Any Suggestions for a Name?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MWBailey
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Any Suggestions for a Name?

Post by MWBailey »

I was going to suggest dulcinea, but then found that someone else had already done so.

I need to come to this forum more often.
You're not gonna believe this, but...
xabeba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by xabeba »

"Dulcinea" is probably a tricky one for English speakers though, in terms of pronunciation. In original Spanish that would be "dool-thee-'née-ah". I'm guessing in English it would become something like "duh" in the first syllable, and maybe rhyming with "nay" at the end, or "Lia"?

Nothing wrong with that, I reckon the Clarke Sweetone gets more than one pronunciation too :lol:
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

xabeba wrote:"Dulcinea" is probably a tricky one for English speakers though, in terms of pronunciation.
Many things are tricky for english speakers to pronounce (in the USA anyhow). Little pet peeve of mine when people aren't interested in how to pronounce someone's name properly :swear:

Up here in the Northeast we would probably pronounce it "Dull - sin - nay - eh" which still sounds nice to my ears.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Yeah, something along the lines of "dull sin ay ah" ("ay" as in "hay", "ah" short) with a mild emphasis on the 4th syllable was what I had in my (Brit) mind's ear rather than an authentic Spanish pronunciation. Don't see what's tricky about it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MWBailey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by MWBailey »

Funny thing about pronunciation; it's always correct until somebody objects... :wink:
You're not gonna believe this, but...
xabeba

Post by xabeba »

jemtheflute wrote:Yeah, something along the lines of "dull sin ay ah" ("ay" as in "hay", "ah" short) with a mild emphasis on the 4th syllable was what I had in my (Brit) mind's ear rather than an authentic Spanish pronunciation. Don't see what's tricky about it.
Just that pretty much all monolingual anglos would pronounce the name (arguably) "wrong", while those that can speak Spanish -plus various non-English speakers from all over the world- might tend to go the Spanish way. I just thought how multilingual couples tend to avoid such cases when naming a child.

Sort of like a Spanish flute maker naming one model "Shakespeare"; the most immediate potential customers would pronounce it "Chess-peer" :D Not that it's bad, a chess peer is always nice to have ;)
Clover

Post by Clover »

"Fantasia".

A flute, a fantastic instrument, tuned fabulously in F.

Hello, the name is so obvious :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I like that, Clover.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Clover

Post by Clover »

jemtheflute wrote:I like that, Clover.
Ha ha, if Walt uses it, I'll brag about it to my buddies :D .
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

"DULCINEA" is still the winner. On the drawing board, the flute still has one foot (one key-arm?). The bore turned out to be quite Irish (straight-tapered-straight); of course, I mean the bore of the classic flute, despite the 17 THs required by Boehm. The taper is less, and the choke at the end of the head is quite pronounced, probably because of the great volume in tonehole cavities. Although "DULCINEA" may not find a home with the ITM players, I now know more about improving playability of the Irish flutes: It's been an odyssey of learning (one more reference for Terry).

Walt Sweet
http://wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

The Dale. No other name is really even close.
Clover

Post by Clover »

waltsweet wrote:"DULCINEA" is still the winner. On the drawing board, the flute still has one foot (one key-arm?). The bore turned out to be quite Irish (straight-tapered-straight); of course, I mean the bore of the classic flute, despite the 17 THs required by Boehm. The taper is less, and the choke at the end of the head is quite pronounced, probably because of the great volume in tonehole cavities. Although "DULCINEA" may not find a home with the ITM players, I now know more about improving playability of the Irish flutes: It's been an odyssey of learning (one more reference for Terry).

Walt Sweet
http://wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php
Good name. Cheers :thumbsup:
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Dale wrote:The Dale. No other name is really even close.
It's about the key, though. How 'bout 'That Effin' Dale'.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde