Newb proximity alert. Lack of octave control imminent.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Captain_Tightpants
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Newb proximity alert. Lack of octave control imminent.

Post by Captain_Tightpants »

Hello all, I'm Craig and I'm new to the forum and the whistle. I didn't see an 'introductions' forum so I thought I'd just dive in here.

In fact, I only discovered the instrument even existed a week ago when I was considering taking up the concert flute and, upon having a coronary at seeing how expensive they are, went on a Google search of "wind instruments for po folks" and came across "Thoughts on the Irish Pennywhistle" on Youtube. I fell in love with the sound (even though I now realize the video maker had a metric crapton of reverb added to his soundtrack) and zipped out to buy one. Fifty bucks in gas and many blank stares at local music stores later, I finally came across a place that sold them and got myself a Feodog D Whistle (brass with a plastic green fipple) for twelve dollah. I've endured the suggestions from the wife that playing Irish music is traitorous to my nationality (I'm a Brit) and I think the worst of the "snake charmer" comments have also passed. My cats are sufficiently convinced that aliens have landed and I've become expert at hiding in my car to practice with it during lunch breaks.

In other times and places I'm a horror author and contact juggler/fire spinner. The whistle also seems like the perfect instrument as it will not get me kicked out of renfaires if I bust it out at the picnic tables. Third bonus is that I can learn pen-spinning with it, which is another one of those useless skills I've always felt compelled to try.

So yarp, that's my introduction... I hope to make some friends here and learn some tunes and generally waste a lot of work time while getting paid for it.

~Craig
:pint:
Feadoggie

Re: Newb proximity alert. Lack of octave control imminent.

Post by Feadoggie »

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Captain_Tightpants wrote: I've endured the suggestions from the wife that playing Irish music is traitorous to my nationality (I'm a Brit)
Well, if you are feeling patriotic you can always play a Clarke or a Generation whistle since both are British made (among others).
Captain_Tightpants wrote:The whistle also seems like the perfect instrument as it will not get me kicked out of renfaires if I bust it out at the picnic tables.
That depends entirely on the Ren Faire and who the sheriff might be. I've known metal bodied, plastic headed whistles to be out of bounds among the cognoscenti. Best to go with a good wooden instrument - and there goes your "po' folk" paradigm. I made and sold whistles fashioned out of plastic pipe at the local faire but had to hawk them as being made of (faux) unicorn ivory to pass the organizers's scrutiny. You know, those people can be so 14th Century at times.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum, its a good place to be. Keep it fun... always fun... that's what its about. :)

Enjoy the whistle you have at hand... there will be more I'm sure. :D :D :D

Welcome :thumbsup:
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Craig if you are learning under your own steam you should consider getting the Clarke tin whistle tutor book highly recommended throughout the boards check my sig. The Clarke tin whistle book will also introduce to a host of English, Scottish and American tunes as well as a healthy collection of Irish traditional tunes too. In my signature you'll also find an easy to follow on-line tutorial created by Ryan Duns. Welcome to the C&F whistle board, good luck and keep whistling :)

Clarke tin whistle tutorial link
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Craig,

Welcome to a place of wonder. Use the search feature. Ask questions when you get stuck. But play and play often. Don't listen to the cats and dogs, they have no taste at all. Listen to your wife, or the price you pay will be dire.

As you get better, she'll embrace it. Maybe :really:

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

Captain_Tightpants wrote:Hello all, I'm Craig and I'm new to the forum and the whistle.

In fact, I only discovered the instrument even existed a week ago (.....)
~Craig
:pint:
Hi Craig!
I see, you're in the same situation as I am.
I started about maybe 8 days ago and I'm new here as well.

I also had and still have slight probs with the higher octave and I'm working on it.

I ordered several whistles and have received 3 of them yet. I also start to play the Irish Flute as one of my main flutes.
My whistles kinda "take a ride on the already rollin' flute train. :lol:
I was mainly drawn to the whistles after hearing the Star Trek theme "Inner Light".

The reason I bought several whistles was to have a chance to choose the one I like best and it was a good decision.

When playing the 2nd octave (and playing the whistle in general), there are big differences in sound and playability.
So you might wanna check others as well if it is within your budget.

I can only talk from experience with my three whistles during the past 8 days, which I started a topic about here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92426

There is big differences and with a different whistle my high octave INSTANTLY improved!

Enjoy the boards, I'll see ya around! :)
Regards from Germany,
Dee
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

Code: Select all

Hello all, I'm Craig and I'm new ...[/quote]Hello Craig and welcome.

[quote="Inner Light"]...The reason I bought several whistles was to have a chance to choose the one I like best and it was a good decision...[/quote]I'm beginner too (well, I'm rather long-term beginner) but I'm not sure if a beginner can decide which whistle is better by other way than by accident.

I think that playing 2nd octave tones is improved mainly by practicing, regardless of whistle. For me, it took about one month to play whole 2nd octave. For first week I thought it is almost impossible to play anything above 2nd "e" or "f".

Instant improve can be caused that different whistles has different air consumption.
Try to play on your Clarke a few month later, after you learn to breath, and I think you'll ask itself "Why I took it away?".
BTW. Isn't there a common tweak of Clarke original about its windway? Something like [url=http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?p=507713#p507713]this[/url] and [url=http://s25.beta.photobucket.com/user/straycat82/media/ClarkeTweak.jpg.html]this[/url]?

- 
My first whistle was Clarke Sweetone (that's why I can be wrong with your whistle, this one has plastic fipple). I don't play on it due to stupid reason - appearance. I don't like it's conical shape. I know, this shape should be more traditional, but when I saw cylindric brass whistle first time ... there wasn't way to back :-).
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

kmarty wrote:I'm beginner too (well, I'm rather long-term beginner) but I'm not sure if a beginner can decide which whistle is better by other way than by accident.

As a 30-year-experienced musician with almost professional musical understanding I can at least tell whether I like what I hear and feel. As a beginner I choose the one that sounds nice and plays the easiest, which brings more joy while practicing. I'm already selling my Clarke Original because it sucks for what I personally want. Somebody else's taste might be different. The more difficult to play Shaw stays with me, I surely will get back to it when I'm better.

I think that playing 2nd octave tones is improved mainly by practicing, regardless of whistle.
I still have probs on the Clarke Original and the Shaw but it works much better on the Sweetone. If it was just due to practicing, I could do it equally good on all three.

Instant improve can be caused that different whistles has different air consumption.
Yes! That's why I prefer the Sweetone over the Shaw right now. That might change later though.
The Clarke Original simply hurts my ears and I can't stand it. The Shaw is a little nicer, the Sweetone is just ... sweet!

BTW. Isn't there a common tweak of Clarke original about its windway? Something like this and this?

I don't know but I don't tweak instruments anyway. If they don't do what I want, they're faster gone than I could buy them.
I simply buy a better one. Same with my guitars. I'm not the kind of guy fooling around with different pickups or necks. Either I like it as is or it is expendable.
I might buy an instrument which was tweaked by a professional though.

-
My first whistle was Clarke Sweetone (that's why I can be wrong with your whistle, this one has plastic fipple). I don't play on it due to stupid reason - appearance. I don't like it's conical shape. I know, this shape should be more traditional, but when I saw cylindric brass whistle first time ... there wasn't way to back :-).

That's exactly what I said in the beginning as well! I just didn't like those cheap looking plastic mouthpieces (for optical reasons). They make the whistle look like a child's toy.
If there's one thing I've learned on my long search for my "perfect" guitar, it was that "look doesn't matter".
So I ordered 2 whistles with those plastic mouthpieces. The Sweetone has arrived already and guess what? It's ugly as hell but it sounds very, very nice and the ugly mouthpiece feels much more comfortable on my lips. So I enjoy the sound and try to avoid mirrors while playing! :lol:
I have the black one because the colorful ones are even more ugly for my personal taste. I'm very glad that I gave the plastic mouthpiece a chance. :thumbsup:
For me, there's only two colors for whistles: black and natural (nickel or brass).

The most important factor to me is playability, feel and tone of course. I always prefer "eye candy" but only when the other factors are there already.
As a beginner I might judge these factors differently from an experienced player but I AM(!) a beginner, so out of the choices with positive feedback from other players, I MUST choose the one I feel most comfortable with.

I do agree with your very first sentence in this quote if the beginner has no musical knowledge and experience and has never played any instrument before.
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

I mentioned the plastic fipple just because your Clarke has different fipple. Your has often too big windway (I thought you have Clarke Original, not Clarke Sweetone).
My favorite whistle, Freeman Mellow Dog, has plastic fipple and I like it more than metal fipples (for example in whole aluminium whistles).

