned bagpipe fungus. Bagpipe fungus is a myth. Here's a link: http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/fungus.html
Cheers,
Aaron
madfifer9

Terrific

Post by madfifer9 »

Oh great.

"The flute is a biomechanically impossible instrument to play," says Scott Brown, chief of the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore and a musician himself.

Now they tell me.

I have noticed difficulties when marching and playing at the same time, the transverse hold on the flute/fife makes it very difficult to watch where you are going. I tend to lean over toward my right with the instrument at about a 100-105 degree angle.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Curious that nowhere in that article are "guitar nipples" defined. As a guitarist, I feel I need to know about this.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Guitar nipples are actually located on the guitar. They're an optional accessory, developed fairly recently, that allows you to milk a tune for all it's worth. I don't know that any Irish guitar players have actually had nipples installed on their guitars yet, but then again the guitar is still a fairly new instrument in Irish music, and its use is still a bit controversial. Adding nipples would only make it more so.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I've discovered an upside to fluteplaying: the embouchure work has enhanced my dimples much to the admiration of all. :wink:
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Oh jeez!! You had to remind me, Nano! I can't STAND my dimples cos people always say how cute they are when I smile.

Though I do smile a lot. And they are quite obvious when I play.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Re: Terrific

Post by jim_mc »

madfifer9 wrote:
I have noticed difficulties when marching and playing at the same time, the transverse hold on the flute/fife makes it very difficult to watch where you are going. I tend to lean over toward my right with the instrument at about a 100-105 degree angle.

madfifer9
Funny you mention that. I never noticed until I was promoted to sergeant and had to move into the front rank. I used to just look at the back of the head of the person in front of me. Now I need to watch where I'm going a little better and it is difficult. You're the lead fifer for your corps, which would put you in the front rank, right?

Hopefully one of the kids will get better than me and I can step back to the rear. :wink:
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

When I first started playing autoharp my left wrist would be in agony. I had to make myself stop for a few minutes every half hour or so.

Dave Grisman mentions on his website that he played four different parts on one of his albums and recorded it all in a couple days. He almost lost the use of his wrist.

In spite of the truth that you can overuse certain muscles playing too much I still can't stand the Post and the article is another one of those attempts to let us all know how bad everything is for you. :evil:
The next thing you'll know they'll outlaw musical instruments or force yet another idiotic warning label.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm