Josie Mc Dermott's Flute Restoration

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Josie Mc Dermott's Flute Restoration

Post by Jon C. »

A very challenging restoration of the late great Josie Mc Dermot's #3811 Rudall and Rose flute.
When I received this flute, it was literally growing with mold! I had to wash it several times, then soak it in linseed oil for a few days to finely kill the mold. Almost every block was broken, and it had two keys missing. Here is a photo of the first assessment:
The flute didn't look to bad, until all the little bits started falling off...

You can see the amount of usage of the flute, this is the left thumb indentation from years of playing:

Here is a photo of the new tenon:

New G# block, that was completely ripped off:
A rare look from the inside looking out!

Almost completed flute (still making the Bb key) alongside my R&R:
Image :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Josie Mc Dermott's Flute Restoration

Post by benhall.1 »

Beautiful Jon. Just beautiful.

Oh ... now you have the flute, d'ya think you could ask it if there were any more tunes in there? :D
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Looks great! (Now) :)
Who's the owner now?
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:Looks great! (Now) :)
Who's the owner now?
A gentleman in Co Sligo, who bought it from Josie.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

A very impressive restoration :thumbsup: I bet the new owner is happy. You are a true craftsman. Josie's flute lookes to have bigger tone holes than yours, or is that just the lighting? Did the restoration take a long time as so much needed to be done?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Have enjoyed watching this one unfold on Facebook, great job, when do we get the sound clip? :)
Mark
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:A very impressive restoration :thumbsup: I bet the new owner is happy. You are a true craftsman. Josie's flute lookes to have bigger tone holes than yours, or is that just the lighting? Did the restoration take a long time as so much needed to be done?
Thanks! the tone holes are about the same size, but they are so worn, you fingers slip into the nicely rounded holes... Kind of like your favorite old shoes... the flute has seen a lot of modifications in the past, shortening of the lower section to bring it into 440 tuning, and some tone hole widening...
The restoration has taken many, many hours, the mold issues delayed the repair, along with the problem of old rotting blocks falling off the flute as I worked on it! I still have to complete a replacement Bb key, along with the second spring, but I am getting close to completion. I see light at the end of the tunnel... :party:
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here he is playing his newer flute... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tlmEeRpoE
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

I have to learn these first... :boggle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU07LkzSvE
Michael Flatley

Jon
Clover

Post by Clover »

Wow, that is a stunning transformation. Congrats, it's gorgeous.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Looks grand, Jon.

I wonder if Josie was one who "watered" his flute with Guinness, as I saw done in London at the Favourite in 1974. I have never seen such healthy mould in a flute before or since. Guinness mottoes used to say "Guinness is good for you" and "There's a baby in every bottle". It certainly sustained and nourished life forms.

The chap at the Favourite then drained his flute back into the glass, and drank it. "Waste not, want not".

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice work, as ever, JC!
Going to de-crud those pewters, Jon? cf my recent FB pictures of ones in the same state?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

No chance of the pewter keys ever sealing, unless I make a new strike plate on the C#, the plate is worn away on one side??? I guess I can do the scrapping technique on the pewter plugs...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Terry McGee wrote:Looks grand, Jon.

I wonder if Josie was one who "watered" his flute with Guinness, as I saw done in London at the Favourite in 1974. I have never seen such healthy mould in a flute before or since. Guinness mottoes used to say "Guinness is good for you" and "There's a baby in every bottle". It certainly sustained and nourished life forms.

The chap at the Favourite then drained his flute back into the glass, and drank it. "Waste not, want not".

Terry
you might be on to something, Terry! It looked like the flute had "drunk deep" of Guinness... I will have to ask the owner if he has ever witnessed such a baptism by beer!
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow, Jon! You just secured your place in fluteplayers' heaven. Fantastic job and we're all grateful!!!!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.