BTW. Your red color seems to be stucked. It looks like you yell at me.

If we started wrong, it could be due to my bad english. If something sounded rude, then sorry.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'm beginner too (well, I'm rather long-term beginner) but I'm not sure if a beginner can decide which whistle is better by other way than by accident.
As a 30-year-experienced musician with almost professional musical understanding I can at least tell whether I like what I hear and feel. As a beginner I choose the one that sounds nice and plays the easiest, which brings more joy while practicing. I'm already selling my Clarke Original because it sucks for what I personally want. Somebody else's taste might be different. The more difficult to play Shaw stays with me, I surely will get back to it when I'm better.
I think kmarty made a very good point there. Chiffboard has a long history of people complaing about and condemning perfectly fine whistles because they were not able to play them properly. There's the old board joke 'when you put the whistle in a drawer and come back to it in a few years, you'll find it has much improved with time'.

Equally the praises have been widely sung of whistles that no serious whistler would want to be seen with.

It's the interwebs, everybody has an opinion, some opinions however, are more well-founded than others. The trick is to discern who is talking sense and who isn't.
My brain hurts

Captain_Tightpants

Post by Captain_Tightpants »

I'm in love with my cheapy Feadog D right now. I'm sure over time I'll garner a collection of whistles large enough to occupy a small island. I do like the more woody, breathy sound I've noticed from the Clarkes on internet videos but that's something I'll look forward to playing with in the future. I can't even play a single tune through yet so worrying about subtleties of sound (Chiff?) seems a bit premature :)

I might plump for a lower whistle too though, just so my cats don't treat me like a dying bird when I practice.
megapop

Post by megapop »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There's the old board joke 'when you put the whistle in a drawer and come back to it in a few years, you'll find it has much improved with time'.
And in my experience, the Clarke Original is such a "drawer whistle" par excellence...
kmarty wrote:Isn't there a common tweak of Clarke original about its windway? Something like this and this?
You forgot this! :P
Captain_Tightpants wrote:I'm in love with my cheapy Feadog D right now. I'm sure over time I'll garner a collection of whistles large enough to occupy a small island. I do like the more woody, breathy sound I've noticed from the Clarkes on internet videos but that's something I'll look forward to playing with in the future. I can't even play a single tune through yet so worrying about subtleties of sound (Chiff?) seems a bit premature :)
Very good point, Craig! Just concentrating on your playing rather than on different whistles is probably the best you can do. And Feadógs are fine whistles. So good luck, captain, sir! :)
return null;
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

kmarty wrote: (I thought you have Clarke Original, not Clarke Sweetone).
I have both.

BTW. Your red color seems to be stucked. It looks like you yell at me.
That was not my intention, I'm sorry. I always highlight my text when I put it directly into a quote so it can be easily told apart from the OP's text.
Is green better?
:)

If we started wrong, it could be due to my bad english. If something sounded rude, then sorry.

No worries, Marty, everything's fine! :thumbsup:
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

Oh, ok.
I was afraid that I make you angry.
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There's the old board joke 'when you put the whistle in a drawer and come back to it in a few years, you'll find it has much improved with time'.

Equally the praises have been widely sung of whistles that no serious whistler would want to be seen with.

It's the interwebs, everybody has an opinion, some opinions however, are more well-founded than others. The trick is to discern who is talking sense and who isn't.
That of corse is true, it can happen.
I made the same experience in other forums.

That's why I keep the Shaw. I think I'm not experienced enough to really judge it but online feedbacks were good, I liked the sound samples, I like the sound when I play it myself without much experience and I like the slightly bigger holes. Last but not least, it also features a nice look.
I know myself, if I really don't like something, I will never touch it again. If that makes me miss one or two certain good whistles, it's no big deal. There's other really good ones which I will like.

Also: it differs from player to player, what exactly is good or not. The majority agrees about what is junk but when reaching the "family of good whistles", the players individual preferences play a big role as well. It also depends on what you wanna play. A whistle perfect for ITM might be completely misplaced in a ballad.
Good overall quality doesn't necessarily mean that it's also perfect for what you want to do with it or what you want to sound like.