Flat back D fix ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MattMads
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Flat back D fix ?

Post by MattMads »

This is my first winter with my Daye penny chanter. I have been pleased with the instrument and have made some progress in the last 11 months since they arrived. This is my first Winter and I am beginning to understand what it means when people talk about humidity and how it affects the pipes. For the last month or so I have had more trouble getting them to play. I have been able to adjust my bridle to keep things going but in the last two days or so my back d has just gone flat as a pancake. All of the other notes tune out (using a tuner) to be a little sharp.
When I play a scale there are no real sore thumbs, until the d. When I play the d it sounds way flat. Since this is a more recent development, and it played fine before I am wondering a few things. I am not confident in sanding or scraping or making any physical adjustments to the reed. Will I get my d back when the humidity returns?
I am in Cincinnati Ohio and have been heating my house on a daily basis. Humidity is very low in the house.
Is this a sign of a reed that may be coming to an end?
What are the symptoms of a reed going bad?
I read through the thread dry reed fix. I like the idea of piping in the shower, or letting the water run to steam things up a bit.
I also have the reed seated as deep as it can go in order to sharpen it up.
In general why would one note be so flat when all the others are playing in tune?
Thanks for any information or opinions on the matter
Matt
PhilD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flat back D fix ?

Post by PhilD »

I'd advise against scraping the reed. Its a narrow one-way road with no room for U-turns. Especially if this is your only reed!

To check out your humidity theory, or lack there of, you could try lightly dampening some kitchen tissue and placing it in one end of a Tupperware box or some other plastic container with a lid. Then place your reed in the other end of the container, but remember you don't want the reed to be in contact with the damp tissue. Put the lid on and leave for about two or three hours and the humidity will rise to 100%. Then take it out and play it and see if back D has returned. (why do I suddenly feel like Julia Child)

If you should decide to try this I wouldn't leave the reed in the container to long, like all night, it might infuse it with too much moisture.

OR, you could just play with the shower on, which might be quicker and more fun!

...but playing in the shower probably not so wise.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

If you watch Liam O'Flynn playing his D set you can see that on the back D he will often lift other fingers off the chanter to bring it up a tad into pitch. I've had this problem and the slight flatness on back D was not enough to make a difference in dance tunes but was in a slower piece. I followed O'Flynn's action and found a way to bring it into tune by lifting my index finger on my top hand and my middle finger on my lower hand (like C natural, but with the thumb removed as well). Vibrato can also be applied. I could bring it spot on that way. All other notes were o.k., as in your situation.
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

If I were you, I would carefully test the humidity theory the way PhilD suggested. If that fixes things, good! If not, here's what I'd do:

A flat back D and too sharp other notes often indicate that the reed lips are too closed. A leak in the reed might also make the back D go flat. So, first thing, check the reed for leaks: Cover the tip of the lips with a finger/flesh of your arm and suck the staple: if air comes through the reed into your mouth, there is a leak somewhere. Locate it by covering different parts of the reed with your fingers at the sides of the reed or at the sides of the binding, suck the staple and see if you have managed to restrict the air flow. Fix the leaking spot with nail polish, glue, whatever).

If there are no leaks, then try gently squeezing at the sides of the bridle to open the lips more. That should lift the back D up in pitch and lower the other notes a little bit and make the reed a little bit louder and stronger.

Good luck! :)
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

I'd recommend trying to humidify the room you're playing in if you are heating the house.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Did you contact David Daye for advice? He might have a solution.

If all else fails, you can try inserting a rush that extends to below the back d hole, lowering all notes except the back d.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I agree with all of the above, but I'd change the order of the checks and maybe make a final suggestion:

1. Check for leaks in the binding or the sides of the reed (as Islander describes).
2. Check the humidity and either get a humidifier or run the shower with the bathroom door open so the humidity can cirulate.
3. Check if the lips of the reed are too closed and adjust as necessary.

4. If none of the above options solve the problem, it might be necessary to chop a thin sliver off the lips of the reed. Cillian O'Brian demonstrates how to do it in the following clip:

http://source.pipers.ie/Media.aspx?medi ... goryId=136
PJ
MattMads

Post by MattMads »

Well, I took your suggestions and am pleased to report that my d is back. God be praised! I put the reed in a plastic container with some moist tissue. I left it there for about 2 hours with the moisture in the reed it is playing very well. I also needed to squeeze the bridle just a wee bit and things have fallen into place. For a while there I thought I was up the creek. I have ordered another reed from David but it has not arrived yet. Thank you all for replying to my post it made a big difference. Now I can look forward to the weekend!
Cheers
Matt
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Cool. The reed will probably start to be affected by the lack of humidity again sooner or later, so maybe you should look into getting a Dampit, the violin humidifier, that was mentioned in another thread, and placing it in your bag or bellows.
Brennen Fitzgerald

Post by Brennen Fitzgerald »

Gotta love Ohio. I'm about 20-30 miles north of ya, so I feel your pain. The funny thing is, my reed was made by Tim Benson, so it likes the dry cold. To quote what I said to Cathy, "last week the vent free kicked on, which quickly spikes the temp and humidity. About five minutes later, low A decided to take another call, Eb reached up and smacked me, C started cussing at me, and I swear I saw the entire second octave walk out of the bottom of the chanter, bags packed, saying something about "white shores, and a far green country" as they strolled out the back door..... I decided to let the pipes rest for the evening in the music room, which is a tad bit cooler/stable humidity and swore not to play near the vent free again."
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Winter is usually when I will build a reed. Seems a fresh reed built in dry conditions plays very well during winter. Put a pot on the boil and get some humidity in the house. Works wonders.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

And of course ... don't despair. March rains are just around the corner! Meanwhile, humidity is the solution (and of course, check for leaks, even in your windcap top if that's wooden)! A small humidifier where you're playing might be good thing.

OH, and one more thing ... mine usually take about 15 minutes to get into tune, and it seems this is not a one-off thing for the pipes. Just for curiosity, do you notice a gradual improvement after 15 minutes?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

here in the arctic bit of the Scottish Highlands I have had many reeds that "went off" in dry winter conditions only to "come back" in the more humid summer months.

Better not to scrape or whatever until you have made sure humidity and barometric pressure have been accounted for. Both of these affect the reeds, and you need a day or two of stability in each before you risk drawing any long term conclusions about the health of any given reed.

A good friend in Belfast just puts his pipes away for a day or two when they misbehave badly. He is a good player and has more than 4 decades of experience behind him !

....nobody said this would be easy......

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:thumbsup: Now I feel like a fecking genius instead of a slacker. Thanks, Boyd! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.