Weird, non-helpful, descriptive images for whistle sounds...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Weird, non-helpful, descriptive images for whistle sounds...

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I'm wondering if any of you have thought of some of these whilst you have been playing your whistles. For example, I have heard the sound of the Overton/Goldie whistles described as

"The Cosmic Drainpipe".

This means nothing to one who has not played these whistles, but might make perfect sense to someone who has. Similarly, when I played the MK Pro, my overwhelming thought for a long time was that the tone was akin to

"Dried Onions".

After considering this for a while, I realized that this descriptor is not only unhelpful in describing the MK's tone, but it is also relatively abstract, as I can't even put my finger on why this comes to mind. Never the less, it does.

Do any of you have examples of something like this?
Nathaniel James Dowell
MTGuru

Re: Weird, non-helpful, descriptive images for whistle sounds...

Post by MTGuru »

Synaesthesia is an interesting thing. What color is the sound of your whistle?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

MTGuru wrote:What color is the sound of your whistle?
Green
Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

MTGuru wrote:Synaesthesia is an interesting thing. What color is the sound of your whistle?
I can half-hole a blue note.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

When I think cosmic drainpipe, I am reminded of this slow air (forgive me for posting something with Titanic attached to it, but since this was never in the movie maybe that sort of redeems?). This is probably an over exaggeration of it. Anyways, cosmic drainpipe sounds like the loon sound effects you hear in a movie, echoey, "haunting". Kinda like singing in a shower through a tube in my opinion. As an MK player as well you won't get to hear this effect as I find MKs have a bit more buzz and woody sound like a flute. Hopefully my weird descriptive imaging is somewhat helpful to you now. :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4YqFQVavS6o
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

To hear a proper drainpipe, sampled to Fairlight synth: http://youtu.be/SNrgNllOxMI around 7:06
Whether it's cosmic or not is up to the listener i guess :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:To hear a proper drainpipe, sampled to Fairlight synth: http://youtu.be/SNrgNllOxMI around 7:06
Whether it's cosmic or not is up to the listener i guess
A "proper" drainpipe. That's really funny. Why not use a real drainpipe? (Blue Man Group!) Actually, Bernard Overton got the sound down pretty well and our fearless king of Internet tinwhistle journalism described it just as well.

Yeah, the Fairlight seemed to define the sound of 80's music. It was the ultimate show of decadence in the "my studio is bigger than your studio" wars of the era. Isn't it curious that people would spend $50,000 for a computer based synthesizer to replicate the sound of a $100 low whistle. Yes, I know it was really great at reproducing things like the sound of wind rushing through a pipe in a building sized pipe organ - and it was less expensive than those and a bit more portable. The shakuhachi sounds were all the rage. Weren't they? Still....I guess it led to the current technology we enjoy in software based synthesis, digital recording and so on. No less relevant today than a resonator guitar I suppose.

Fairlight's latest product is an iPhone app. We've come so far. :)
AngelicBeaver wrote:After considering this for a while, I realized that this descriptor is not only unhelpful in describing the MK's tone, but it is also relatively abstract, as I can't even put my finger on why this comes to mind. Never the less, it does.
Yes, as some would say, "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture". What else do we have? Do we just keep on dancing? Yes.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ah, synaesthesia....... ( :wink: )

My favourite word/concept. 8) :)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The "E" in the second octave on my MK Low D sounds like a tsunami of consciousness
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I actually find "Flutey" to be misleading.

The reason for this is because I have heard a person describe two whistles, and call one of them flutey, and talk as though the other one is the polar opposite. Then I've heard somebody else describe those same two whistles, and switch them around and say the opposite one is flutey, and the other one is not. I've heard overtons, burkes, MK's, all called flutey. Oh, and clarke originals (Huh?! Flutey how?) ! None of them sound like an irish flute to me, at all. Perhaps there are some slight characteristics which might be a little bit linked to some aspect of the flute's sound (which varies more than any low whistle in the first place), but I really don't think it's enough that it would make it an overall "flutey" sounding instrument, or that any low whistles sound flutey.

I have never heard any recording where it is difficult to distinguish whether it's a flute or low whistle being played. If there are any flutey low whistles out there, I haven't heard them yet. Although I know that an irish flute can get a sound more similar to some low whistles, than a low whistle can get to some of the sounds a flute can produce. However, not enough that a difference can not be heard, or that the whistle is itself sounding like a flute.

Beyond my thoughts on low whistles not being flutey, the real reason it isn't a helpful term is because it seems every low whistle is called flutey by somebody, and non-flutey by somebody else. There is no real standard of saying what it a flutey low whistle and what isn't, so it's not a term that has really carried much weight with me as a descriptive quality.

Really, I find most all of the descriptive qualities hard to go by, for me. Save for things like "Clear" , or "smokey" , which I can follow a bit better and are clearer descriptive terms, in my opinion.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Sirchronique wrote: None of them sound like an irish flute to me, at all.
maybe that's because Irish flutes don't sound 'flutey' - they sound 'reedy' :D (search the flute forum for 'hard dark tone')
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

"Smokey" is actually a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. "Smokey" generally means that the air is filled with gases, carbon particles, and other particulates produced by the combustion process. For someone to say that a sound is "smokey" requires that person to have an abstract idea of what "smokey" would sound like.

Alternately, one could describe Nat King Cole or Bing Crosby's voices as "smokey" as their smoking habits certainly influenced the sound of their voices, making them deeper. If you have a whistle that sounds like Nat King Cole, you might describe the sound as "smokey".

The definition of "smokey" is determined by one's frame of reference. If several people agree on the name of a sound quality, it can be used successfully as a descriptor, but it will continue to not have meaning to those who have not heard examples of said sound quality.

It's like color. We all agree on what "red" is because a group of color scientists had a summit and determined that a particular range in the visual spectrum would be called "red", and we point to objects falling into this range and tell our children "red". Then someone decides that "red" is not descriptive enough and they make up a new word: "Amaranth". That means nothing to everyone else. So that person must spread the gospel of "Amaranth" until enough people know what it means so that it gets made into a standardized paint chip and someone paints their bedroom using it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_red)

I suppose that any sound descriptor is going to have the same issue. Even "clarity" is relative on a whistle. If one has sampled a broad range of whistles, they might have a very good understanding of where a particular whistle falls in that range. However, a person who has only played a few whistles will not have this understanding, and a "clear" whistle to them might be someone else's "smokey" whistle... or "dried onions" whistle.

Then there are the synethsthetes...
Nathaniel James Dowell
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I guess you got to be there.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Huh. I always thought of Nat King Cole's voice as "velvety". Or was that Mel Torme?

But then, my Copeland brass low D sounds that way too. Kinda'. I've always hated "pure" vs. "trad". Pure what...flute? Is that simple flute or Boehm? Trad starts where? Feadog, Walton or Gen? Does tweaking improve or damage "trad"?

I agree with Feadoggie about talking about music. It's like fighting for peace, or connecting law and order.

I've suggested a lexicon before and am still nursing bruises from that thread. But at least it does cause folks to talk about playing more and that is what keeps forums alive right? :thumbsup:

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

"Country Side Green" and a little hoarse bird song are the colours associated with my Generation Bb whistle/wand sound and spirit healer :D