George and Manby

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

George and Manby

Post by fsharp »

I've just got myself another, and probably my last flute (besides the Garry Somers Aluminium and Delrin on its way) It's a George and Manby 8 key, in Rosewood or cocus, I can't tell. The workmanship is beautiful, the keys are silver block mounted and no leaks anywhere. There are a couple of issues: 2 thin cracks running down the barrel, and a hairline crack on one of the other sections, and it plays beautifully at A440 with the slide out about 1cm.
Does anyone here know anything about George and Manby, I think they were music publishers around the 1840s in Fleet Street in London, but I don't know any more.
On another note how many of you tape up, hoseclip, or rubber band up your flutes, a la Patsy Hanley, Jack Coen, or June McCormack?
"is it about a bicycle"?
jim stone

Re: George and Manby

Post by jim stone »

Sorry, this is sideways to your question, and I'd be grateful if you would tell us about the somers delrin/aluminum flute when you get it.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

On another note how many of you tape up, hoseclip, or rubber band up your flutes, a la Patsy Hanley, Jack Coen, or June McCormack?
You can do that but a crack can get longer and larger if you don't stop it. It doesn't matter with the barrel, but you mentioned a hairline crack on one of the other section, it will very likely get worse with the flute being played.
So, any picture? :)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Can you post photos of your George and Mamby flute? Is the jury still out on these flutes, or were they made by R&R or Henry Wylde?
Better send it to Jem for repair! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"On another note how many of you tape up, hoseclip, or rubber band up your flutes, a la Patsy Hanley, Jack Coen, or June McCormack" Fsharp
I have one rubber band, and small leather discs under a couple of key pads to stop losing steam from my Rudall. This works for me until I can make some new leather purse pads.

Here's a photo of a George / Manby stamped flute:
Good English rosewood and silver mounted flute by George and Manby, circa 1835, stamped George and Manby Fleet Street London, with eight silver keys - http://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/catal ... 0115-0.jpg
Probably the same flute here?
http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.a ... d-flute-by

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/images/Geor ... _flute.jpg
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

That's mine!! Gardiner Houlgate from The EMS
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Yes, (less excitedly) I got it a couple of days ago, and I havent been able to putit down. My embouchure is a little slack after not playing for a few months, but it's coming together.
As For repair, I live not too far from Chris Wilkes, so in the not too distant future, maybe once I've had a bit of fun with it, and received my new Somers, I'll get him to have a look at it. In the meantime I'm enjoying it!
"is it about a bicycle"?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Can you post photos of your George and Mamby flute? Is the jury still out on these flutes, or were they made by R&R or Henry Wylde?
It actually looks really similar to my Wylde, even the keys are identical (other than the long F touch, that is bent the other way on my one), with the same straight high C key.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I live not too far from Chris Wilkes, so in the not too distant future, maybe once I've had a bit of fun with it, and received my new Somers, I'll get him to have a look at it. In the meantime I'm enjoying it!" Fsharp.

That's cool Fsharp. I got my rudall from G&H. Please say hello to Chris from me when you go and see him. Unlike some Chris is an honest man and maker of flutes, and a standup guy. I should fix my Rudall, but it's also fun to play and I don't have time just now. :thumbsup:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

as I recall, our departed member Andrew Kirby (g.r.h.f.s.) was the owner of the one that ended up sold through Gardiner (as were many of his estate flutes).
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Now, now, let's be kind to Andrew.

When I went to visit him, in the company of Chris Wilkes, he hated me on sight. American, long-hair, say no more. Refreshingly, he immediately shared his aversion in no uncertain terms, so at least I wasn't left wondering.

Huffing and furrowing his brow, he started handing me flutes. When I made an acceptable sound on several that he considered challenging, the ice began to thaw. By the afternoon, between music and some sharp-edged banter, I'd made a friend for life. He even served me his special dessert, which I really should remember to make for myself when there are a few over-ripe bananas hanging around the kitchen.

Capital fellow, Andrew, once you got to know him. I for one miss the cranky old b*llix.

Rob
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Capital fellow, Andrew, once you got to know him. I for one miss the cranky old b*llix." Rob Sharer.

Yes Rob, I also miss Andrew. Great fellow - I only knew his kindness. I think his crankiness was just his way of protecting himself and his beloved instruments.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

You'll never know the number of hours we spent on the telephone -- he there and i here -- laughing about our latest round of verbal fisticuffs in the forum (to much of the delight of others, too).

Good fellow, little doubt.

A crank, but a good guy (er....chap).
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

"is it about a bicycle"?
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Beautifull!